Windows 10: Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows

Discus and support Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I hope Microsoft doesn't go with "Subscription" style activation because that's gonna be horrible and absurd. Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, May 6, 2015.

1. Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows

I hope Microsoft doesn't go with "Subscription" style activation because that's gonna be horrible and absurd.

RoasterMen, May 8, 2015
  2. Boozad Win User

How so?

Boozad, May 8, 2015
  3. Consumers already got used to activation and it might be difficult to get used with like me *Shock

RoasterMen, May 8, 2015
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows

Subscription is more expensive than purchase - despite some "experts" trying to rationalize subscription as the better deal.

I bought Office 2007 in 2007 for $129 (at Sams Club) - a 3 user license. I have now used it since and will still be using it for many years.

Office 365 is $100/year. That would have already cost me $800 since 2007 if that were the offering at that time plus an additional $100 for each additional year. Not a good deal.

5. groze Win User
    I agree with you, but I think you should of left SAM's club out not a good example. You pay a yearly fee to shop there.

groze, May 8, 2015
  6. jeffrys Win User
    hehe Wenda,

for me too.

Jeff

jeffrys, May 8, 2015
  7. Dude Win User
    I agree, I don't really like the subscription model. But you do receive more than just office. You get the latest version, you get addition onedrive space, and I believe they throw in some skype minutes too.

I may switch to 365 (I'm trying the preview 2016 now) for office and the additional perks, but I am not ready to go subscription on my OS. Now if W10 gets added to the 365 subscription plan...well that sounds like a decent plan to me *Biggrin

8. Cliff S New Member

*ThumbsMany people(including me) forget, or are not aware of, the "Extras" included with software prices. Good reminder Doug!!!

Cliff S, May 8, 2015
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    The extras may be OK for some people. I don't use OneDrive a lot and have no need for Skype. And over $600 extra for those are certainly not worth it.

10. Dude Win User
    No, in your instance it is not worth it. That is my point, it is worth it if you want the other perks included.

At that point your dollars spent change whether it is worth it. I'm not going to quote the math, but the time period cost you refer to does become worth it *Wink

Edit

Okay, that does not make a lot of sense. This is why a subscription makes sense to some people.

I own Office 2010 Pro plus and can use it until 2020, so it is paid off.

I also run a media server, and store a lot of data. In the near future I will be able to sync my files from my server to my one drive.

One drives gives 15GB for free, then cost 3.99 us for 200GB storage, and 6.99 us for 1tb, with office 365.

I want the 1tb, my media collection is already huge. So 6.99 a month for the next 5 years is 419 us dollars.

If I bought the next version of office pro plus it would cost about the same, without a new Office upgrade.. so it is worth it.

11. Gary Win User
    I own Office 2010 Pro 64 Bit, I do not care to rent an application. I have no use for Skype and if Windows 10 in any way goes on a Subscription basis , I will go back to using Linux.

12. Petey7 Win User
    One thing over looked when saying $129 vs $800 over 8 years (or what ever it was, not going to bother looking) is that you are talking the Home & Student version vs. the Professional version. The original cost for Office 2007 Professional (according to Amazon) was $500. Office 2010 was the same price. Office Professional 2013 is $400. So, if you bought the Professional version of the newest version of office each time it came out, it would have cost you $1400 before tax, rather than $800 (whether or not you pay tax depends on location, I don't). As others have mentioned, you also get extra online storage space, and 60 Skype world minutes each month.

Petey7, May 9, 2015
  13. Dude Win User

Well said Petey7
    Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows [​IMG]

14. WHS
    whs Win User
    I don't understand why anybody would want to pay those high prices for Onedrive. I just bought a 2TB USB3 disk for $69. That is my Onedrive. Plus I have about a dozen other smaller external disks of up to 1TB for backup.

15. meebers Win User
    For those who have an employee connection to MS, software bought thru my employer, Office 7, 10 and 13, have been $20. I opt for a physical disc for another $10.

meebers, May 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows - Similar Threads - Microsoft Official Confirms

2. when will microsoft release windows 11 version 22h2 officially

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when will microsoft release windows 11 version 22h2 officially: when will microsoft release windows 11 version 22h2 officially https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-will-microsoft-release-windows-11-version/9e6f1fdc-ff1c-4c0f-9c9e-cb591a4864b5
  3. Microsoft makes it official: Windows 10 version 21H2 announced

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft makes it official: Windows 10 version 21H2 announced: Microsoft plans to release Windows 10 version 21H2, a feature update for the company's Windows 10 operating system, later this year. The company unveiled Windows 11 earlier this year as the next version of Windows. Customers who run Windows 10 may upgrade to the new version...
  4. Microsoft confirms new issues in Windows 10 version 21H1 and older

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms new issues in Windows 10 version 21H1 and older: Microsoft is slowly rolling out the May 2021 Update (version 21H1) to users around the world, but a couple of issues were recently discovered and Microsoft has already offered a workaround. Windows 10 version 21H1 update, otherwise known as Windows 10 May 2021 Update is a...
  5. Microsoft announces Windows 10 version 21H1 officially

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft announces Windows 10 version 21H1 officially: Microsoft announced the next feature update for its Windows 10 operating system, version 21H1, today officially on the Windows Experience blog. John Cable, Vice President, Program Management, Windows Servicing and Delivery, confirmed in the announcement that the next feature...
  6. Restore windows official version

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore windows official version: The several installation of windows inside previews from the dev channel, simply made my disk full. I want to get out of the inside preview and restore the windows to a clean state. I have read the instructions to do it, and I have realized that this will take time to it....
  7. Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10 version 1803

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10 version 1803: Microsoft confirmed on November 8, 2018 that the option to set custom file associations is broken for some users on Windows 10 version 1803. The issue, first reported on November 5, 2018 by Chris Hoffman on How To Geek, prevents users and administrators from selecting custom...
  8. Official Release Date of Windows 10 Version 1809

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Official Release Date of Windows 10 Version 1809: Hello everyone! I am using Windows 10 version 1803. I know that Windows 10 version 1809 is now released to many people. However, I checked Windows Update (and even Windows Update Assistant) to update my version but they all say that "You are up-to-date". Do you know...
  9. Microsoft Confirms That Windows 9 Will Merge All Windows Versions

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Confirms That Windows 9 Will Merge All Windows Versions: Microsoft is already working on Windows 9 and everyone knows that, especially because the company has already provided several hints that a new Windows version is coming. The company’s CEO [img] Satya Nadella confirmed once again at the quarterly earnings call that...
  10. Windows 10 “Version 1607” confirmed as Microsoft begins finalizing ...

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 “Version 1607” confirmed as Microsoft begins finalizing ...: Windows 10 “Version 1607” confirmed as Microsoft begins finalizing Anniversary - Update The Final Countdown Begins [img] Microsoft is now in the final stages of development of its upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Microsoft has been very tight lipped on...