Microsoft “Locks” the Start Menu in Windows 9 Preview...

Discus and support Microsoft “Locks” the Start Menu in Windows 9 Preview... in Windows 10 News on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; Microsoft is set to unveil the preview version of Windows 9 later this month, and everyone expects to be allowed to try out some new features,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Sep 2, 2014.

1. labeeman Win User

More

:)

labeeman, Sep 2, 2014
  2. Jason1327 Win User
    Jason1327, Sep 2, 2014
  3. MALIK YASIRNAWAZ Win User
    Window Spotligth Not working 1709

Hi,

If you haven't tried these steps, i will recommend you to please try them once.

* Press Windows + S to launch the search bar of your start menu. Type “settings” in the dialogue box and open the first result.

* Once in the settings, select the heading of “Personalize”.

* Now select Lock Screen from the navigation panel.

* Now select “Picture” from the drop-down menu under the lock screen settings and wait for the picture to be reviewed properly.

* Navigate back to settings and then come back to the lock screen settings.

*Click on the drop-down once again and select Windows Spotlight. Wait a few seconds for the picture to be previewed completely in the preview window.

* Exit the settings and restart your computer. Check if spotlight starts working again. *You need a working internet connection for Windows to download pictures.

Please let me know, if that helps.

Kind Regards:

Engr. Malik Yasir

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, Sep 2, 2014
  4. LEE
    Lee Win User

Again just more "Speculation.". . . .*Smile

5. Indianatone Win User
    Now where did I leave my Crystal ball. Oh yeah it is in my Mothers loft in Cambridgeshire England. It was to heavy to ship to Indiana.

Indianatone, Sep 3, 2014
  6. alphanumeric New Member
    It wouldn't surprise me it they did that in the early releases. It's one way to guarantee feedback on that feature.

alphanumeric, Sep 3, 2014
  7. Tony K Win User
    5016d1485948061t-microsoft-locks-start-menu-windows-9-preview-oh-no-not-again-thumb.png

Tony K, Sep 3, 2014
  8. lehnerus2000 Win User

If the article is correct, it indicates MS has no confidence in their new Start Menu design.

What is the point of the beta, if all of the new stuff is locked?

Does not bode well. *Sad

lehnerus2000, Sep 3, 2014
  9. alphanumeric New Member
    I'm fine with them locking things now, as long as I have choices when the final version goes live. On the plus side, somebody is likely already trying to cheat the lock or has already figured out how to toggle it off. The answer to "What is the point of the beta" all depends on who you ask, Microsoft or the consumer. *Wink

alphanumeric, Sep 3, 2014
  10. Rickkins Win User
    My "Oh-good-grief-O-meter" just redlined.....

Rickkins, Sep 3, 2014
  11. Jody Thornton Win User
    Later this month it will not be locked. It's locked right now so that partners with previews or those with leaked versions (at this moment) can not spread screenshots of the Start Menu.

Jody Thornton, Sep 3, 2014
  12. Tony K Win User
    Post titled "Not Good"?

A rather negative connotation. I take it you don't like MS nor their products much.

"If the article is correct" is a big IF, especially coming from this site.

If anything MS via Ballmer and Sinofsky were too confident with the release of 8. Not exactly a warm welcome to the drastic changes made. In hindsight they should have market-researched it better and at least released it with the option to boot to desktop such as in 8.1. They're both down the road and MS has moved on. On the plus side they were the backbone of creating 7.

Perhaps the feature isn't ready yet, either by incomplete writing or premarket analysis design. So as not to make a mistake again, perhaps they'll release it via an update when it is. After all, it is beta.

Perhaps I missed it, but no where in the article does it state "all of the new stuff is locked". A rather "sensational" statement to make just as presented in a lot of these types of articles.

The big > IF the article is true, then the Start Screen must be included again. That's a good thing. *Smile

Tony K, Sep 3, 2014
  13. Tony K Win User

A good observation and thought. Thanks for posting that. *Smile

Tony K, Sep 3, 2014
  14. Gornot Win User
    But... But I can't wait until later in the month for screenshots xD

Gornot, Sep 3, 2014
  15. Jody Thornton Win User
    Well to be fair, I don't know if that's correct *Smile but that's how I read the article.

Jody Thornton, Sep 3, 2014
Thema:

Microsoft “Locks” the Start Menu in Windows 9 Preview... - Similar Threads - Microsoft “Locks” Start

1. Is Microsoft trying to lock out 3rd party software

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is Microsoft trying to lock out 3rd party software: From Gab Aul: If you have Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Internet Security, or the Kaspersky Total Security Suite installed on your PC there is a known driver bug that prevents these programs from working as expected in builds from the Development Branch. We are partnering with...
  2. Microsoft solitaire collection locks up on initial screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft solitaire collection locks up on initial screen: I have used Win 10 happily for a good while. A couple of hours ago, the initial screen on the MS solitaire collection locked up with no "X" available to terminate. Task manager did allow cancel. I browsed many entries in this forum, one said a re-boot fixed it for them. I...
  3. Why Microsoft locked out my new Laptop?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Why Microsoft locked out my new Laptop?: hello, please help me i have just purchased a new Dell laptop I used it for only one time then it had been locked by microsoft and ask for password*cry*cry? 59177
  4. Changed Microsoft Email Account Address, now locked out of xbox live.

Changed Microsoft Email Account Address, now locked out of xbox live.: Hi, i have a windows 10 account problem thats stopping me signing into xbox live. i changed my windows 10 sign in email address on the microsoft account page, i wanted all my accounts to use gmail. 1st, i added my gmail account. Then i made my gmail account my default...
  5. microsoft account, lost password, locked PC, etc. etc. etc.

microsoft account, lost password, locked PC, etc. etc. etc.: I have Windows 7 so had no idea how screwed up this could get. I've googled this for 3 hours and the simplest of answers will never be provided. No one seems to be able to think thoroughly on this. My 90 yr old dad has a hosed PC. It now has his login screen associated...
  6. Locked out of Windows 10 due to a non-microsoft account

Locked out of Windows 10 due to a non-microsoft account: Every time I try to log in to my computer, I am given the error 'We can't sign in to your account' and am sent to a temporary profile which obviously means I cannot access my files or create new ones. The computer recently asked me to enter new account details on my...
  7. Microsoft locks Ryzen and Kaby Lake users out of updates on Windows 7

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft locks Ryzen and Kaby Lake users out of updates on Windows 7: Microsoft is locking down system updates for those using AMD’s Ryzen and Intel’s Kaby Lake processors on older versions of Windows, including Windows 7 and 8.1. Users are now starting to encounter the following error message: “Your PC uses a processor that isn’t supported on...