Windows 10: Microsoft moves Notepad to the Microsoft Store

Discus and support Microsoft moves Notepad to the Microsoft Store in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The plain text editor Notepad has been turned into a Microsoft Store application in the latest preview builds of the next major feature update for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Aug 20, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft moves Notepad to the Microsoft Store

The plain text editor Notepad has been turned into a Microsoft Store application in the latest preview builds of the next major feature update for Windows 10, version 20H1.

Notepad is certainly not the first core Windows program that Microsoft turned into a Store application and it certainly won't be the last. Microsoft announced in 2017 that it would move Microsoft Paint to the store but that has not happened yet. Paint will be turned into an optional feature though in Windows 10 20H1.

Notepad remains installed on Windows 10 devices going forward and most users may not even notice that something has changed.

Moving Notepad to the Store offers certain advantages; most notably, the option to update the Notepad application directly. Microsoft has to include Notepad updates in Windows Updates currently. The move to the Microsoft Store changes that as updates can be pushed without relying on Windows Update.

Microsoft updated Notepad several times in Windows 10. The company added extended line endings support in 2018, and a number of new features such as text zooming or find & replace improvements later that year.

Microsoft states in the announcement that the migration allows the company to respond quicker and with more flexibility to issues and feedback.

Microsoft moves Notepad to the Microsoft Store notepad-microsoft-store-windows-10.png

Windows users may notice changes as well. If you search for the Notepad application on a device running Windows 10 version 20H1 or right-click on Notepad's entry in the Start Menu, you will notice that new options such as uninstallation or rate & review are available in that version.

Notepad looks and behaves just like the classic version of the application. If you dig deeper, you may notice that notepad.exe is still in the Windows folder. Problem is: it is not the classic version of the application but a launcher application (Notepad Launcher) that starts the app version on Windows 10 20H1.

Notepad is listed on the Microsoft Store already. Note that you do need Windows 10 version 20H1 to install the application on your devices.

Are there any downsides? The Store version is still in development and it is too early to come to a conclusion. Windows users who block Store updates or the Microsoft Store won't receive updates until they upgrade Windows to a new version.

Users who don't use Notepad can uninstall the application but it won't free up lots of hard disk space. Check out our replacing Notepad with Notepad++ guide on how to replace Notepad with a capable text editor.

Now You: What is your take on Notepad being turned into a Microsoft Store application?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks/). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft moves Notepad to the Microsoft Store appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Aug 20, 2019
  2. sam02 Win User

App store and Microsoft account

Thank you for the advice

I see what you mean about the password but i think its a backward step to compromise my Microsoft password to to use the app store

sam02, Aug 20, 2019
  3. Microsoft signals end of Paint program

Microsoft has confirmed that it will continue to offer its graphics program Paint.

In a recent update, it had listed Paint as a feature that would be either removed or no longer developed.

Paint, renowned for its simplicity, has been part of the Windows operating system since its launch in 1985.

Microsoft suggested it would not remain on Windows 10 by default but did say it would be available for free on the Windows Store.

BBC news Report here
    Microsoft Paint avoids brush with death

dorsetknob, Aug 20, 2019
  4. Microsoft moves Notepad to the Microsoft Store

microsoft app store

How to run apps that are downloaded from Microsoft app store on multiple PCs without downloading multiple times.

Subhash Boipai, Aug 20, 2019
  5. I don't really care if it's a Store App or not, I just want a simple WORKING text editor!!
    I cannot get Notepad or Notepad Launcher to open a text file or anything else!
    I keep getting "The parameter is incorrect." error message!! Very frustrating!! How can something so simple be so difficult??
    Any suggestions please??

thewizardoz, Aug 26, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft moves Notepad to the Microsoft Store

1. Microsoft moves Notepad to the Microsoft Store - Similar Threads - Microsoft moves Notepad

2. Defect in Microsoft Notepad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defect in Microsoft Notepad: Hi,I found a defect in Microsoft NotepadVersion 21H1How to reproduce:1. Open notepad2. Start typing an alphabetjust keep the key for the alphabet pressed for e.g say key for the number '7'3. It gets displayed on the first line and then starts from second line and third and so...
  3. I cannot install Microsoft Store version of Notepad

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I cannot install Microsoft Store version of Notepad: I don't understand what this is... Yes I have a Windows 11 theme because of the TPM requirement. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-install-microsoft-store-version-of/6914bf8b-1e81-4225-9efa-0995ce8f45ca
  4. Installing Notepads app without using Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Notepads app without using Microsoft Store: Hi there, I would like to install Notepads app which seem to be downloadable from Microsoft Store. But the problem is, for some specific reason, my Windows 10 has the store disabled. Now, I would like to use the Notepads app here :...
  5. Microsoft Notepad

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Notepad: Trying to open a Notepad document provides error message the action failed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-notepad/cb0371ce-3768-42e3-a31d-1d373bfc21a7
  6. Microsoft Store Notepad doesn't show properly on Start

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Store Notepad doesn't show properly on Start: I tried to pin the Microsoft Store Notepad to my Start menu, but it has a tag with the "Windows Accessories" folder name, and the infotip that shows when I hover the tile shows correctly the "Notepad" name. If I reset the app from Settings, the tag gets fixed, but the...
  7. Microsoft Store Live Wallpaper not moving

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Store Live Wallpaper not moving: I purchased the 3D Moon live wallpaper from the microsoft store and enabled it, however it's just a stationary background on my wallpaper that occasionally changes to a different stationary view. I have the latest version of windows 10 on a brand new laptop....
  8. Windows 10 Notepad app is not coming to Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Notepad app is not coming to Microsoft Store: In early 2018, Microsoft said Windows 10 20H1 update replaces the built-in Notepad app with a Microsoft Store version that would allow the company to update Notepad at a faster pace. It looks like Microsoft has changed its mind and it won’t bring Notepad to the Windows Store...
  9. Microsoft will now update Notepad via Microsoft Store in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft will now update Notepad via Microsoft Store in Windows 10: Notepad has been a well-loved text editor in Windows for over 30 years. Over the last few releases, we’ve been making a number of small improvements to Notepad based on your feedback (including expanded line ending support, wrap around search, and indicating when there’s...
  10. Move Microsoft Store App

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Microsoft Store App: I have a MS store app (Forza Horizon 4) installed on a data drive (not C drive). I now have a larger SSD drive for games. When I click "Move" for the app and select the new drive it pops up a very disturbing and unhelpful message Delete other apps? This drive has apps from...