Windows 10: Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP

Discus and support Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; With 10 pushing the cloud and the automatic updates I may switch to Linux if 8.1 is killed early. With capped satellite internet I need to be able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Aug 21, 2015.

1. groze Win User

Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP

@popeye

There is a few distros that use the cloud from my testing (Win10 is not the only operating system I tested). There are also some that are doing rolling releases (automatic updates) just like windows 10. I think that what opensuse leap 42.x is going to do. (rolling release).

In most distros you can delay the update by choosing remind me later, I don't know if you will be able to do that with the rolling releases versions, I haven't tested those. I am sure some here has tested those.

groze, Aug 21, 2015
  2. popeye Win User

Thanks groze, I'm running dual-boot with Mint 17.2 now, sure hope they never start pushing stuff to it. Learning more about it everyday and probably could make a total shift to it if MS ever forces my hand.

popeye, Aug 21, 2015
  3. Superfly Win User
    Hey popeye

Knowing you and I luv Mint .. this is how I made mine Windowsy... best of both worlds so to say.

Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP [​IMG]

Just an off topic to irritate the Linux-haters...Sorry, as you were *Smile

Superfly, Aug 21, 2015
  4. popeye Win User

That's super Superfly! Only way I could tell it is really Linux is the Software Manager and Terminal apps.

popeye, Aug 21, 2015
  5. hawkman Win User
    On my Asus 10Tp machine, It was originally a 7, but was upgraded in house by them to 8,
    and if i look it up it only refers to the 7 version.

Roy

hawkman, Aug 21, 2015
  6. zooburner Win User
    I too have downloaded and install Linux Mint, I don't like the direction Microsoft seem to be taking with Windows 10, not only do I not like Windows 10 so much, I keep getting GWX.exe errors on Windows 7 !! that's after uninstalling the update that put the W10 nag icon on my computer. I actually downloaded Mint to give me a boot disk to remove the two GWX folders after that (you cannot uninstall them in windows without messy permission changes (which for me don't work) I decided that as it solved my Windows 7 problem i would give it a try I'm really liking it.

After just a few days I have got used to it, and it has a really nice interface controls are in logical places, for instance i can turn my internet connection on and off directly from the taskbar icon without going through menu's, there are many more examples like that.

Looking at The forums for Linux Mint there seems to be a sudden upsurge in new folks (maybe that's normal after a new windows release) there are great on-line tutorials and I too am thinking of making a complete switch.

Have fun
    Zoo

zooburner, Aug 22, 2015
  7. zooburner Win User
    Hi there
    What is that theme called, or did you do it all yourself, I'm a new Linux Mint user I love it so far.

zooburner, Aug 22, 2015
  8. Gary Win User

Microsoft will never do this. HP may lose customers over this.

9. Superfly Win User
    It's a combo - I'll PM the method to you.

Superfly, Aug 22, 2015
  10. mrgeek Win User
    I already bought an HP 15.6", 500gb notebook with Windows 10 pre-installed for $280, as a gift, for someone basically using it for media, email and web browsing. I checked and it's not an upgraded from an 8.1 model either, there's no Windows.old file. Considering the OS alone is $100-120 alone, this was a terrific buy albeit light on ram at 4gb. *Wink

mrgeek, Aug 22, 2015
  11. popeye Win User
    May not get a lot of love or answers about Linux here which is kind of understandable. I would check out one of their forums. Just being honest. We kind of sidetracked the thread even bringing it up.

popeye, Aug 22, 2015
  12. Sure.

However, I would've thought that MS would like to see all previous versions of Windows "destroyed", so that the majority of users are on the current version.

Presumably the OEMs have already paid for the W8 series licenses, so they would want to install them on machines to justify purchasing them in the first place.

If MS were to replace the unused W8 licenses with new W10 licenses, both sides would be happy.

Linux Mint 17.2 MATE is quite nice.

lehnerus2000, Aug 22, 2015
  13. Trust_No1 Win User

I simply can not understand why anyone would want Windows 10 (period)? Other than Cortana (i already have Google Voice) and Edge (slow as it is), I see zero reasons to switch operating systems. It is only slightly faster (hardly undetectable), it removes functionality, the app store isn't as nice. DirectX 12 is really only nicer for gaming, but there won't be any games that use it for at least 3-5 years. So why switch?

HP is cuckoo cuckoo for evening suggesting it. They just need to build better machines that people can upgrade. Hell who wants an HP that use all proprietary parts.

I guess I am just getting to old to even bother with all the industry nonsense any more.

Trust_No1, Aug 22, 2015
  14. Mind you, I love their workstations. Those are nice.

Jody Thornton, Aug 22, 2015
  15. There won't be a Windows.old on an OEM PC. If HP upgraded it to 10, they didn't do it via the free upgrade route. They flashed a whole new Windows 10 image to the hard drive. This retains all the HP recovery options etc. They would replace the 8.1 image with a Windows 10 image.

alphanumeric, Aug 22, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP - Similar Threads - Microsoft Needs Kill

2. Need windows 10 for hp printer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need windows 10 for hp printer: windows 10 is needed for printer to run* Changed to a question https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-windows-10-for-hp-printer/dd70a063-accf-4c47-876b-9aca01861724
  3. Microsoft is killing off Internet Explorer on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is killing off Internet Explorer on Windows 10: Microsoft has already confirmed it will kill off defunct web browsers in the coming months and additional details are finally available. According to updated support documentation, Internet Explorer is set to stop working next year and the browser will be retired on June 15,...
  4. Saying continue to windows 10 When i hit restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Saying continue to windows 10 When i hit restart: Hey so my pc mouse was acting up so I'm like lemme restart my pc then when I restart it shows me this screen saying continue to windows 10 or troubleshoot and I had no problem with my pc I only restarted it since my mouse was acting up.if you could tell me what happened that...
  5. microsoft download windows 10 for my hp laptop i am running on windows 7 and 8 and i need...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    microsoft download windows 10 for my hp laptop i am running on windows 7 and 8 and i need...: I need to download windows 10 I did have it and then I uninstalled some time back as I found windows 7 & 8 was easier and I just updated now it tells me it is coming to a end and I need to install windows 10 could you pls tell me the official site safe to download for free...
  6. Windows 10 update killed hard drive - or not? Scandisk says drive OK, HP says corrupt!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update killed hard drive - or not? Scandisk says drive OK, HP says corrupt!: I have a HP Pavilion 500-319na desktop with an 1-54460s cpu at 2.9g and 8mb ram and 2tb hard disk. It was 'born' September 2014, I bought it January 2015, and it shipped with windows 10. However, recent updates to windows 10 pushed out by microsoft crash it. Not only...
  7. HP Stream 8 updated Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    HP Stream 8 updated Windows 10: I have a Stream8 which updated the windows 10 and now I can not log on as the keyboard and wifi have been disabled. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-stream-8-updated-windows-10/79b99f14-2c14-46c9-a415-a6414fb9da3c
  8. 10 Windows 8 features that didn't make it to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    10 Windows 8 features that didn't make it to Windows 10: Windows 8 was filled with bold ideas, designed to move Windows forward in one giant leap. Three years later, as Windows 10 nears its release date, many of those innovative ideas are gone. Here's a look at what's been tossed away, and why. The Start screeen The Charms menu...
  9. Windows 10 Automatic Upgrades Hit Windows 7 And Windows 8

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Automatic Upgrades Hit Windows 7 And Windows 8: Just read an article that claims that Microsoft will automatically install Windows 10 on your computer if you have Windows 7 & 8. This is bad because I personally will never use it. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke.../#3672c44175eb "Happy using Windows 7 or...
  10. Microsoft's CEO Says Cortana's Going to Kill the Browser

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's CEO Says Cortana's Going to Kill the Browser: [img] Personal assistants will search the web for everything Microsoft's putting a lot of effort into Cortana, the company's personal assistant that was originally available on Windows Phone but that is now debuting across a wider variety of platforms, so Redmond...