Windows 10: Microsoft offers a new Registry trick to disable Bing in Windows Search

Discus and support Microsoft offers a new Registry trick to disable Bing in Windows Search in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 practically puts a web browser in your search panel that enthrones Microsoft Bing. In version 1909 or older, there used to be a Registry... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Oct 4, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft offers a new Registry trick to disable Bing in Windows Search

Windows 10 practically puts a web browser in your search panel that enthrones Microsoft Bing. In version 1909 or older, there used to be a Registry setting for disabling Bing in Windows Search, but Microsoft quietly disabled that in the May and October 2020 updates.

Fortunately, you don’t have to worry because Microsoft has introduced another Registry setting to toggle on/off Bing integration in Windows Search.

By disabling Bing in Windows 10, you can improve the performance and quality of your local search results. Windows Search panel will display your local results faster because it doesn’t have to look for the keyword on Bing.

With May 2020 Update, Microsoft has retired “BingSearchEnabled” value and it no longer works. If you want to disable Bing in newer versions of Windows, you need to use a new value called “DisableSearchBoxSuggestions”.

The above Registry setting will also turn off ads in Windows Search as it cuts the connection to Microsoft’s Bing services.

Disable Bing in Windows 10 Start Menu and Search

To disable Bing integration in Windows 10, follow these steps:

1. Create a backup of Registry.
    2. Open the Registry Editor by typing “regedit” in Windows Search.
    3. Press Enter.
    4. In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following location:
      Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    5. If the Explorer folder is not available, then right-click on Windows folder and create a key with the name Explorer.
      Microsoft offers a new Registry trick to disable Bing in Windows Search Registry-Explorer-folder.jpg
    6. By default, Explorer folder is empty. You need to right-click inside the right pane and create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value.
      Microsoft offers a new Registry trick to disable Bing in Windows Search DisableSearchBoxSuggestions.jpg
    7. Name the value “DisableSearchBoxSuggestions”.
    8. Set the value to ‘1’ to disable both Bing and ads in Search.
      Microsoft offers a new Registry trick to disable Bing in Windows Search Disable-Bing-in-Search.jpg
    9. Close Registry Editor and restart Windows or end the ‘Search’ process in Task Manager.

If you want the Bing search results back, open Registry Editor again and delete the Registry value “DisableSearchBoxSuggestions”. Once deleted, reboot Windows or end the Search process using Task Manager.

Should you disable Bing in Windows Search?

Disabling Bing integration improves the accuracy of local search results as the work-load decreases and you’ll also notice significant performance improvements when doing a local search.

Microsoft offers a new Registry trick to disable Bing in Windows Search Windows-Search-page.jpg

At the same time, when users turned off Bing integration last year, a Windows Update caused high CPU usage and empty search results.

The bug was later fixed, but it’s another reminder that you should be careful when tweaking Registry for core components, such as Bing.

The post Microsoft offers a new Registry trick to disable Bing in Windows Search appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Oct 4, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Microsoft Search Webcast: Get started with Microsoft Search in Bing

Source: Microsoft Search Webcast: Get started with Microsoft Search in Bing - Microsoft Tech Community - 268505

See also: Announcing Microsoft Search - Windows 10 Forums

Brink, Oct 4, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Microsoft Search Webcast: Get started with Microsoft Search in Bing

Source: Microsoft Search Webcast: Get started with Microsoft Search in Bing - Microsoft Tech Community - 268505

See also: Announcing Microsoft Search - Windows 10 Forums

Brink, Oct 4, 2020
  4. Microsoft offers a new Registry trick to disable Bing in Windows Search

Disable new search bar in Outlook 365

OK. There is a way to disable this new search box in Microsoft Office 365. For Outlook:

1. Open Outlook 365.
    2. On the lower left-hand corner click options.
    3. In the User Interface options under the General Tab, click the checkbox Collapse the Microsoft Search box by default.
    4. Click OK.

The search box will now disappear. However, disabling this option would only work on that application. If you open Microsoft Word or PowerPoint, you will need to do these same steps to disable the search box (if present) as well. Let me know if this works for you.

Guardian Angel, Oct 4, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft offers a new Registry trick to disable Bing in Windows Search

1. Microsoft offers a new Registry trick to disable Bing in Windows Search - Similar Threads - Microsoft offers Registry

2. Is there a registry trick to disable edge dragging on Windows Touchpads?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a registry trick to disable edge dragging on Windows Touchpads?: I genuinely don't know why anyone would want this on by default, it's seriously infuriating when you try to drag an object to and the mouse just keeps going because you happen to reach the edge of the touchpad. I literally cannot find an option to disable this and google...
  3. Cortana will not open apps, it now only offers Bing search results.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana will not open apps, it now only offers Bing search results.: I am on Windows 10. Cortana now either gives me Bing results or says "Sorry, I'm not able to help with that" whenever I ask it do anything. If I say "Open Word" it simply gives a list of things to do to open word. If I say "Set a timer for 3 minutes" or "remind me to phone...
  4. Disable Bing in cortana search

in Cortana
    Disable Bing in cortana search: When trying to search in the search bar, if I mistakenly click on any of the questions, it automatically brings up Edge/Bing. I've removed it from any defaults that I can find, but it's infuriating that I can't remove/disable this thing entirely. It's not a good web browser,...
  5. Anyone knows why the registry edit to disable search with Bing doesn't work anymore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone knows why the registry edit to disable search with Bing doesn't work anymore?: [ATTACH] So I have the latest Windows Update and I use the ShutUp10 software to disable all of the stuff that Windows is quite annoying with, but suddenly this is once again enabled and I checked the registry and in theory it shouldn't work anymore, yet it still does. And...
  6. Disable BING as default search engine

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable BING as default search engine: How do I disable BING from my browser? It pops up on start-up as the default search engine. It's so frustrating. I've gone into menu setting to change, tried the Cortana search settings fix, and it still defaults back to Bing. Have searched the internet over the months...
  7. disable microsoft popup game offers

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    disable microsoft popup game offers: I want to disable pop up game offers from microsoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-microsoft-popup-game-offers/c9ed951d-3093-41aa-96df-7b09664820ad"
  8. Improvements to Microsoft Search in Bing

in Windows 10 News
    Improvements to Microsoft Search in Bing: Recently, you may have noticed some changes to the way Microsoft Search in Bing looks. We’ve made some improvements so using Office 365, SharePoint Online, and Microsoft Search in Bing is more consistent and familiar. We’ve also redesigned work and web results to provide a...
  9. New Enhancements to Bing Custom Search

in Windows 10 News
    New Enhancements to Bing Custom Search: Today we are happy to announce the release of additions and enhancements to the Bing Custom Search product. These new additions will enable developers and non-developers to further harness the power of the web by allowing them to build an even more powerful and customizable...
  10. Six New and Improved Bing AI Offerings on Microsoft Cognitive Services

in Windows 10 News
    Six New and Improved Bing AI Offerings on Microsoft Cognitive Services: Today, we are announcing six new and advanced Bing Artificial Intelligence (AI) capabilities for Microsoft Cognitive Services. These new additions will enable innovative ways for users to interact with businesses and help them get rich, contextually-aware information. "The...