Windows 10: Microsoft Offers Ubuntu, Suse And Fedora Through Windows Store

Discus and support Microsoft Offers Ubuntu, Suse And Fedora Through Windows Store in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; This is real interesting news; Microsoft Brings Ubuntu, Suse, and Fedora Linux to Windows Store 84197 Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Rocky, May 11, 2017.

1. Rocky Win User

Microsoft Offers Ubuntu, Suse And Fedora Through Windows Store

Rocky, May 11, 2017
  2. snovakov Win User

Nokia Ovi Suite on Linux?

To tell the truth, there are a lot of different Linux platforms that Nokia should support with the Ovi Suite...Fedora, Ubuntu, Suse, etc.

Amazing that a Finn had the fortitude, sheer determination, and technical saavy to create Linux, but Nokia doesn't support it with the Ovi Suite??

C'mon Nokia...

snovakov, May 11, 2017
  3. ForgeAu2 Win User
    How to clone WSL app?

I know normally its probably not a good idea, there tends to be either no need or no requirement to copy a windows store app, firstly many are paid, but with WSL (Windows Services for Linux) I find myself in the position where cloning it would be useful
    to create custom distribution "containers?" I have both Ubuntu and a SUSE, I'd rather not delete or modify either of them, I'm looking to add Fedora and Arch, if nothing else ....

ForgeAu2, May 11, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Now they need to include Google services/apps in the Store.

swarfega, May 11, 2017
  5. Craig Win User
    What's confusing about the article is that it does give the impression that it will be a full blown with gui version of ubuntu and yet it also gives the impression that it might just be a tool for linux developers to work with it in windows...I wish the article had been clearer on that point...when they say everyone can install it makes you think it would be the whole thing and yet i have heard feedback that it is not...

Craig, May 11, 2017
  6. Superfly Win User
    It refers to running apps.. thus a Linux runtime..is the way I see it.

BTW: Just had a squizz at this Insights on RedHat, SUSE The Major Linux Companies

Just to see the profitability of certain Linux based companies and why they may have the need to be "getting into bed" with MS

What struck me... regarding Ubuntu

"While Canonical controls a huge user base, whether it was on the desktop or on the cloud or even soon on smartphones. It fails to make profit out of this user base. The reasons remain unknown."

and yes, I know, Mark Shuttleworth is a dev not a suit - but why can't they recruit some suitable business people? (They have countless business failures..)

...then, I 'suppose, going with MS may be the best way forward, Ubuntu can concentrate on development...a good combo, nevertheless.. just saying.

Superfly, May 11, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    I'd go with this statement from that page:
    I have full-blown installs of Linux Mint 17 on a Desktop and Linux Mint 18 on a Notebook, don't yet have a need for VMs.

Berton, May 11, 2017
  8. Superfly Win User

Yep, been running dual (Windows/Mint) since the (horrid) Win 8.0... pretty much 50/50 now...

Superfly, May 11, 2017
  9. Rocky Win User
    I am running openSuse in a VirtualBox with Linux Mint as the host OS.

Rocky, May 11, 2017
  10. I was a linux user and liked it very much but Windows is easier. Easier because most mainstream software is made for windows, and although there are equivalents for free in the Linux world, prefer the original Win versions. Servers are another story altogether. Prefer to run Linux for any server need (NAS, VPN, Games) as it as a much more solid OS for this use. That having been said, Windows Ten is way so much better now that it really gives Linux a run for its money (I know Linux is free, pun intended) in the UX department. FreeBSD is the one to watch, just you wait *Smile

Mayagrafix, May 12, 2017
  11. Craig Win User
    @ mayagrafix: Couldn't agree more...i was an active linux user from back in 2009...i'd try each new version of windows and eventually drift back to ubuntu or linux mint....After i tried Windows 10, i found myself not drifting back...It such a huge improvement and refinement over previous versions and a pleasure to use...

Also liked that there would be no further new versions of windows, and that Windows 10 would be a rolling type system which would get upgraded about 2 times a year...*Smile

Craig, May 12, 2017
  12. Windows rolling release was no surprise to me, since Linux been doing the same for a while. I support implementing the best ideas from one OS to another OS. Satya Nadella has been a bonus for MS with his clear thinking and open mindedness, as opposed to Steve Ballmer who was all about making a buck.

Mayagrafix, May 12, 2017
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

If Ms wants to do this --fine -- but will it be a Linux with a GUI or just an enhanced BASH type of shell.

These days Linux has just as good GUI's (or better ones) than Windows so I can't really see the point of this unless it centralizes Linux distros from a central area.

I'm actually using Windows less and less these days -- about the only three major applications I really can't give up on Windows are Ms OFFICE including OUTLOOK -- still streets ahead of any other substitute, email (I LIKE outlook, I don't yet like any Linux email client - even things like Thunderbird and evolution), PHOTOSHOP although I'm liking GIMP more and more, and some Video hardware capture.

Some corporate front end stuff I also need Windows for like access to SAP ERP systems from a Windows SAPGUI even though the backend databases and ERP system runs on Linux. You can also use the Windows front end with things like FIORI which uses the Internet to create applications from the SAP ERP system -- design on a Windows front end but all the real work is done on the Linux server backend.

Here's the way Fiori works now

1) On Windows logon to SAP system and enter FIORI logon screen -- the Fiori application runs on the Linux system.

Microsoft Offers Ubuntu, Suse And Fedora Through Windows Store [​IMG]

2) After Logon - simply enter your development application -- all Data base calls done on the Linux system but the user / developer is still using all the Windows front end tools etc etc s the main work is done on Windows front end work stations relieving a lot of load on the servers - so a Linux callable system from Windows could make a nice development environment without the need for VM's etc.

The application is presented to the user on Windows so no probs whatsoever in unfamiliar desktops etc. A lot of E-Commerce is done this way too.

Microsoft Offers Ubuntu, Suse And Fedora Through Windows Store [​IMG]

A winner however you look at it.

I'm also using an XP VM to run recording studio hardware (creating personalized VINYLS for people -- getting quite profitable these days).

Other than that I find running any type of server stuff (files, multi-media etc) and Internet browsing can be done easily on ANY Linux distro.

It's nice though Ms is beginning to see the light -- although using Linux as a dedicated gaming platform won't appear quickly any time soon --bit I'm not a gamer so that doesn't bother me.

And as far as rolling releases are concerned that's fine --much easier than the " Cheese sliced portions" of Windows updates that get rolled out -- and of course if you just want a stable server you keep to the Long Term Release stuff and only update if you have new hardware or if there's a big security problem --- the nature of Linux makes a hack of the sort we all read about yesterday very unlikely (although not impossible).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 12, 2017
  14. clam1952 Win User
    Hmm, all three Distro's have a history of Collaborating with Microsoft, wonder what they are getting out of this?

clam1952, May 12, 2017
  15. Rocky Win User

$$$$$$$$$$

Rocky, May 12, 2017
Thema:

1. Microsoft Offers Ubuntu, Suse And Fedora Through Windows Store - Similar Threads - Microsoft Offers Ubuntu

2. Corrupted Minecraft For Windows Offering at Windows Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted Minecraft For Windows Offering at Windows Store: Greetingsstart ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9NBLGGH2JHXJThis is supposed to be 1GB download yet it downloads about 309MB and then fails with code: 0x80073CFE and there's a message saying "Something happened on our end".I have no issues installing any other product, for...
  3. Print issue on Suse for Windows 10 clients

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Print issue on Suse for Windows 10 clients: There is a cups printer service configured on Suse Linux machine that redirects print requests from ERP system to windows client. User is able to send print jobs successfully from windows 7 clients but not from windows 10 clients. Please find details below. We have SLE11 that...
  4. FEDORA TO WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    FEDORA TO WINDOWS 10: I have a lenovo T400 laptop running on fedora o/s. I purchased the laptop with fedora already installed and there is a win vista sticker on the bottom cover. I cannot get my head around fedora and would like to be able to install win 10. For this purpose i purchased a 120gb...
  5. How to be offered Ubuntu at time of boot (GNU GRUB?)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to be offered Ubuntu at time of boot (GNU GRUB?): So hey -- I've done all the hard work but the last step has perplexed me. I've installed Ubuntu Budgie on a separate partition of my disk so that I can dual boot Win10 or Budgie. (I'm doing this because I have a mini PC from Beelink and I'm attempting to see if Budgie is a...
  6. How to be offered Ubuntu at time of boot (GNU GRUB?)

in Windows 10 Support
    How to be offered Ubuntu at time of boot (GNU GRUB?): So hey -- I've done all the hard work but the last step has perplexed me. I've installed Ubuntu Budgie on a separate partition of my disk so that I can dual boot Win10 or Budgie. (I'm doing this because I have a mini PC from Beelink and I'm attempting to see if Budgie is a...
  7. Microsoft Brings PowerShell to the Ubuntu Snap Store

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Brings PowerShell to the Ubuntu Snap Store: “Snaps are great because they provide a single package format that works across many Linux distributions, much like how PowerShell acts as a single automation platform across operating systems,” enthuses Joey Aiello, Program Manager of PowerShell at Microsoft....
  8. Fedora 28

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Fedora 28: I have Hyper-V installed and Ubuntu 18.o4 installed and hope to try out the changes for full screen. My question is does Fedora work with Hyper-V Shipinomore 110046
  9. Ubuntu available in Windows Store

in Windows 10 News
    Ubuntu available in Windows Store: That's REALLY something: "...Here's a statement that would have been unimaginable in previous years: Ubuntu has arrived in the Windows Store. As promised back in May, you can now download a flavor of the popular Linux distribution to run inside Windows 10. It won't compare...
  10. Ubuntu now in the Windows Store

in Windows 10 News
    Ubuntu now in the Windows Store: Ok, now this is where and why it gets interesting. Soon (later this month I'm told) we will be able to have n number of native Linux distros on our Windows 10 machines at one time. You can install as many as you like from the store. No VMs, just fast Linux...on Windows!...