Windows 10: Microsoft Office Starter 2010 not pre-installed on Windows 10 laptop

Discus and support Microsoft Office Starter 2010 not pre-installed on Windows 10 laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; First of all, sorry if this question is in the wrong place; I couldn't find what seemed like a suitable category, so please move it if necessary. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Homer Lone, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Microsoft Office Starter 2010 not pre-installed on Windows 10 laptop

First of all, sorry if this question is in the wrong place; I couldn't find what seemed like a suitable category, so please move it if necessary.

I purchased a 'scratch and dent' i.e. refurbished Windows 10 laptop 64-bit from Dell UK last October. I had assumed, on the basis of the following page, that it would come with Office Starter my Windows 7 laptop, purchased in 2014, again from Dell UK, was supplied with it:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Getting-started-with-Office-Starter-379FBA5A-6D82-4E19-AA2E-D41627F5EA5E

"Microsoft Office Starter 2010 is a simplified, ad-funded version of Microsoft Office 2010 that comes pre-loaded and ready to use on your computer."

I recently queried this with Dell a bit late, I know, who denied that the laptop should have come with Office Starter. This was during a live chat with a Tech Support guy who had been remotely fixing issues on the laptop, so perhaps this was an area in which he was unfamiliar, although in that case he should have just admitted it and referred me to a department that could tell me. Instead he kept mentioning Office 365. I'm not sure I was successful in explaining the difference between Office Starter reduced functionality Word & Excel only, ad-funded and free and Office 365 fully fledged Office suite, has to be paid for after initial 30-day trial even though I sent him the above link. Eventually, he told me that Office Starter is being replaced with Office 365, a response I could not make sense of for one thing, why is the Office Starter page still up, and with nothing about it being phased out?. I gave up at this point.

So, can someone tell me definitively whether or not my laptop should have Starter pre-installed, so I can or cannot contact Dell again to insist on them installing it? I submitted the question to Microsoft Support on Tuesday, but have not received a reply, just an acknowledgement of my query. Maybe I am not allowing long enough for them to respond, especially in the current situation, but then again Microsoft can hardly be short of resources, and I'd imagine that they would still be dealing with consumer enquiries whether from an office or working from home.

Going into my experiences of Dell customer 'support' would be somewhat off-topic, but I'll just say that I should have heard warning bells when I contacted them before purchasing the laptop to check that it would come pre-installed with Office Starter:

Agent: "I understand your requirement but our outlet laptops doesn't come with MS office, it comes with Windows 10"

[Me]: "I think you misunderstand - MS Office is a productivity suite, not an Operating System!"

I went ahead with the purchase anyway as I wrongly believed - after checking, but not checkingproperly - that I would be able to download Starter for free. However, I now know that only a version for 32-bit machines can be downloaded. Apparently it's possible to installupdates to Starter for 64-bit machines, but not the main program itself. Is it possible to trick my laptop into thinking it's 32-bit for the purposes of downloading and using Starter 32-bit, but 'knowing' that it is 64-bit for everything else? There's a question that betrays my lack of technical know-how...

I realize that I may be on a hiding to nowhere since my laptop is a refurbished product, not new. Obviously Microsoft have no control over somebody removing Office Starter as pre-installed when new before re-selling the computer. But for all I know, maybe they impose a condition on businesses selling Windows computers that they ensure Starter is supplied with them, and Dell have ignored that condition on this occasion. I'd welcome some clarity on this.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help or advice. Keep well and stay safe.

:)

Homer Lone, Mar 26, 2020

2. Microsoft office starter 2010

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Did you have Microsoft Office 2010 starter installed on your computer in the past?

Mostly OEM computers come with MS office starter pack preinstalled, if you had MS office installed on the computer in the past I would suggest you to follow the steps under the section
    Uninstall Office 2010 Click-to-Run products in the article below.

Update, repair, or uninstall Office 2010 Click-to-Run products

Repair an Office application

Do let us know the results. feel free to write us back for any further assistance with Windows, we'll be glad to assist you.

Mann_Manohar, Mar 26, 2020
  3. GTS-NJ Win User
    Office Starter 2010

Office starter 2010 was pre-installed by the Computer manufacturer and is not transferable. There is no installation media or download available.

If cost is an issue, I suggest you try Open Office or Libre Office. They are free, Microsoft compatible, and quite good.

Home | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project - Fantastic People

GTS-NJ, Mar 26, 2020
  4. SW360 Win User

Microsoft Office Starter 2010 not pre-installed on Windows 10 laptop

Office Starter 2010 and Windows 10

I would like someone from Microsoft who actually knows the answer to this question respond today. In the last hours of the free upgrade to Windows 10, I cannot find a solid response.

Does Office Starter 2010, which came pre-loaded on my Windows 7 machine, install with the Windows 10 upgrade?

Will I be able to use my Office Starter 2010 after I upgrade to Windows 10?

Do I lose the ability to open the hundreds of documents stored on my machine and saved in Office Starter 2010 Word or Excel after an upgrade to Windows 10?

If I cannot use the Office Starter 2010 product I paid for, can I get my money back or a free install of Office 365?

SW360, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft Office Starter 2010 not pre-installed on Windows 10 laptop

1. Microsoft Office Starter 2010 not pre-installed on Windows 10 laptop - Similar Threads - Microsoft Office Starter

2. Microsoft Office Starter 2010

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Office Starter 2010: My Microsoft Office Starter 2010 has stopped working mostly. I can't open my files, save for some plain text boxes I had up. When I went to repair it in Programs and Features it told me I couldn't, because I had no internet connection, but I did. I'm running Windows 7....
  3. Microsoft Office Starter 2010

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Office Starter 2010: My Microsoft Office Starter 2010 has stopped working mostly. I can't open my files, save for some plain text boxes I had up. When I went to repair it in Programs and Features it told me I couldn't, because I had no internet connection, but I did. I'm running Windows 7....
  4. Office Starter 2010

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Office Starter 2010: Can I use Office starter 2010 on new computer with windows 10 1809. I used the to go device but it would not work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-starter-2010/1e4d7423-fc88-4a2d-b840-84632eebd4f6
  5. Office Starter 2010, compatibility with Windows 10?

Office Starter 2010, compatibility with Windows 10?: Office Starter 2010 was an option available with OEM pre-installed Office 2010 supplied with a new Windows 7 PC. With a pre-loaded OEM copy of Office 2010 you had the choice, when starting Office for the first time, of purchasing Office 2010 from your OEM or installing the...
  6. Microsoft Word Starter 2010

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Word Starter 2010: I have been using the Word Starter 2010 since the day I purchased this laptop. It was on laptop at purchased. Every since I updated to Windows 10, I have been locked out of it. How do I get it back...for free....
  7. Windows 10 with microsoft office 2010 pre-installed

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 with microsoft office 2010 pre-installed: I recently purchased a new laptop that has Windows 10 along with 2010 Microsoft Office pre-installed. I have multiple users on the laptop and when a user other than me the administrator tries to use excel or Word it asks for user name and password to activate?...
  8. Office 2010 Starter Disappears With Win 10 Upgrade

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2010 Starter Disappears With Win 10 Upgrade: I've got a Dell laptop running Win 7 Home Premium. It also came with Office 2010 Starter edition, a brain damaged version of Word and Excel, but fine for what I am using the laptop for. I want to go to a Pro version so that I can turn this into a domain connected PC. My...
  9. Pre-Installed Office 2016 "Fighting With" Post-Installed Office 2010

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Pre-Installed Office 2016 "Fighting With" Post-Installed Office 2010: With my continuing efforts to assist my brother in tailoring his new ThinkPad (X1 Yoga) laptop, I've recently discovered an unexpected problem relating to Microsoft Office, and specifically (at this point), with Word. As indicated in this post's title, his laptop came with...
  10. Microsoft Office Starter 2010 incompatibility

Microsoft Office Starter 2010 incompatibility: I have Win 7 installed on my laptop and use MS Office Starter 2010 for simple word processing. It will disappear when I upgrade to Windows 10 (which is currently downloading). Would anyone using OpenOffice or LibreOffice confirm their compatibility once they have completed...