Windows 10: Microsoft .NET Core updates will be offered via Microsoft Update

Discus and support Microsoft .NET Core updates will be offered via Microsoft Update in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft announced this week that .NET Core updates will be offered via Microsoft Updates on Windows as of December 2020. The terminology may be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Dec 6, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft .NET Core updates will be offered via Microsoft Update

Microsoft announced this week that .NET Core updates will be offered via Microsoft Updates on Windows as of December 2020.

The terminology may be confusing, especially to home users who may only know about Windows Updates. The main difference between Windows Updates and Microsoft Updates is that the latter includes updates for other Microsoft products.

You may know that you can enable an option in Windows Update on your Windows system to get updates for other products via the operating system's automatic updating function.

Microsoft .NET Core updates will be offered via Microsoft Update microsoft-updates-explained.png

On Windows 10, you open the Settings app, go to Update & Security > Advanced Options, and check the "Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows" option on the page that opens. If you want to stop receiving those updates, toggle the option to off instead.

Microsoft points out that the change gives organizations more control over the updating process, as .NET Core updates may be installed via Microsoft Update / Windows Update once it lands. It is completely optional.

Up until now, .NET Core updates were not made available via Microsoft Update because of customer concerns that updates could break functionality. The concern was based on .NET Framework updates, e.g. from 4.5 to 4.8 though as these updates are installed in-place and not side-by-side.

Updates for .NET Core are installed side-by-side for the most part. The only exception are monthly servicing updates as these replace previous monthly servicing updates.

Here are the details on the change:

• .NET Core updates will be offered via Microsoft Update. The technology is an independent product; the .NET Framework is a component of Windows, and as such updated via Windows Update.
    • Microsoft Update will maintain one update within each SDK feature band, e.g. version 3.1.10 while previous 3.1.x versions are removed; this is done to reduce the disk footprint of .NET Core installations.
    • Microsoft Update will only offer stable .NET Core updates and not for unsupported versions, e.g. Nightly builds.

Administrators may block .NET Core updates from being offered via Microsoft Update. Admins need to approve .NET Core product entries before these become available in managed deployment environments such as WSUS. If the product entries are not approved, no updates will be offered.

Microsoft published a set of Registry keys to block certain or all .NET Core updates outright. The keys work on managed and unmanaged devices.

.NET Core Version Registry Key Name Value
    Block all .NET Core updates
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NET] “BlockMU” dword:00000001
    Block .NET 5.0 updates
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NET\5.0] “BlockMU” dword:00000001
    Block Core 3.1 updates [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NET\3.1] “BlockMU” dword:00000001
    Block Core 2.1 updates [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NET\2.1] “BlockMU” dword:00000001

You can use the following Registry files to apply the changes to the system you run them on. Just download the following archive and extract it on your system: block-net-core-updates

You find four Registry files in the archive that block 1) all .NET Core updates, b) .NET Core 5.0 updates, c) .NET Core 3.1 updates, and d) .NET Core 2.1 updates on the device.

Check out Microsoft's detailed post on the change for additional details.

Windows home users who don't want .NET Core updates delivered via Microsoft Update need to either apply the Registry values or disable Microsoft Update on the system. Most home users may want these updates to be installed automatically though to stay up to date.

Now You: do you install updates for other Microsoft products automatically?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft .NET Core updates will be offered via Microsoft Update appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Dec 6, 2020

2. Microsoft Download Center Updates

Quite a few new downloads popped up today on the Microsoft Download Center. Here's a list:
    * Windows Media Center Software Development Kit
    * Windows CE 5.0 Networked Media Device Feature Pack Monthly Update (July 2007)
    * Microsoft Forefront Server Security for SharePoint 10.x Management Pack for Operations Manager 2007
    * Microsoft Server Network Load Balancing Management Pack for Operations Manager 2007
    * Microsoft Identity Integration Server 2003 Management Pack for Operations Manager 2007
    * Microsoft Office Project Server 2007 Management Pack for Operations Manager 2007
    * Windows Embedded CE 6.0 Monthly Update (July 2007)
    * Microsoft Forefront Server Security for Exchange 10.0 Management Pack for Operations Manager 2007
    * Windows CE .NET 4.2 Platform Builder Monthly Update (July 2007)

MS Download Center

HellasVagabond, Dec 6, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    .NET Core October 2018 Update - NET Core 1.0 and 1.1

Source: .NET Core October 2018 Update - NET Core 1.0 and 1.1 | .NET Blog

Brink, Dec 6, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

.NET Core October 2018 Update - NET Core 1.0 and 1.1

Source: .NET Core October 2018 Update - NET Core 1.0 and 1.1 | .NET Blog

Brink, Dec 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Microsoft .NET Core updates will be offered via Microsoft Update - Similar Threads - Microsoft NET Core

2. Microsoft To Do not updating via Microsoft Store.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft To Do not updating via Microsoft Store.: Hello, I have a problem, When I try to do update Microsoft To Do through the Microsoft Store, I always get this error:Is there a solution for this? Can someone please take the time to help me?Thanks,Kris Schneider....
  3. Microsoft To Do not updating via Microsoft Store.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft To Do not updating via Microsoft Store.: Hello, I have a problem, When I try to do update Microsoft To Do through the Microsoft Store, I always get this error:Is there a solution for this? Can someone please take the time to help me?Thanks,Kris Schneider....
  4. Strange Microsoft .NET Runtime 5.0.16 update via windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange Microsoft .NET Runtime 5.0.16 update via windows update: Dear Sir/Madam,I have a question regarding the program Microsoft .NET Runtime 5.0.16 x64. I inspect windows update from time to time and I saw two updates in my update list that I did not recognise. They were two security updates for this programme. KB5012416 and KB5013354,...
  5. Strange Microsoft .NET Runtime 5.0.16 update via windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange Microsoft .NET Runtime 5.0.16 update via windows update: Dear Sir/Madam,I have a question regarding the program Microsoft .NET Runtime 5.0.16 x64. I inspect windows update from time to time and I saw two updates in my update list that I did not recognise. They were two security updates for this programme. KB5012416 and KB5013354,...
  6. .NET Core 2.1, 3.1, and .NET 5.0 updates coming to Microsoft Update

in Windows 10 News
    .NET Core 2.1, 3.1, and .NET 5.0 updates coming to Microsoft Update: Starting in December 2020, we will be delivering .NET Core updates on Windows via Microsoft Update. We have received many requests for this, particularly from organizations that acquire and manage all of their Microsoft-related updates via Microsoft (or Windows) Update. This...
  7. windows 10 updates & microsoft .NET updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 updates & microsoft .NET updates: windows 10 updates & microsoft .NET updates Exe C:\9cb86ec66044417c90e3e5e7d7\x64-Windows10.0-KB4486129-x64.cab failed with 0x3f1...
  8. .NET Core October 2018 Update - NET Core 1.0 and 1.1

in Windows 10 News
    .NET Core October 2018 Update - NET Core 1.0 and 1.1: Today, we are releasing the .NET Core October 2018 Update for 1.0 and 1.1. This update includes .NET Core 1.0.13, 1.1.10 and .NET Core SDK 1.1.11. Security CVE-2018-8292: .NET Core Information Disclosure Vulnerability Microsoft is aware of a security feature bypass...
  9. Update on .NET Core 3.0 and .NET Framework 4.8

in Windows 10 News
    Update on .NET Core 3.0 and .NET Framework 4.8: In May, we announced .NET Core 3.0, the next major version of .NET Core that adds support for building desktop applications using WinForms, WPF, and Entity Framework 6. We also announced some exciting updates to .NET Framework which enable you to use the new modern controls...
  10. .NET Core January 2018 Update

in Windows 10 News
    .NET Core January 2018 Update: Today, we are releasing the .NET Core January 2018 Update. This includes .NET Core 1.0.9, 1.1.6 and 2.0.5. Please leave feedback on the release in the comments below or at dotnet/core #1199. Security CVE-2018-0786 – Security Feature Bypass in X509 Certificate...