Windows 10: Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP

Discus and support Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Any Microsoft URL that I can look at? There is this too: Windows Update Automatic Updates - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Aug 21, 2015.

1. tomseys Win User

Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP

tomseys, Nov 15, 2015

2. Thanks, tomseys! I will follow up in one of the other threads with a particular concern that I have.

FrozenCursor, Nov 15, 2015
  3. Leopard Win User
    Is HP and the other OEMs in denial ? Answer: yes ...More than a billion PCs are over three years old, and there's little reason to replace them | ZDNet As per my previous post (#59) in this thread , I think the W10 OEM cartel is doomed. Media coverage such as this questions why this cartel even exists. If OEMs are going to survive they will have to disassociate themselves from MS and offer new hardware as-is - new hardware should come with either no OS or a user choice OS pre-installed - no more OEM software EULAS. Stay out of the OS wars and sell PCs, MACs, tablets, smart phones, accessories and peripherals. OEMs also need to stop modifying driver sets and leave them open to manufacturer updates. IMO, that would increase sales and improve user satisfaction with their products and services.

Leopard, Nov 15, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

I think it would have the opposite effect. Most people buy a PC and expect it to have an OS on it so they can plug it in, do a minimal setup and start using it. They really don't care what OS as long as they can use it and it's familiar to them. This pretty much means Windows.

Hardware with no OS is a techy thing, not a consumer want. Being able to choose which OS could be nice but again, most people know only Windows so alternatives like Linux would not fare well at all.

I do like the idea of disassociating the OS from the hardware but I don't see that as being economically feasible.

Ztruker, Nov 16, 2015
  5. I have the Envy 4500 series Printer one of the beat I have ever had.
    No matter how much work you got just a click of the button and away it goes.
    I like the way it prints the last page first, also they take care of my ink and before o have even run out more is delivered to my door.
    The old empty cartridges taken away/
    Works well with windows 10 on all our computers, tablets and smartphones

hTconeM9user, Nov 16, 2015
  6. Atomic77 Win User
    The model I have been following for much of my life is that if a computer is 5 years old or older its probably time to think about upgrading or getting a new one. the most a computer has lasted me is 10 years and I usally don't change anything in it. The only exception to the rule is my Hp Envy 700-414 witch before the end of its first year that I owned it I changed from 8.1 to windows 10.

Atomic77, Nov 16, 2015
  7. Leopard Win User
    I agree with you that plug and play (and Windows) is what the majority of buyers want, but I see no reason for an OEM license (which was really my point). I expect a lot of people believe that they do not pay for the OEM license on a new PC, but they do. Whatever the OEM gets Windows for from MS, they still mark it up to reflect install, testing and support costs. It may eventually come pretty close to the cost of a full retail license. The $100/yr subscription fee in the 2nd year of W10, ( if implemented) is the elephant in the room.

Leopard, Nov 16, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

Bing edition was free (apparently) How much does Microsoft make from PC makers with Windows 8.1? | ZDNet

Haven't seen any leaks of Windows 10 OEM pricing....

9. pparks1 Win User
    Professional can defer updates too. They still get the security updates immediately, its just feature updates and such which can defer.

pparks1, Nov 16, 2015
  10. lx07 Win User
  11. pparks1 Win User
    It is not consistency for you, its consistency for them. They develop going forward for what is new. They use that same code on all of their devices, (phones, pc's, xbox, tablets). This opens up technology options they did not have before.

Updates are going to be tough for many. You can defer with professional. Either way, security updates will come when they come. It more or less works on xbox. Security has always been a complaint with Windows, XP and such were too free, now we might be getting too tight. But unless you force the issue, you will have people not doing it, and experiencing problems that were long ago fixed. And testing that stuff works is easier, when people are all on the same versions of things. Updates can be an unknown, when a bunch of other updates are missing.

pparks1, Nov 16, 2015
  12. Leopard Win User
    I would not be surprised if it was zero dollars for 1 year for those in the cartel - with T+Cs attached. The OEMs are still ticked off that the users got the free upgrade for 1 year.

Leopard, Nov 16, 2015
  13. Atomic77 Win User

The truth is in a few years everything will be windows 10 related as you won't be able to find very much windows 7 or 8.1 computers on store shelves anyways.

Atomic77, Nov 16, 2015
  14. Jody Thornton, Nov 16, 2015
  15. Leopard Win User
    On the shelves, that is for sure, however what remains installed is another thing altogether. MS is intent on pushing both W7 and W8 off installed systems and that is another thing altogether. It has not hurt MS so far - yes the blogisphere has gone nuclear but mainstream media has no idea or they have been paid to totally ignore what is going on. Twitter is manic and Facebook is dysfunctional idiocy. I am not anti W10, in fact I am using it under VM, so I have no horse in the race. As the thread is about HP recommending W8 be flushed to improve new hardware sales - I find that reprehensible.

Leopard, Nov 16, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP - Similar Threads - Microsoft Needs Kill

2. Need windows 10 for hp printer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need windows 10 for hp printer: windows 10 is needed for printer to run* Changed to a question https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-windows-10-for-hp-printer/dd70a063-accf-4c47-876b-9aca01861724
  3. Microsoft is killing off Internet Explorer on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is killing off Internet Explorer on Windows 10: Microsoft has already confirmed it will kill off defunct web browsers in the coming months and additional details are finally available. According to updated support documentation, Internet Explorer is set to stop working next year and the browser will be retired on June 15,...
  4. Saying continue to windows 10 When i hit restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Saying continue to windows 10 When i hit restart: Hey so my pc mouse was acting up so I'm like lemme restart my pc then when I restart it shows me this screen saying continue to windows 10 or troubleshoot and I had no problem with my pc I only restarted it since my mouse was acting up.if you could tell me what happened that...
  5. microsoft download windows 10 for my hp laptop i am running on windows 7 and 8 and i need...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    microsoft download windows 10 for my hp laptop i am running on windows 7 and 8 and i need...: I need to download windows 10 I did have it and then I uninstalled some time back as I found windows 7 & 8 was easier and I just updated now it tells me it is coming to a end and I need to install windows 10 could you pls tell me the official site safe to download for free...
  6. Windows 10 update killed hard drive - or not? Scandisk says drive OK, HP says corrupt!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update killed hard drive - or not? Scandisk says drive OK, HP says corrupt!: I have a HP Pavilion 500-319na desktop with an 1-54460s cpu at 2.9g and 8mb ram and 2tb hard disk. It was 'born' September 2014, I bought it January 2015, and it shipped with windows 10. However, recent updates to windows 10 pushed out by microsoft crash it. Not only...
  7. HP Stream 8 updated Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    HP Stream 8 updated Windows 10: I have a Stream8 which updated the windows 10 and now I can not log on as the keyboard and wifi have been disabled. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-stream-8-updated-windows-10/79b99f14-2c14-46c9-a415-a6414fb9da3c
  8. 10 Windows 8 features that didn't make it to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    10 Windows 8 features that didn't make it to Windows 10: Windows 8 was filled with bold ideas, designed to move Windows forward in one giant leap. Three years later, as Windows 10 nears its release date, many of those innovative ideas are gone. Here's a look at what's been tossed away, and why. The Start screeen The Charms menu...
  9. Windows 10 Automatic Upgrades Hit Windows 7 And Windows 8

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Automatic Upgrades Hit Windows 7 And Windows 8: Just read an article that claims that Microsoft will automatically install Windows 10 on your computer if you have Windows 7 & 8. This is bad because I personally will never use it. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke.../#3672c44175eb "Happy using Windows 7 or...
  10. Microsoft's CEO Says Cortana's Going to Kill the Browser

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's CEO Says Cortana's Going to Kill the Browser: [img] Personal assistants will search the web for everything Microsoft's putting a lot of effort into Cortana, the company's personal assistant that was originally available on Windows Phone but that is now debuting across a wider variety of platforms, so Redmond...