Windows 10: Microsoft Offers Ubuntu, Suse And Fedora Through Windows Store

Discus and support Microsoft Offers Ubuntu, Suse And Fedora Through Windows Store in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; $$$$$$$$$$ Hi there Both SUSE and REDHAT are HUGE commercial organisations so tying up a bit with Ms will certainly be beneficial to both sides.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Rocky, May 11, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Microsoft Offers Ubuntu, Suse And Fedora Through Windows Store

Hi there
    Both SUSE and REDHAT are HUGE commercial organisations so tying up a bit with Ms will certainly be beneficial to both sides.

SUSE : Enterprise Linux, Openstack cloud, software-defined storage | SUSE

REDHAT : The world's open source leader

Both these support their open source distros completely -- SUSE -->OPENSUSE and REDHAT-->FEDORA and CENTOS.

My issue though with UBUNTU is unlike the other two organisations it's managed by Canonical -- a much more "Greedy" type of organisation and is going rather against the spirit of Linux in making a whole slew of proprietary stuff.

I can see lots of advantages of having both a Windows and Linux stack running on the same machine without say the need for different VM's - especially given the power of modern hardware -- even an average Laptop should be able to manage it quite successfully.

Note Fedora is the "Developer" version of RHEL (Red HAT) - it gets new updates and leading edge software so is not always the most stable. Centos is the open source "Clone" of the actual RHEL enterprise version - very stable and geared to Long term support so often runs older kernels and software -- built for 100% reliability and stability which is why it's used in 1000's of servers world wide - you can update kernels etc on it but you have to do it youself. For me I use it as a NAS server so I don't need to run "The latest and greatest" -- just boot it and let it run straight OOB 24/7 for months on end.

You can use FEDORA packages on it (Centos) too if you want to try the absolute latest software / hardware on it -- I use my server as a stable system not as a desktop OS so that's not important for me. For experimenting I'd probably try something like MINT though.

BTW CENTOS does have rolling releases also
    Index of /rolling/7/isos/x86_64

The only downside I can see for this -- is trying to imagine some overloaded I.T dept having to manage defective machines and not knowing whether it's the Windows or Linux stack (or even both) causing the problem !!! -- A lot more education and training I think will be needed !!!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 13, 2017

2. I have been using Fedora for years and the latest release Fedora 25 is amazing. Release 26 in alpha and even better. I still use my old trusty Frontpage 2003 and managed via a "wine" front end to install.

worldstream, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft Offers Ubuntu, Suse And Fedora Through Windows Store

1. Microsoft Offers Ubuntu, Suse And Fedora Through Windows Store - Similar Threads - Microsoft Offers Ubuntu

2. Corrupted Minecraft For Windows Offering at Windows Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted Minecraft For Windows Offering at Windows Store: Greetingsstart ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9NBLGGH2JHXJThis is supposed to be 1GB download yet it downloads about 309MB and then fails with code: 0x80073CFE and there's a message saying "Something happened on our end".I have no issues installing any other product, for...
  3. Print issue on Suse for Windows 10 clients

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Print issue on Suse for Windows 10 clients: There is a cups printer service configured on Suse Linux machine that redirects print requests from ERP system to windows client. User is able to send print jobs successfully from windows 7 clients but not from windows 10 clients. Please find details below. We have SLE11 that...
  4. FEDORA TO WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    FEDORA TO WINDOWS 10: I have a lenovo T400 laptop running on fedora o/s. I purchased the laptop with fedora already installed and there is a win vista sticker on the bottom cover. I cannot get my head around fedora and would like to be able to install win 10. For this purpose i purchased a 120gb...
  5. How to be offered Ubuntu at time of boot (GNU GRUB?)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to be offered Ubuntu at time of boot (GNU GRUB?): So hey -- I've done all the hard work but the last step has perplexed me. I've installed Ubuntu Budgie on a separate partition of my disk so that I can dual boot Win10 or Budgie. (I'm doing this because I have a mini PC from Beelink and I'm attempting to see if Budgie is a...
  6. How to be offered Ubuntu at time of boot (GNU GRUB?)

in Windows 10 Support
    How to be offered Ubuntu at time of boot (GNU GRUB?): So hey -- I've done all the hard work but the last step has perplexed me. I've installed Ubuntu Budgie on a separate partition of my disk so that I can dual boot Win10 or Budgie. (I'm doing this because I have a mini PC from Beelink and I'm attempting to see if Budgie is a...
  7. Microsoft Brings PowerShell to the Ubuntu Snap Store

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Brings PowerShell to the Ubuntu Snap Store: “Snaps are great because they provide a single package format that works across many Linux distributions, much like how PowerShell acts as a single automation platform across operating systems,” enthuses Joey Aiello, Program Manager of PowerShell at Microsoft....
  8. Fedora 28

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Fedora 28: I have Hyper-V installed and Ubuntu 18.o4 installed and hope to try out the changes for full screen. My question is does Fedora work with Hyper-V Shipinomore 110046
  9. Ubuntu available in Windows Store

in Windows 10 News
    Ubuntu available in Windows Store: That's REALLY something: "...Here's a statement that would have been unimaginable in previous years: Ubuntu has arrived in the Windows Store. As promised back in May, you can now download a flavor of the popular Linux distribution to run inside Windows 10. It won't compare...
  10. Ubuntu now in the Windows Store

in Windows 10 News
    Ubuntu now in the Windows Store: Ok, now this is where and why it gets interesting. Soon (later this month I'm told) we will be able to have n number of native Linux distros on our Windows 10 machines at one time. You can install as many as you like from the store. No VMs, just fast Linux...on Windows!...