Windows 10: Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP

Discus and support Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Sure. However, I would've thought that MS would like to see all previous versions of Windows "destroyed", so that the majority of users are on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP

That means flashing a new product code into the BIOS of every PC they convert to a Windows 10 license. Assuming OEM product codes are embedded like they are for Windows 8.1. As far as I know, its not a simple BIOS flash either. Your normal BIOS flash that you or I do won't alter the embedded key. It's a special procedure. The key s are unique too, so you have to keep track of what key went on what PC. Time and money some OEM's won't want to invest. IMHO

alphanumeric, Aug 22, 2015
  2. mrgeek Win User

Ah, I see now. Is a Full Flash Update as good as a clean install then ? I see that one diff in Control Panel/Recovery/Reset This PC is that my orig 8.1 still has option to reset to orig factory config, but new one only has the options to reset with or without programs and data. I'm asking because I used the 'create recovery drive' tool to make a backup for this person. I assume that will reinstall the HP add ons like Cyberlink too ?

On my 8.1, after the 30 day trial and the Windows.old is auto deleted, will the recovery drive reset to orig Windows 8.1 or 10 ? If 8.1, I should just clear Drive D then ? I had this option before when I created a recovery drive for the orig computer but kept it anyway. Thanks for considering all these Q's.

mrgeek, Aug 22, 2015
  3. I don't have a PC with an OEM Windows 10 install, so I can't say for sure what happens when you do the reset. If it's done from the custom OEM image on the hard drive I would expect all the OEM installed programs and Apps to be there. I can't test this out though.

What happens after 30 days is the Windows.old gets deleted do to scheduled maintenance task. Whether you clear drive D depends on what's on it? I haven't got time right now go back and see if you posted info on that.

alphanumeric, Aug 22, 2015
  4. zooburner Win User

Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP

Many thanks Superfly i got it *Smile

Z

zooburner, Aug 22, 2015
  5. zooburner Win User
    Yes I understand, and yes I agree it is a sidetrack.. *Smile

zooburner, Aug 22, 2015
  6. There are plenty of Windows (Serious users in particular) who muck about with other OS. Sometimes it can be old Windows and DOS to run old games or programs for fun. Sometimes it is Linux or even Atari Amiga or BBC computer OS. John the site owner usually does not mind the odd mention of Linux but if you have serious questions posts you can go to the sister site :

PC Help Forum

Indianatone, Aug 23, 2015
  7. Dch48 Win User
    That's more than a bit of an exaggeration. HP is still a force in the PC marketplace.

Dch48, Aug 23, 2015
  8. Dch48 Win User

Some of your reasons are invalid. Edge is not slow. Only ads slow it down and when you are able to block those it will blaze. DX 12 games are already on the horizon and at least one is scheduled to launch in the near future. Some already existing games will add DX 12 support like World of Warcraft did with DX 11 and probably will do with 12. I do agree about Cortana, she's been silenced since day one.

I have never seen an HP that couldn't be upgraded, especially the desktop models. HP has no proprietary hardware. All their components come from other companies like Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Western Digital, Foxconn, MSI, etc., etc., etc. Their laptops are limited in upgradeability but the same is true for nearly all laptops.

Dch48, Aug 23, 2015
  9. Multi monitor support has improved. Modern Apps now remember what screen they were last opened on. Snap works better. Start Screen is easier to organize, etc, etc. I run triple monitors. That by itself makes it worth my while to run 10 over 8.1. Windows 10 is going to see new features. Windows 8.1, not so much, if at all.

alphanumeric, Aug 23, 2015
  10. LVMan777 Win User
    "...I have never seen an HP that couldn't be upgraded, especially the desktop models..."

YES!

I got an HP "refurbished" recently for just over $100 SHIPPED...with an E8400 dual core cpu @ 3 GHZ.....

with anew keyboard and mouse and Windows 7...(with Free upgrade to Windows 10)*chuckle

I can't "build them" that cheap!!!*Cool

LVMan777, Aug 23, 2015
  11. mrgeek Win User
    "If it's done from the custom OEM image on the hard drive I would expect all the OEM installed programs and Apps to be there."
    That's what I'm suspecting. The Recovery drive D is 16gb, about the same as on my orig 8.1 device.

I'm very happy with 10 so if the .old folder is deleted, I have no problem with that. Attached screenshot of what Recovery Manager does now. As you can see, I can basically use it to rollback or reinstall orig drivers and bloatware that I uninstalled. In the right column, I prev used the 'Recovery Media Creation' option to copy D to a USB. You can only use this once, so now the option is N/A.

At that time, I was then offered the 'Remove Recovery Partition' option which I declined, hence I have this repair console still on the machine. I'm thinking to just exercise this after the .old folder is deleted to free the disk space since I will never go back to 8.1. If I then try to use the 'Create Recovery Drive' tool in Control Panel, I'm assuming there's nothing there to copy. Can I put the .wim image off of my Windows 10 install DVD created from the MS media creation tool there in it's place ? Does my line of thinking seem sound ? Thanks for your help, as always.

Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP [​IMG]

mrgeek, Aug 23, 2015
  12. I would expect one of those options to put it back to the OOBE. Out Of the Box Experience, a factory reset to what it was like the first time you turned it on. The one that says "Restore the system to it's original factory state". Other options would be the normal reset, save or don't save your files. Looks like there are lots of options depending on how bad things are messed up.

13. Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP

Thinking about this? One way to do it is to release only security/bug fixes. No new features/upgrades. If you want new features you have to upgrade to Windows 10. Some won't like it of course. They may have already made that decision, who knows?

14. Trust_No1 Win User
    Valid points, I suppose Windows 10 has it's place. I would hardly call triple monitors, the "norm", and Windows 8.1 remembers the previous screen app positions. I personally, like playing with my personalize tools, and my DVDs and home movies, so Windows 10 just leaves me dry. I really much prefer the Windows 8 tablet mode over 10, with my 3rd party menu, for me it is far, far more functional then 10 ever could be.

Not saying it is bad, just don't think it is any better. After the free upgrade thing, wears off, I think Windows 10 will have a slow adoption, some reports already show a decline. In the future if I have to spend bucks, I would sooner buy 8 over 10, but that is just me. LOL but I still use Windows 7 as my main work engine *chuckle

Trust_No1, Aug 23, 2015
  15. Windows 8.1 remembers what screen desktop programs are last opened on, didn't work for Modern Apps though. Not the last time I used Windows 8.1 anyway. The Weather App and Slacker Radio always opened on my main monitor and I'd have to move them to the one I actually wanted them on. The only way around it was to show my taskbar and taskbar icons on all screens, then click the App Icon on the screen I wanted it to open on. Maybe they updated it? In Windows 10 I can click the icon on my main taskbar and it opens where I last left it.

Thema:

1. Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP - Similar Threads - Microsoft Needs Kill

2. Need windows 10 for hp printer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need windows 10 for hp printer: windows 10 is needed for printer to run* Changed to a question https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-windows-10-for-hp-printer/dd70a063-accf-4c47-876b-9aca01861724
  3. Microsoft is killing off Internet Explorer on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is killing off Internet Explorer on Windows 10: Microsoft has already confirmed it will kill off defunct web browsers in the coming months and additional details are finally available. According to updated support documentation, Internet Explorer is set to stop working next year and the browser will be retired on June 15,...
  4. Saying continue to windows 10 When i hit restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Saying continue to windows 10 When i hit restart: Hey so my pc mouse was acting up so I'm like lemme restart my pc then when I restart it shows me this screen saying continue to windows 10 or troubleshoot and I had no problem with my pc I only restarted it since my mouse was acting up.if you could tell me what happened that...
  5. microsoft download windows 10 for my hp laptop i am running on windows 7 and 8 and i need...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    microsoft download windows 10 for my hp laptop i am running on windows 7 and 8 and i need...: I need to download windows 10 I did have it and then I uninstalled some time back as I found windows 7 & 8 was easier and I just updated now it tells me it is coming to a end and I need to install windows 10 could you pls tell me the official site safe to download for free...
  6. Windows 10 update killed hard drive - or not? Scandisk says drive OK, HP says corrupt!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update killed hard drive - or not? Scandisk says drive OK, HP says corrupt!: I have a HP Pavilion 500-319na desktop with an 1-54460s cpu at 2.9g and 8mb ram and 2tb hard disk. It was 'born' September 2014, I bought it January 2015, and it shipped with windows 10. However, recent updates to windows 10 pushed out by microsoft crash it. Not only...
  7. HP Stream 8 updated Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    HP Stream 8 updated Windows 10: I have a Stream8 which updated the windows 10 and now I can not log on as the keyboard and wifi have been disabled. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-stream-8-updated-windows-10/79b99f14-2c14-46c9-a415-a6414fb9da3c
  8. 10 Windows 8 features that didn't make it to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    10 Windows 8 features that didn't make it to Windows 10: Windows 8 was filled with bold ideas, designed to move Windows forward in one giant leap. Three years later, as Windows 10 nears its release date, many of those innovative ideas are gone. Here's a look at what's been tossed away, and why. The Start screeen The Charms menu...
  9. Windows 10 Automatic Upgrades Hit Windows 7 And Windows 8

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Automatic Upgrades Hit Windows 7 And Windows 8: Just read an article that claims that Microsoft will automatically install Windows 10 on your computer if you have Windows 7 & 8. This is bad because I personally will never use it. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke.../#3672c44175eb "Happy using Windows 7 or...
  10. Microsoft's CEO Says Cortana's Going to Kill the Browser

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's CEO Says Cortana's Going to Kill the Browser: [img] Personal assistants will search the web for everything Microsoft's putting a lot of effort into Cortana, the company's personal assistant that was originally available on Windows Phone but that is now debuting across a wider variety of platforms, so Redmond...