Windows 10: Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows

Discus and support Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; You don't need WMC for internet TV you need it for over the Air TV and for cable card without having to rent a box from the cable company. OH ok. In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, May 6, 2015.

1. Cliff S New Member

Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows

OH ok. In Germany an OtA USB stick is enough. They are waaaaayyyy behind on DVB-T. Only about 13 Öffentlich Rechtliche(Public Broadcasting) senders and some(very few) Private senders in Metropolitan areas.

Cliff S, May 6, 2015
  2. waltc Win User

The only reason Apple charges so little for OS X is because Apple makes its money on the Mac hardware that they tie OS X to so that OS X can't be legally or easily run on anything else...*Wink Microsoft would hasten towards bankruptcy to follow Apple's example (in so many ways!) An old joke is: "Mac OS is the dongle that ships with every Mac Apple sells." That's exactly what it is, too. Apple is pretty near exclusively a hardware company whereas Microsoft is pretty near exclusively a software company--ergo, Microsoft cannot copy Apple unless it has a death wish--any more than Apple can drop hardware and start competing with Microsoft as a software company. 2/3 of Apple's total business is in cell-phone hardware; 2/3's +++ of Microsoft's is software.

Microsoft is doing two things by providing free upgrades for 8.1/Win7 owners:

1) Making up for the debacle of 8/8.1 with its customer base

2) Moving everyone as quickly as it can to Windows 10

Apple, otoh, sells OS X versions for next to nothing because the only function of OS X for Apple is its value as a dongle to force OS X customers to buy their hardware from Apple. Windows will run on anything x86 made by anyone, including today's Macs, but OS X won't run on anything except an x86 IBM-PC compatible Intel clone sold by Apple (a "Mac".) Apple deliberately cripples OS X in that regard, and the artificial tying of OS X to Apple Mac firmware keeps OS X from having to go to head-to-head competition with Windows in the global OS markets. It is entirely understandable, therefore, why Microsoft eternally has >93% of the worldwide consumer desktop OS market and Apple is eternally stuck at around ~5% of that same market.

waltc, May 7, 2015
  3. BillyBob Win User
    Here we go again, bring back Aero or I'm gone, bring back the Menu or I'm gone, get rid of the tiles or I'm gone, bring back the stop button or I'm gone, charge $100 and I'm gone, make it free and I'm gone. Leave out WMC and I'm gone.

Sucks to be Microsoft.

BillyBob, May 7, 2015
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

If Windows 10 is the last system and that is for free for most existing users that want it during the first year, I wonder how they are going to make money - applications, new users, overpriced tablets, anything else ??

5. labeeman Win User
    At the build keynote speech the Windows store was I think in every other sentence. In Ignite the same thing. Business will not get a free ride. One drive will not will not be free.

labeeman, May 7, 2015
  6. BillyBob Win User
    What overpriced tablets, you must be thinking of the fruit company, I bought a full Windows 8.1 tablet for $165, I bought the original Surface for $220. The new Surface 3 is around $600 depending where you live, a bargain.

BillyBob, May 7, 2015
  7. Microsoft wants to get rid of the stigma of users stuck on older versions of windows, and so they are treating windows as a service much like Apples Osx. From my understanding most of their money comes from the business side of their services, license fees from vendors(Dell, Asus, etc..), Office for Windows/Mac and patents from other platforms. People buying windows don't account for much of ms profits. (someone correct me If I'm wrong *Cool).

They basically want you to use the Store, Cortana, One Note, Bing, Outlook, One Drive and other Microsoft services/products. In the end they want to have an ecosystem like Googles, and as much as Microsoft gives google a hard time for ad revenue if bing gets more users I bet they would do a lot of the same business practices. I could be wrong but I have seen adds in some of the store apps from ms.

Their was a big article about how much China pirates windows. We also know it happens a lot elsewhere. Look at how many game now have a free to play model. (Don't get me started with free to play, in almost all cases I hate it. *Mad)
    How much longer could Microsoft sell their os and count on it as reliable revenue?

Additionally they want to use this on the phone side by marketing that their is no fragmentation. Microsoft think's having a model like Apples will allow them to steal away android users. Same applies to Xbox, If you own everything else Microsoft then they all play nice.
    Microsoft reveals how it will make money giving away software | The Verge

I don't think they will sell windows as a subscription, instead they will sell office, Windows phones, store purchases, ad revenue form Bing, Azure platform, licenses, and other products services.

welcometoheaven, May 7, 2015
  8. Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows

Apple, Google, Microsoft: Where does the money come from? | ZDNet

Above link shows revenue sources for Apple, Google, and Microsoft as of about a year ago.

Apple: over half from iPhone alone; hardware total about 91%. They have enough cash in the bank to buy Intel or Citigroup outright--circa 190 billion.

Market capitalization as of 5/7/15: Apple 722 billion; Microsoft 378 billion, with only Exxon between them.

Google: advertising revenue over 90%. Market capitalization 362 billion.

Microsoft: 55% corporate and enterprise, 45% consumer/small business

The 55 is split into 47 for commercial licensing (Windows Server products, Volume Licensing editions of Windows, and Office for business) and 8 (and rapidly growing; enterprise services, notably Windows Azure and the commercial editions of Office 365).

The 45 is split into 23 for consumer licensing (OEM Windows licensing, Office for home and small business users, and Windows Phone), 14 for consumer hardware (Xbox hardware, Xbox Live subscriptions, Surface products, and PC accessories such as mice and keyboards), and 8 consumer other (Windows and Windows Phone online stores, brick-and-mortar Microsoft Stores, Xbox games and services, online advertising (mostly from Bing), and Office 365 Home Premium subscriptions).

So, licensing is 70% of all MS revenue--as of a year ago, with only 1/3 of that to small business and home users.

ignatzatsonic, May 7, 2015
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

The trouble with a "Continuous update" process is that after a while how do you INSTALL the OS plus all its updates if you say buy a new computer / build a mobo etc --or want to clean install your OS again after say upgrading HDD's or other components.

If you don't at least release a sort of "Service pack" every so often it becomes almost impossible to re-install the OS and apply all the updates.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 7, 2015
  10. linw Win User
    Good point.

11. WHS
    whs Win User
    Thanks guys for all your good thoughts. I guess the consensus is that MS is not going broke in the near future. What I am afraid though is that we get blessed with more advertising. That would not be good. I stopped watching TV in the US because I cannot stand those stupid commercials. I only hope that this stuff is not going to be propagated to the PC.

12. Hopefully there will be something like the Media Creation Tool that's there for Windows 8. Then just keep updating the image it supplies. I'm wondering what happens if you don't like one of these new features and don't apply it? Will you still get other updates etc? I'm thinking this could open up a big can or worms.

alphanumeric, May 7, 2015
  13. Winuser Win User

If MS decides to keep Windows 10 free I do see ads in the future. If given a choice between paying for Windows 10 or being free but with ads, I'll choose paying.

Winuser, May 7, 2015
  14. LEE
    Lee Win User
    *Ditto to watching TV in the US. . .big bummer. . .*Smile

15. Boozad Win User
    An up to date downloadable ISO.

Boozad, May 7, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows - Similar Threads - Microsoft Official Confirms

2. when will microsoft release windows 11 version 22h2 officially

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when will microsoft release windows 11 version 22h2 officially: when will microsoft release windows 11 version 22h2 officially https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-will-microsoft-release-windows-11-version/9e6f1fdc-ff1c-4c0f-9c9e-cb591a4864b5
  3. Microsoft makes it official: Windows 10 version 21H2 announced

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft makes it official: Windows 10 version 21H2 announced: Microsoft plans to release Windows 10 version 21H2, a feature update for the company's Windows 10 operating system, later this year. The company unveiled Windows 11 earlier this year as the next version of Windows. Customers who run Windows 10 may upgrade to the new version...
  4. Microsoft confirms new issues in Windows 10 version 21H1 and older

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms new issues in Windows 10 version 21H1 and older: Microsoft is slowly rolling out the May 2021 Update (version 21H1) to users around the world, but a couple of issues were recently discovered and Microsoft has already offered a workaround. Windows 10 version 21H1 update, otherwise known as Windows 10 May 2021 Update is a...
  5. Microsoft announces Windows 10 version 21H1 officially

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft announces Windows 10 version 21H1 officially: Microsoft announced the next feature update for its Windows 10 operating system, version 21H1, today officially on the Windows Experience blog. John Cable, Vice President, Program Management, Windows Servicing and Delivery, confirmed in the announcement that the next feature...
  6. Restore windows official version

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore windows official version: The several installation of windows inside previews from the dev channel, simply made my disk full. I want to get out of the inside preview and restore the windows to a clean state. I have read the instructions to do it, and I have realized that this will take time to it....
  7. Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10 version 1803

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10 version 1803: Microsoft confirmed on November 8, 2018 that the option to set custom file associations is broken for some users on Windows 10 version 1803. The issue, first reported on November 5, 2018 by Chris Hoffman on How To Geek, prevents users and administrators from selecting custom...
  8. Official Release Date of Windows 10 Version 1809

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Official Release Date of Windows 10 Version 1809: Hello everyone! I am using Windows 10 version 1803. I know that Windows 10 version 1809 is now released to many people. However, I checked Windows Update (and even Windows Update Assistant) to update my version but they all say that "You are up-to-date". Do you know...
  9. Microsoft Confirms That Windows 9 Will Merge All Windows Versions

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Confirms That Windows 9 Will Merge All Windows Versions: Microsoft is already working on Windows 9 and everyone knows that, especially because the company has already provided several hints that a new Windows version is coming. The company’s CEO [img] Satya Nadella confirmed once again at the quarterly earnings call that...
  10. Windows 10 “Version 1607” confirmed as Microsoft begins finalizing ...

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 “Version 1607” confirmed as Microsoft begins finalizing ...: Windows 10 “Version 1607” confirmed as Microsoft begins finalizing Anniversary - Update The Final Countdown Begins [img] Microsoft is now in the final stages of development of its upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Microsoft has been very tight lipped on...