Windows 10: Microsoft marks latest Windows printing issue as resolved (KB5005033)

Discus and support Microsoft marks latest Windows printing issue as resolved (KB5005033) in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft acknowledged another printing related issue on Windows. After installing the August 2021 patches for Windows, e.g. KB5005033 or KB5005031,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Sep 19, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft marks latest Windows printing issue as resolved (KB5005033)

Microsoft acknowledged another printing related issue on Windows. After installing the August 2021 patches for Windows, e.g. KB5005033 or KB5005031, some users noticed that printing was causing issues on said devices.

Microsoft marks latest Windows printing issue as resolved (KB5005033) windows-print-issue-august-2021.png

According to Microsoft's description, affected printers used Point and Print in some environments. These would throw the error message "Do you trust this printer" on any print job started from the affected device. Users were prompted to enter administrative credentials every time an application attempted to print or a print client connected to the print server.

Microsoft's analysis of the issue concluded that the issue is caused by a filename conflict.

This is caused by a print driver on the print client and the print server using the same filename, but the server has a newer version of the file. When the print client connects to the print server, it finds a newer driver file and is prompted to update the drivers on the print client, but the file in the package it is offered for installation does not include the later file version.

Microsoft suggests that affected customers install the latest drivers on all printing devices to resolve the issue, and to make sure, "where possible", to use the same print driver version on print clients and print servers.

The issue affects all major versions of Windows that are supported by Microsoft.

Client: Windows 10, version 21H1; Windows 10, version 20H2; Windows 10, version 2004; Windows 10, version 1909; Windows 10, version 1809; Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019; Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2016; Windows 10, version 1607; Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB; Windows 8.1; Windows 7 SP1

Server: Windows Server 2022; Windows Server, version 20H2; Windows Server, version 2004; Windows Server, version 1909; Windows Server, version 1809; Windows Server 2019; Windows Server 2016; Windows Server 2012 R2; Windows Server 2012; Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1; Windows Server 2008 SP2

Microsoft published a support page, KB5005652, which provides additional information on the issue.

The company changed how print drivers are installed or update as a consequence. Non-administrators can't install or upgrade print drivers using drivers from remote computers or servers without elevation of privilege to administrator.

Microsoft created a new Registry key to restore the old behavior.

• Registry location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Printers\PointAndPrint
    • Dword (32-bit) Value name: RestrictDriverInstallationToAdministrators
    • Value data:
      • The default value is 1; this requires administrative privileges to install or update print drivers when using Point and Print.
      • A value of 0 allows non-administrators to install drivers when using Point and Print.

Windows users in Point and Print environments have four options to install print drivers or updates of print drivers according to Microsoft by default:

• Provide an administrator username and password when prompted for credentials when attempting to install a printer driver.
    • Include the necessary printer drivers in the OS image.
    • Use Microsoft System Center, Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager, or an equivalent tool to remotely install printer drivers.
    • Temporarily set RestrictDriverInstallationToAdministrators to 0 to install printer drivers.

Closing Words

Microsoft released several printing updates this year alone, some to address the PrintNightmare vulnerability, others to address non-security issues, such as printer bluescreen issues.

Most home devices should not be affected by the new issue, but another printing related issue exists already after installation of the September 2021 Patch Day updates.

Now You: did you run into printing issues on Windows lately?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft marks latest Windows printing issue as resolved (KB5005033) appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Sep 19, 2021
  2. Geethu B Win User

Issue with printing documents

Hi Ronald,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with printing documents.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• What is the model number of the printer?
    • Do you get any error message while printing documents?

This issue could have occurred due to corrupt or incompatible printer driver.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to refer the article which will help you to fix common printer issues. Check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-printer-problems

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to download and install latest printer driver from the manufacturer website and check if it helps.
    If Windows 10 drivers are not available, I would suggest you to install latest driver in compatibility mode.

Homepage | Epson US

To install the printer
    driver in compatibility mode, I would suggest you to follow these steps:

a. Download the latest printer
    driver from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

b. Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select “Properties”.

c. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

d. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and
    select latest Windows version from the drop down list.

e. Let the printer driver install and then check the functionality.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Sep 19, 2021
  3. Printing issues

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• How are you trying to print?

• Have you tried printing from a different application and checked?
    I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.
    Follow these steps to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Printer.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    Also, I suggest you to install the latest chipset and printer drivers from manufacturer website and check if it fixes the issue.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Sep 19, 2021
  4. Microsoft marks latest Windows printing issue as resolved (KB5005033)

Request For Issue Resolve(Microsoft PDF Print)

Hi,

Thanks for your information,

I tried these above steps which you sent to me ,but there was no update, still issue is continuing.Do you have any other solution.which you can provide me.

AzizFanaswala, Sep 19, 2021
Thema:

Microsoft marks latest Windows printing issue as resolved (KB5005033)

1. Microsoft marks latest Windows printing issue as resolved (KB5005033) - Similar Threads - Microsoft marks latest

2. How to resolve Microsoft Store issue?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How to resolve Microsoft Store issue?: Method 1: Sign in and out of your Microsoft accountOpen the Microsoft Apps StoreClick on your profile picture on top right and sign-outSign-in againMethod 2. Run Windows App TroubleshooterPress StartClick SettingsSelect Update & securityClick TroubleshootScroll down to the...
  3. How to resolve Microsoft Store issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to resolve Microsoft Store issue?: Method 1: Sign in and out of your Microsoft accountOpen the Microsoft Apps StoreClick on your profile picture on top right and sign-outSign-in againMethod 2. Run Windows App TroubleshooterPress StartClick SettingsSelect Update & securityClick TroubleshootScroll down to the...
  4. How to resolve Microsoft Store issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. KB5005033 - Printing Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5005033 - Printing Issues: Windows installed this update and I cannot un-install it. An error has occurred. Not all updates were successfully uninstalled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kb5005033-printing-issues/93c97d77-a4b6-4ef8-900c-1ae22cd9c0e3
  6. KB5005033 - Printing Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5005033 - Printing Issues: Windows installed this update and I cannot un-install it. An error has occurred. Not all updates were successfully uninstalled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kb5005033-printing-issues/93c97d77-a4b6-4ef8-900c-1ae22cd9c0e3
  7. KB5005033 - Printing Issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Update KB5005033 Install Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update KB5005033 Install Issue: I'm trying to install KB5005033 and it will hit 100% installed and then go back to 15% and get stuck there. Does anyone know how to fix this? Every other update I had installed fine, it just seems to be this specific one that is having issues....
  9. Print Spooler... has anyone resolved this issue?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Print Spooler... has anyone resolved this issue?: My father’s (80yo) was running his old computer (thinking Windows 7) until it decided to crap out. Purchased him a new pc with windows 10. The only printer issue is if he tries to print anything web based (like the online newspaper’s crossword puzzles) over WiFi (the printer...
  10. The Latest Microsoft Win 10 Update Didn't Resolve My Internet Connection Issues. The...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The Latest Microsoft Win 10 Update Didn't Resolve My Internet Connection Issues. The...: WiFi Would Always Show A Global Symbol With A Red X Mark While I Am Playing Forza Horizon 3 And I Had Lost The 20 Levels Of Experience On A 20 Lap Race Course Around The Goliath Circuit, That I Had Received The White Screen Error On The App. I Could Not Press "A" As To...