Windows 10: Microsoft Notepad

Discus and support Microsoft Notepad in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Trying to open a Notepad document provides error message the action failed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by YehudaTziler, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Microsoft Notepad

Trying to open a Notepad document provides error message the action failed

:)

YehudaTziler, Oct 11, 2020

2. Notepad

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Open Task Manager. Here’s a tip: press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    • Click on Startup tab.
    • Select Notepad from the list and click on Disable.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us
    for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 11, 2020
  3. JCabebe Win User
    Notepad

I followed your suggestion but wasn't able to find Notepad listed on the startup. There are some listed as program but don't know which ones it could be.

JCabebe, Oct 11, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Microsoft Notepad

Notepad consuming cpu 40%

Your screenshot of Task Manager and the notepad.exe properties shows the same size and creation date as in @dalchina's earlier screenshot. So it looks like it is the real notepad that's running.

But - it isn't running the way it should. In your Task Manager there should be a > to the left of notepad, and clicking on it should open up a list of the Notepad instances that are running, along with the name of the document that's open (or 'Untitled - Notepad' if none).

Yours doesn't show that (compare it with dalchina's screenshot). Notepad is running - yes, but not the way it's supposed to. It appears to be in the list of background processes, not in the list of Apps where it should be. Could something be trying to run it as a service? Perhaps some malware set this up, but failed to replace the genuine notepad.exe with its counterfeit one?

As a first step I'd look at the Startup tab in Task Manager for clues.

Thema:

Microsoft Notepad

1. Microsoft Notepad - Similar Threads - Microsoft Notepad

2. Cowriter AI for Notepad coming from Microsoft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cowriter AI for Notepad coming from Microsoft: Seems there is some new AI based tools/features coming for Notepad called Cowriter.Since, at this time, I could not find a source from MS, I am giving you the Bing results page. There, read whatever articles offered to have in-depth info and details.Cowriter AI for Notepad...
  3. Cowriter AI for Notepad coming from Microsoft

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cowriter AI for Notepad coming from Microsoft: Seems there is some new AI based tools/features coming for Notepad called Cowriter.Since, at this time, I could not find a source from MS, I am giving you the Bing results page. There, read whatever articles offered to have in-depth info and details.Cowriter AI for Notepad...
  4. Microsoft is adding Cowriter AI to Notepad

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is adding Cowriter AI to Notepad: Microsoft is working on adding AI to the plain text editor Notepad on Windows. Called Cowriter, it is adding AI-based text manipulation features to the text editor. Windows enthusiast PhantomOcean3 posted a screenshot of Cowriter in Notepad on Twitter. It shows the Cowriter...
  5. Microsoft Store error 0x800706BE and apps such as Calculator, Notepad, Paint etc. not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store error 0x800706BE and apps such as Calculator, Notepad, Paint etc. not opening: I've wasted many hours googling for a Windows 11 problem which presented itself in the following form:Microsoft Store error 0x800706BE appearing when trying to update appsCouldn't open Notepad, Paint, Calculator and other basic Windows appsIn the Start Menu some Windows apps...
  6. Microsoft Store error 0x800706BE and apps such as Calculator, Notepad, Paint etc. not opening

Microsoft Store error 0x800706BE and apps such as Calculator, Notepad, Paint etc. not opening: I've wasted many hours googling for a Windows 11 problem which presented itself in the following form:Microsoft Store error 0x800706BE appearing when trying to update appsCouldn't open Notepad, Paint, Calculator and other basic Windows appsIn the Start Menu some Windows apps...
  7. I can't change the icons for the Microsoft store app, mail app, notepad app, and settings app.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't change the icons for the Microsoft store app, mail app, notepad app, and settings app.: When I right click any of the above apps on my taskbar, then right click again, I don't see the properties option, thus not letting me change the icon. I only see open, run as administrator, pin to start, and unpin from taskbar. If I unpin the app, create a shortcut of the...
  8. I can't change the icons for the Microsoft store app, mail app, notepad app, and settings app.

I can't change the icons for the Microsoft store app, mail app, notepad app, and settings app.: When I right click any of the above apps on my taskbar, then right click again, I don't see the properties option, thus not letting me change the icon. I only see open, run as administrator, pin to start, and unpin from taskbar. If I unpin the app, create a shortcut of the...
  9. How to prevent Microsoft To Do,Sticky notes and notepad from self minimizing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent Microsoft To Do,Sticky notes and notepad from self minimizing?: I am in trouble! I use Microsoft To Do & sticky notes for my task management but when I switch between tabs, They are automatically minimized but I need that they will fix in my monitor until I minimize them....
  10. How to prevent Microsoft To Do,Sticky notes and notepad from self minimizing?

How to prevent Microsoft To Do,Sticky notes and notepad from self minimizing?: I am in trouble! I use Microsoft To Do & sticky notes for my task management but when I switch between tabs, They are automatically minimized but I need that they will fix in my monitor until I minimize them....