Windows 10: Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP

Discus and support Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I simply can not understand why anyone would want Windows 10 (period)? Other than Cortana (i already have Google Voice) and Edge (slow as it is), I see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Aug 21, 2015.

1. waltc Win User

Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP

The attraction of Win10 is fairly easy to understand. If you own Win7/8.x, you have until 7/29/16 to upgrade to Windows 10 free of charge. There will not be a Win11 or 12, etc., so if Win7/8 users don't take advantage of the free upgrade to Win10 they will have to buy a license for Win10 when Microsoft stops supporting their current OS. That really makes no sense at all, considering you can get Win10 now, in perpetuity, and free of charge, if you upgrade from a retail version of Win7/8. Additionally, from this point forward, while Win7/8 will continue to get security updates for the remainder of their lifespans, all new features and advances will go into Windows10.

I won't buy a laptop or a pre-built desktop precisely because of components being overpriced and often custom-made & requiring specialty OEM-only drivers (regardless of OS.) For personal use I have built my own from hand-picked components since 1995...*Wink Dell cannot compete, unfortunately. OEMs are strictly for people who either cannot or will not build their own desktops, or for people who want laptops or other non-user-upgradable/serviceable machines, imo.

waltc, Nov 16, 2015
  2. Indianatone, Nov 16, 2015
  3. lx07 Win User
    It is how much OEMs pay MS for Windows 10 that hasn't been leaked yet...

4. gator2013 Win User

That may very be true but it is nonsense to believe MS can predict what the technology landscape will be like when all support for 8.1 expires in 2023. The whole Free thing is just a ploy to get rid of the earlier OS's IMO. In 5 years or 10 years or further out the entire computing paradigm may be radically changed so in 2015 to say there will not be a W-11 or W-12 or any new OS's is meaningless. If MS effectively transforms the OS into a service that service will always be available and everyone will pay a price one way or another and that includes everyone that accepts the Free Updrade now.

I will stay with 8.1 as it works perfectly and more than meets my needs.

gator2013, Nov 17, 2015
  5. Atomic77 Win User
    For crying out loud there are still people using windows XP yet. 2023 is quite a ways off who knows by then alot of us might not even be still alive. No one can predict what technology will be like or do in the future.

Atomic77, Nov 17, 2015
  6. dskiller Win User
    for now windows 8.1 should stay.

still some issues on windows 10 that dont show in windows 8.1

I think windows 10 needs couple years to mature.

what will we be saying about windows 10 in 2025 when it support ends? if it ends.

dskiller, Nov 17, 2015
  7. Sorry, but 2023 will be here in an eye blink. If I go the same distance backwards that's 2008. To me, that's yesterday. I was running XP then, and I was still running it two years ago. To me, it pays to plan well ahead, so at least you have some sort of road map.

Jody Thornton, Nov 17, 2015
  8. pparks1 Win User

It's gotten hard to beat price on OEMs. Advantage to building is getting EXACTLY the parts you want. And I am all laptops these days, so I havent built in a while now.

My son and I will likely build a gaming rig in the next year or so. He is 8, and understands technology well. And video games are his life.

pparks1, Nov 18, 2015
  9. Dean73 Win User
    You know that Satya was born in India right? No Offense *Smile

After Bill left I felt sad not only about him leaving, but also nervous about another CEO or Chief Executive screwing everything in it's path. Long story made short I updated to Win10 on my pops laptop (th1), but then things went horribly wrong. Very very wrong I faced many issues with incompatibility that I had no choice to wipe and install 7 on it again.

He said to me no way he was going to fork out 700 dollars just to go on Windows 10.

Dean73, Nov 23, 2015
  10. OEM's cant sell MAC's. Not that was a Steve Jobs thing but they haven't allowed it yet so it sounds like Cook feels the same. MS has trained most of the world on MS OS's and enterprise would have to start the drive away from MS (Won't happen).

orlbuckeye, Nov 23, 2015
  11. Leopard Win User
    You are right on that. It has always been their business model. I agree that it is unlikely to happen, but maybe it is worth a cold call to Apple to present an unsolicited proposal. They have nothing to lose. MS is a competitor as well as a 'partner'.

Leopard, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP - Similar Threads - Microsoft Needs Kill

2. Need windows 10 for hp printer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need windows 10 for hp printer: windows 10 is needed for printer to run* Changed to a question https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-windows-10-for-hp-printer/dd70a063-accf-4c47-876b-9aca01861724
  3. Microsoft is killing off Internet Explorer on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is killing off Internet Explorer on Windows 10: Microsoft has already confirmed it will kill off defunct web browsers in the coming months and additional details are finally available. According to updated support documentation, Internet Explorer is set to stop working next year and the browser will be retired on June 15,...
  4. Saying continue to windows 10 When i hit restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Saying continue to windows 10 When i hit restart: Hey so my pc mouse was acting up so I'm like lemme restart my pc then when I restart it shows me this screen saying continue to windows 10 or troubleshoot and I had no problem with my pc I only restarted it since my mouse was acting up.if you could tell me what happened that...
  5. microsoft download windows 10 for my hp laptop i am running on windows 7 and 8 and i need...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    microsoft download windows 10 for my hp laptop i am running on windows 7 and 8 and i need...: I need to download windows 10 I did have it and then I uninstalled some time back as I found windows 7 & 8 was easier and I just updated now it tells me it is coming to a end and I need to install windows 10 could you pls tell me the official site safe to download for free...
  6. Windows 10 update killed hard drive - or not? Scandisk says drive OK, HP says corrupt!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update killed hard drive - or not? Scandisk says drive OK, HP says corrupt!: I have a HP Pavilion 500-319na desktop with an 1-54460s cpu at 2.9g and 8mb ram and 2tb hard disk. It was 'born' September 2014, I bought it January 2015, and it shipped with windows 10. However, recent updates to windows 10 pushed out by microsoft crash it. Not only...
  7. HP Stream 8 updated Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    HP Stream 8 updated Windows 10: I have a Stream8 which updated the windows 10 and now I can not log on as the keyboard and wifi have been disabled. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-stream-8-updated-windows-10/79b99f14-2c14-46c9-a415-a6414fb9da3c
  8. 10 Windows 8 features that didn't make it to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    10 Windows 8 features that didn't make it to Windows 10: Windows 8 was filled with bold ideas, designed to move Windows forward in one giant leap. Three years later, as Windows 10 nears its release date, many of those innovative ideas are gone. Here's a look at what's been tossed away, and why. The Start screeen The Charms menu...
  9. Windows 10 Automatic Upgrades Hit Windows 7 And Windows 8

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Automatic Upgrades Hit Windows 7 And Windows 8: Just read an article that claims that Microsoft will automatically install Windows 10 on your computer if you have Windows 7 & 8. This is bad because I personally will never use it. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke.../#3672c44175eb "Happy using Windows 7 or...
  10. Microsoft's CEO Says Cortana's Going to Kill the Browser

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's CEO Says Cortana's Going to Kill the Browser: [img] Personal assistants will search the web for everything Microsoft's putting a lot of effort into Cortana, the company's personal assistant that was originally available on Windows Phone but that is now debuting across a wider variety of platforms, so Redmond...