Windows 10: Microsoft makes it easier to install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft makes it easier to install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft has improved the installation process for the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) in the recent Insider Preview build 20246. Starting in this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Oct 30, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft makes it easier to install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows 10

Microsoft has improved the installation process for the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) in the recent Insider Preview build 20246. Starting in this build and going forward, all it takes to install all necessary components and a supported Linux distribution is a single command.

The new feature makes the installation of WSL on Windows 10 devices a lot easier. If you check out the current installation procedure on Microsoft's Docs website, you will notice that it involves a total of seven steps that include enabling required operating system features -- Windows Subsystem for Linux and Virtual Machine -- downloading the Linux kernel update package, and installing the Linux distribution of choice.

While that is not a huge problem for system administrators, it surely delays the process of installing a Linux distribution on the Windows machine.

Starting now in Insider Builds and next year in stable versions of Windows 10, administrators may install a Linux distribution with minimal effort.

All it takes then is to open an elevated PowerShell prompt and run the command wsl --install. The command installs all necessary components and a Linux distribution.

Microsoft makes it easier to install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows 10 install-wsl-windows-10.png

If no distribution is specified, it is Ubuntu Linux that is going to get installed. The parameter -d followed by the identifier of the Linux distribution allows administrators to install a different Linux distribution on the device.

The command wsl --install -d Debian will install Debian Linux on the device instead of Ubuntu. Administrators may run the command wsl --list --online to get the available list of Linux distributions returned.

The list returns the name that administrators need to specify and a "friendly name" that provides additional details.

Microsoft makes it easier to install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows 10 wsl-linux-distributions.png

Currently, the following distributions are available:

• Ubuntu
    • Debian
    • kali-linux
    • openSUSE-42
    • SLES-12
    • Ubuntu-16.04
    • Ubuntu-18.04
    • Ubuntu-20.04

Not all Linux distributions that are available on the Microsoft Store are supported by the new command at the time of writing. It is quite possible that support will be extended in coming builds.

The installation is automatic once the command is issued on the PowerShell prompt, and the entire process should not take longer than a few minutes to complete.

Now You: Have you installed WSL on Windows 10 devices?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft makes it easier to install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows 10 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Oct 30, 2020

2. Windows Subsystem Linux

Hello,

We would like to know more about the issue you're experiencing with using
    Windows Subsystem for Linux
    . Kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you developing a program, an app, or a software for Linux?
    • Is your Window 10 PC connected to a domain?
    • Are you managing a Windows Server PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Can you tell us the Version and OS build of your Windows 10 device? You can find this information by clicking the
      Start button, type About your PC, and then press
      Enter.

We need the following information in order to determine if we need to refer your concern to the
    TechNet forums or the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) forums.

For now, we suggest reviewing these support articles to find out if there's an issue with the installation of
    Windows Subsystem for Linux:

We'll be waiting for your response.

Devlin Sco, Oct 30, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Unable to enable Windows Subsystem for Linux

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you have downloaded Linux Terminal from Microsoft Store and you are getting an error when running the PowerShell command. However, as per the article

Windows Subsystem for Linux Installation Guide for Windows 10
    you need to run the PowerShell command first and then install the required Linux distribution from the store. I suggest you to try running the PowerShell command
    first and check.

For more information on Windows Subsystem for Linux, please refer the articles

Windows Subsystem for Linux Documentation
    and

Troubleshooting Windows Subsystem for Linux

If the issue persists, I suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals and experts on this query to assist you with the appropriate details.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 30, 2020
  4. Microsoft makes it easier to install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows 10

Issues while installing Windows Subsystem for Linux 2

Hi Paul,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while installing Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 on your PC. I certainly appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue by performing certain troubleshooting steps.

I would suggest you to refer the section Set a distro to be backed by WSL 2 using the command line from the article

Installation Instructions for WSL 2
    and see if that helps.

However, since the issue is related to Windows Subsystem for Linux, I would suggest you to post your query on

TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge to assist you with the query.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft makes it easier to install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows 10

1. Microsoft makes it easier to install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft makes easier

2. Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL will not install any Linux Distro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL will not install any Linux Distro: I am using a Windows PC with the following specs:Edition: Windows 11 HomeVersion: 23H2OS build: 22631.2338Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 100.22674.1000.0 Processor: IntelR CoreTM i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHzInstalled RAM: 16.0 GBSystem type: 64-bit operating...
  3. Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL will not install any Linux Distro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL will not install any Linux Distro: I am using a Windows PC with the following specs:Edition: Windows 11 HomeVersion: 23H2OS build: 22631.2338Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 100.22674.1000.0 Processor: IntelR CoreTM i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHzInstalled RAM: 16.0 GBSystem type: 64-bit operating...
  4. relate to Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    relate to Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL: I’m having trouble with the Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL on my Windows 10 computer. Whenever I try to open WSL, it automatically closes within a second. I’ve tried disabling and re-enabling the WSL feature, but the issue persists. Can anyone provide guidance on how to...
  5. relate to Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    relate to Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL: I’m having trouble with the Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL on my Windows 10 computer. Whenever I try to open WSL, it automatically closes within a second. I’ve tried disabling and re-enabling the WSL feature, but the issue persists. Can anyone provide guidance on how to...
  6. relate to Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL

7. windows 10 subsystem linux wsl on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 subsystem linux wsl on desktop: Has anyone been able to get the sub-system Linux to run on Windows 10 desktop? I have followed different tutorials but to date none of them have actually opened Ubuntu in Windows 10. Just curious to know if it can be made to work....
  8. windows 10 subsystem linux wsl on desktop

windows 10 subsystem linux wsl on desktop: Has anyone been able to get the sub-system Linux to run on Windows 10 desktop? I have followed different tutorials but to date none of them have actually opened Ubuntu in Windows 10. Just curious to know if it can be made to work....
  9. WSL - Enabling Windows Subsystem for Linux

WSL - Enabling Windows Subsystem for Linux: 11/11/2018 I have windows 10, version 1803, OS build 17134.37 In powershell as administrator, I run the command: enable-windowsoptionalfeature -online -featurename microsoft-windows-subsystem-linux and receive error: enable-windowsoptionalfeature : the referenced...
  10. Install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Windows 10: How to: Install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Windows 10 How to Install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Windows 10 The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux command-line tools...