Windows 10: Microsoft Modern Keyboard: what's this icon supposed to mean?

Discus and support Microsoft Modern Keyboard: what's this icon supposed to mean? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Sorry if this is the wrong forum section; there doesn't seem to be a right one for Microsoft not Surface Hardware. I have a "Microsoft Modern... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by D_Watson, Aug 14, 2019.

1. D_Watson Win User

Microsoft Modern Keyboard: what's this icon supposed to mean?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum section; there doesn't seem to be a right one for Microsoft not Surface Hardware.

I have a "Microsoft Modern Keyboard" EKZ-00001. I just spent half an hour trying to find a decoder ring from the function key symbols to their intended function and failed. I figured this would be an easy answer to Google. Wrong.

The iconography itself, or playing with them, makes it reasonably obvious what most of them are supposed to mean/do. But one has me stumped.

What is the icon on the key above the number pad * supposed to mean/what is the key supposed to do?

Microsoft Modern Keyboard: what's this icon supposed to mean? 6401b110-193a-4d07-84fe-8e0b96e797ca?upload=true.jpg

Can anybody provide a link to a reference decoder ring that decodes all these keyboard function icons to their meaning and intended function? All these icons were just great until there so many cryptic ones got invented.

Thanks in advance!

:)

D_Watson, Aug 14, 2019
  2. Sasqui Win User
    Sasqui, Aug 14, 2019
  3. BW022 Win User
    Microsoft modern keyboard not waking computer from sleep

Hello,

Recently purchased a Microsoft modern keyboard with finger print ID. Works great … with one exception... it won't wake the computer from sleep.

Online there is lots of discussion about getting a Bluetooth device to wake PCs, but no real solutions. I've ensured Bluetooth is always powered on, but there is no Power Management option under Bluetooth Devices - Modern Keyboard with Fingerprint ID.

Anyone have any steps to allow this?

My old wireless Logitech keyboard (with a USB dongle) happily wakes my PC.

BW022, Aug 14, 2019
  4. Microsoft Modern Keyboard: what's this icon supposed to mean?

Microsoft MODERN Keyboard

There is no good place to put this discussion, so since I purchased this from a Microsoft Store, that is where I will post it.

I purchased a Microsoft MODERN keyboard, part number EKZ-00001.

A very nice device, works well, feels good, does all the things it should. I purchased it specifically for the fingerprint reader, which works great.

However, I am confused. It has a SCROLL LOCK key. Not only does it have the key, it even has an LED to show when you are in SCROLL LOCK.

REALLY? A SCROLL LOCK on a MODERN KEYBOARD (emphasis on the word MODERN)? What MODERN software and/or devices on Windows 10 require a SCROLL LOCK? Thirty years ago, maybe.

The space for that key and the led could have been used for something better. Just saying.

Still, aside from my curiosity about the SCROLL LOCK, this is a very nice keyboard. When you use it in conjunction with the Surface Precision Mouse, it is quite a good team.

Doc

Dr. Strangelove, Aug 14, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft Modern Keyboard: what's this icon supposed to mean?

1. Microsoft Modern Keyboard: what's this icon supposed to mean? - Similar Threads - Microsoft Modern Keyboard

2. what does this icon mean?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what does this icon mean?: What does this icon mean? I just added a new external drive and this is on it. Is there a list of all the icons and their meanings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-this-icon-mean/1553ec18-4855-4f49-a585-f1a453589d3e
  3. what does this icon mean?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what does this icon mean?: What does this icon mean? I just added a new external drive and this is on it. Is there a list of all the icons and their meanings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-this-icon-mean/1553ec18-4855-4f49-a585-f1a453589d3e
  4. What does this folder icon mean?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What does this folder icon mean?: In a sub-subfolder of MyDocuments, one of the folders has this icon: [ATTACH] All other folders look similar to this: [ATTACH] It's unlikely to be a real problem, but each time I see the folder list, I have a nagging feeling. Is there something wrong. Does Windows want...
  5. What does this icon mean?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What does this icon mean?: what does this icon circled in red mean?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-this-icon-mean/083432bb-9e5f-4b03-9971-eeb7970560f8
  6. Microsoft Modern Keyboard Issue

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Modern Keyboard Issue: I purchased a Microsoft Modern Keyboard at Best Buy about 9 months ago. This morning the "a," "s," and "d" keys stopped working. I searched online for a resolution and did the usual fixes, including reboot of computer. Keyboard is hardwired, so not a connectivity issue....
  7. Microsoft Modern Keyboard Not Connecting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Modern Keyboard Not Connecting: So I recently got the Microsoft modern keyboard. I have Bluetooth 5.0 on my PC, but the keyboard won't connect wirelessly. I tried it on my surface book and the keyboard worked perfectly. The only difference between the two was that, on my surface book, it showed that it was...
  8. What does this icon mean

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What does this icon mean: [ATTACH] This icon is on only one of my folders and I can't understand why. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-this-icon-mean/cccb9bd9-f76c-408a-9371-1d5eb6bc823a"
  9. Microsoft Modern Keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Modern Keyboard: I have purchased this keyboard new. It works correctly when wired to laptop. Fingerprint works correctly when wired in. If its not connected by wire doesn't work. Is fully charged, doesn't show up as a Bluetooth device, have installed latest updates. Laptop is on latest...
  10. What is the BAM supposed to mean ..

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is the BAM supposed to mean ..: in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\bam\UserSettings\<SID> What is the BAM supposed to mean and what does it stand for ? 103062