Windows 10: Microsoft may be working on a modern version of Windows (again)

Discus and support Microsoft may be working on a modern version of Windows (again) in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Remember Windows 8 RT? No? What about Windows 10X? No? It appears, filed under rumor for now, that Microsoft is working on the next modern version of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 28, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft may be working on a modern version of Windows (again)

Remember Windows 8 RT? No? What about Windows 10X? No? It appears, filed under rumor for now, that Microsoft is working on the next modern version of Windows. The report comes from Windows Central, and the company cites unnamed sources close to the project.

Microsoft is working on a project that it calls CorePC. CorePC has similar goals as Windows 10x, but Microsoft appears to have learned from past mistakes as well.

The main idea behind Windows Core OS is to snag away marketshare from Google and its Chromebooks. Microsoft's initial attempts, in the form of Windows 8 RT, failed spectacularly at the time. One of the main reasons for that was that Microsoft removed support for legacy programs. Not a smart move, considering that users were left with UWP apps, which were not available in abundance, and still are not.

Windows RT ran on ARM devices only, including Microsoft's original Surface tablet. Only a handful of Windows RT devices were released and it is considered a financial failure today.

Microsoft may be working on a modern version of Windows (again) windows-rt-660x432.jpg

Windows 10X was Microsoft's last attempt at creating a modern version of Windows, but it never was released by Microsoft. Microsoft cancelled the project in 2021 and Windows Central claims that its sources say that Microsoft stopped trying to "modernize the Windows platform to help it compete with its more modern rivals".

Microsoft is working on Windows Core OS, according to Windows Central's sources. The site claims that the CorePC project aims to create a "modular and customizable variant of Windows" that Microsoft may use for different form factors. One key difference between CorePC and previous attempts is that some of these versions will support legacy Win32 applications.

One of CorePCs main new features is state separation. It uses a read-only partitions system, similarly to those used on Android and iPadOS. These partitions are locked and inaccessible by users and third-party applications. The feature improves platform security, updating, resetting, and reinstallations because of that. The ability to reset devices quickly is a core required feature in the Education sector, which Google dominates with its Chromebooks.

Windows Central's sources claim that CorePC devices can compete with Google Chromebooks in regards to the footprint of the operating system, system performance and also supported capabilities. A test version, that comes with Edge, Office apps, support for web apps and Android apps, is said to be between 60% to 75% smaller than Windows 11 SE already. It is designed for low-end education PCs, according to the source.

Other versions of CorePC are also in development. Microsoft seems to be working on a version that replicates the functionality of Windows 11, but with the added benefit of state separation, which would make the operating system more secure and allow for faster operating system updates and resets.

There is also one version that is "silicon-optimized", according to Windows Central. It has reduced legacy overhead and focuses on AI capabilities.

Closing Words

CorePC may very well be in development right now at Microsoft, but the company refused to comment on the plans and it should be filed under rumor for now. The new approach has several advantages over previous attempts, including that it is modular and capable of producing different versions for different tasks.

Whether this will become Windows 12 in the end, or something entirely different remains to be seen.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft may be working on a modern version of Windows (again) appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 28, 2023

2. Modern host stopped working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to refer the answer provided by Mr. Andre Da Costa, from the following link and check.

Redirecting

If you have sufficient space to install Windows 10 on your computer, I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open Windows Explorer.
    • Navigate to “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download”
    • Delete everything in this folder.
    • Now Open Command Prompt with administrator.
    • Type wuauclt.exe /updatenow
    • Press Enter key.

Hope this information helps. If you have any queries, let us know. Will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Mar 28, 2023
  3. MacDonell Win User
    Microsoft Modern Mouse (Bluetooth) Scroll Wheel not working.

the scroll wheel on my Microsoft Modern Mouse (Bluetooth) stopped working. I have done all troubleshooting steps: system updates, installed Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse Center, disconnected mouse and reconnected. Nothing has worked yet. Haven't yet tried
    it on a different PC. Don't have another Microsoft PC. Have a MacBook, but not sure the mouse can work on that. Any suggestions?

MacDonell, Mar 28, 2023
  4. Louie Del Win User

Modern setup host

Hi Hermie,

Regarding your concern with the deleted Modern Setup Host file, we’d like to ask the following questions so we can isolate it at the same time:

• What particular action that you’re trying to perform at the time that it was accidentally deleted.?
    • May we know where and how it was deleted on your computer?
    • Were you able to check if the deleted file can be found in the
      Recycle bin?

As an initial step, we suggest that perform a DISM command. This will help repairing possible system file corruptions. Follow these steps:

• Type command in the search box.
    • Right-click on the result and select Run as administrator.
    • Type this command: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • Press Enter.
    • Close the Command Prompt windows and check if changes were made related to the Modern Setup Host file.

We'll wait for your update after trying the steps.

Louie Del, Mar 28, 2023
Thema:

1. Microsoft may be working on a modern version of Windows (again) - Similar Threads - Microsoft may working

2. Microsoft announces Windows 10 May 2021 Update (version 21H1)

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft announces Windows 10 May 2021 Update (version 21H1): The Windows 10 May 2021 Update has been finalized and Build 19043.928 is likely to be the release candidate. Unsurprisingly, May 2021 Update will begin rolling out to millions of users around the world in May, and it will ship with a few minor improvements, mostly for...
  3. Modern Warfare: Cant buy again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Modern Warfare: Cant buy again: I wanted to delete modern warfare so i could re-install it cuz it was glitchy and now its says i need to buy it again * Moved from Community Participation Center * OS assumed to be Windows 10...
  4. How-to disable Modern Standby in Windows 10 May 2020 update?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How-to disable Modern Standby in Windows 10 May 2020 update?: good old registry hack does not work anymore: 1 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power] CsEnabled=0 2 deleted [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\ModernSleep] PC still uses "Standby S0 Low Power Idle Network Connected" and it makes a...
  5. Microsoft Modern Mouse Bluetooth Scroll Wheel not working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Modern Mouse Bluetooth Scroll Wheel not working.: the scroll wheel on my Microsoft Modern Mouse Bluetooth stopped working. I have done all troubleshooting steps: system updates, installed Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse Center, disconnected mouse and reconnected. Nothing has worked yet. Haven't yet tried it on a different PC....
  6. Microsoft is finally working a modern Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is finally working a modern Windows 10 File Explorer: In the past few years, Microsoft focused a little bit more on updating the existing experience of traditional File Explorer. Windows 10 November 2019 Update, for example, will make significant improvements to the File Explorer’s built-in search functionality. Similarly, the...
  7. windows 10 and microsoft modern mouse

windows 10 and microsoft modern mouse: my bluetooth modern mouse stops working until I reboot, is there any solution? I have changed to the last driver, but no help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-and-microsoft-modern-mouse/c3dcf6cd-092c-4274-9491-019ff4fa7a12
  8. Microsoft Modern Keyboard

Microsoft Modern Keyboard: I have purchased this keyboard new. It works correctly when wired to laptop. Fingerprint works correctly when wired in. If its not connected by wire doesn't work. Is fully charged, doesn't show up as a Bluetooth device, have installed latest updates. Laptop is on latest...
  9. Windows 10 modern apps not working...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 modern apps not working...: So, I had a problem this morning regarding the modern apps icons, they were all blank whichever app I ran. Then I tried to fix them following this article: BEST FIX: Windows 10 Store Icon Missing - Appuals.com But, it just made things worse and now I can't even open Windows...
  10. Modern design at Microsoft

in Windows 10 News
    Modern design at Microsoft: Modern design at Microsoft Going beyond flat design by Steve Clayton Read more here and see the concepts behind the designs. Modern Design at Microsoft