Windows 10: Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows

Discus and support Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I don't understand why anybody would want to pay those high prices for Onedrive. I just bought a 2TB USB3 disk for $69. That is my Onedrive. Plus I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, May 6, 2015.

1. Petey7 Win User

Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows

We're getting pretty off topic, but the convenience of OneDrive, and online storage in general, is the fact that you don't have to carry hard drives like that around with you. Instead, I have my documents, music and pictures synced between my computer and tablet, so I can do work on either and both stay updated, and my videos on my computer I can also download to my tablet at anytime. I can also pull up all of these files on my cell phone whenever I want. When it really comes in handy is cases like when I was doing a presentation at a research conference a few weeks back. I was doing an oral presentation. I plugged my flash drive into the computer only to realize, in a rush before I left home, I put the wrong file on it. I had no other storage media with me, or my own computer, tablet, or even my cell phone. But, the computer I was using had internet. All I had to do was go to onedrive.live.com, type in my email and password, and download the file. If I only stored stuff locally, I would have really looked bad. Instead, I started a minute late, and looked like a pro having an immediate backup plan. Another example of it being useful is when I was making the presentation. My teammates and I could work on the file together, in real time, using Office Online. I had to do some of the fancier stuff do it using the regular Office, but with it being synced they could look at it at anytime and see the latest changes.

What it really comes down to is if you ever have times like that, when your working in groups or need to be able to access your files on computers other than your own, it is worth using. If you never have those situations come up, then yeah, you probably don't need OneDrive. The purchasing Office Home & Student vs. getting Office 365 is, again, a matter of if you need it or not. I use Publisher from time to time, have been trying to learn Access in my spare time, and prefer Outlook to other mail clients. But, some people would never use any of those programs, and only need Word, and on occasion PowerPoint and Excel. If you fit both those situations, then yeah, why the heck would you want to pay more money for stuff you don't need? That's just throwing money away. It all depends on what your individual needs are. There is no "right" option.

Petey7, May 9, 2015
  2. Boozad Win User

I own a volume license of Office 2010 and two pro Licenses for Office 2013. I have no need for Office 365. If Windows 10 goes subscription and the price is right I'll buy it, I won't throw my teddies out of the pram and swear to go to an inferior IS over a pricing system I didn't even know about.

Boozad, May 9, 2015
  3. Boozad Win User
    All well and good, but how does owning Office 2007 have anything to do with refusing to pay for a 'rumoured' Windows 10 subscription that hasn't even been announced? What if it was $2 per month? Would you turn your nose up at it then?

Boozad, May 9, 2015
  4. groze Win User

Yep, I wouldn't be able to do it. Remember, prices go up. My limited cable service use to cost $10 USD plus taxes and fees, Now cost $23 USD plus taxes. We shouldn't have to pay to rent an operating system.

groze, May 9, 2015
  5. When talking about subscriptions to products or services you have to think about the normal user. How will most of the 1 billion+ of Microsoft's user respond to subscription based software? Look at the prevalence of googles services in schools and you see why most get away with simpler solutions. Then you look at piracy in China and other regions.
    I'm not trying to be a google spokesperson. I use whatever works and is most readily available at the right price. Office Pro was a free download from my school and I like it. I'm sure office sales well, but making everything subscription based I'm not so sure about.

Obviously this is all hearsay and well see how it plays out. As long as Microsoft goes in with the right ideas they can make the correct choices. I think they learned from xbox one what bad press does for them.

welcometoheaven, May 9, 2015
  6. Boozad Win User
    So at $2 per month ($240 over a ten year period) you'd say no. But would happily pay for a one time OS license. Makes sense.

Boozad, May 9, 2015
  7. groze Win User
    Who said I pay for the Operating system itself? I would pay for a new computer as long as I didn't have to pay a monthly or yearly fee to use the Operating system.

groze, May 9, 2015
  8. Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows

Other factors in "online vs local" are network charges and restrictions.
    Mobile devices are massively restricted here in Australia.
    A quote from an ad; "a massive 1GB of data per month".

The locally installed OS isn't at the mercy of:
    • Microsoft
    • Your ISP
    • An unknown number of carriers between MS and your ISP
    • Cyber-criminals
    • Multiple idiots with backhoes
    Those groups could accidentally, or deliberately, take out your network access. *Sad

Our network's download speed doesn't exceed 6Mb/s, which would be unacceptably slow for running a modern OS.
    I generally get between 30MB/s and 120MB/s speeds on my local HDDs.
    A lot of people these days think that is unacceptably slow and install SSDs. *Wink

lehnerus2000, May 9, 2015
  9. LEE
    Lee Win User
    He don't know you very well does he. . .I mean if it isn't a free OS (Linux) you would never ever buy one. . .

10. Dude Win User
    Well this turned interesting. I hope everyone enjoys and goes with what they want. *Cool

11. groze Win User
    I actually bought windows 7 dell computer quite by accident thank you HP. Otherwise I would be on windows 8 forum instead of the 7 forum. I really like windows 7 and you are right I also like Linux. In fact, I hate subscription services of any type. I am not a strong internet user. Yes, I went nuts for the first few months of high speed but basically done everything I could on the internet that I would enjoy. (Yes, I like these forums that why I am still here). For the first few months I used windows 7 exclusively. Now, I dual boot with windows & Xubuntu. I say I use each about 50 percent of the time. At one time I triple booted with windows 7, Windows 10 preview & Lubuntu.

groze, May 9, 2015
  12. Dude Win User
    I've used Linux, but I prefer Windows.

13. WHS
    whs Win User

Looks like you did not understand my point. The discussion is about where and where not a subscription makes sense and right now Office is one of the few examples where you can compare the nums.

14. WHS
    whs Win User
    This is just a throw away comment. $2 per month is a ridiculous number for an OS. You apparently have no clue how software pricing is done.

15. Dude Win User
    Free for the life of your device is what MS is saying about the free upgrade, times are changing *Wink

Thema:

1. Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows - Similar Threads - Microsoft Official Confirms

2. when will microsoft release windows 11 version 22h2 officially

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when will microsoft release windows 11 version 22h2 officially: when will microsoft release windows 11 version 22h2 officially https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-will-microsoft-release-windows-11-version/9e6f1fdc-ff1c-4c0f-9c9e-cb591a4864b5
  3. Microsoft makes it official: Windows 10 version 21H2 announced

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft makes it official: Windows 10 version 21H2 announced: Microsoft plans to release Windows 10 version 21H2, a feature update for the company's Windows 10 operating system, later this year. The company unveiled Windows 11 earlier this year as the next version of Windows. Customers who run Windows 10 may upgrade to the new version...
  4. Microsoft confirms new issues in Windows 10 version 21H1 and older

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms new issues in Windows 10 version 21H1 and older: Microsoft is slowly rolling out the May 2021 Update (version 21H1) to users around the world, but a couple of issues were recently discovered and Microsoft has already offered a workaround. Windows 10 version 21H1 update, otherwise known as Windows 10 May 2021 Update is a...
  5. Microsoft announces Windows 10 version 21H1 officially

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft announces Windows 10 version 21H1 officially: Microsoft announced the next feature update for its Windows 10 operating system, version 21H1, today officially on the Windows Experience blog. John Cable, Vice President, Program Management, Windows Servicing and Delivery, confirmed in the announcement that the next feature...
  6. Restore windows official version

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore windows official version: The several installation of windows inside previews from the dev channel, simply made my disk full. I want to get out of the inside preview and restore the windows to a clean state. I have read the instructions to do it, and I have realized that this will take time to it....
  7. Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10 version 1803

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10 version 1803: Microsoft confirmed on November 8, 2018 that the option to set custom file associations is broken for some users on Windows 10 version 1803. The issue, first reported on November 5, 2018 by Chris Hoffman on How To Geek, prevents users and administrators from selecting custom...
  8. Official Release Date of Windows 10 Version 1809

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Official Release Date of Windows 10 Version 1809: Hello everyone! I am using Windows 10 version 1803. I know that Windows 10 version 1809 is now released to many people. However, I checked Windows Update (and even Windows Update Assistant) to update my version but they all say that "You are up-to-date". Do you know...
  9. Microsoft Confirms That Windows 9 Will Merge All Windows Versions

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Confirms That Windows 9 Will Merge All Windows Versions: Microsoft is already working on Windows 9 and everyone knows that, especially because the company has already provided several hints that a new Windows version is coming. The company’s CEO [img] Satya Nadella confirmed once again at the quarterly earnings call that...
  10. Windows 10 “Version 1607” confirmed as Microsoft begins finalizing ...

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 “Version 1607” confirmed as Microsoft begins finalizing ...: Windows 10 “Version 1607” confirmed as Microsoft begins finalizing Anniversary - Update The Final Countdown Begins [img] Microsoft is now in the final stages of development of its upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Microsoft has been very tight lipped on...