Windows 10: Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows

Discus and support Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; It's a good thing Microsoft doesn't have to rely on this forum to make money, they'd be lucky to have one employee. Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, May 6, 2015.

1. BillyBob Win User

Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows

It's a good thing Microsoft doesn't have to rely on this forum to make money, they'd be lucky to have one employee.

BillyBob, May 9, 2015
  2. Boozad Win User

Nobody has any idea of how Windows 10 would be priced if it were to go to a subscription model. My comment was to point out that all the 'I wouldn't pay a subscription for an OS' comments were throwaway comments as its all speculation.

If I had no idea of how software is priced how did/do I pay for the software I own?

Boozad, May 9, 2015
  3. Boozad Win User
    But Office 365 is a completely different animal to 2007/2010/2013. It's not really comparable.

Boozad, May 9, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

It was fun reading this thread through and all the ideas and arguments. My 2 cents:

The subscription model could be for businesses and large organizations that need the IT support from Microsoft. If a normal home user calls or mails to fix a problem all they have to say is "reinstall, download here, and next time make a back-up image". For companies and such it's a lot more complicated(and money involved) so it will be a kind of IT insurance and would be worth the subscription.

Cliff S, May 9, 2015
  5. With One Drive, the files stored on it can be accessed from any PC with Internet access. No having to carry a physical device with you. Or worrying about loosing or forgetting your storage device with the files on it. For some that has its advantages. It's more than just online back up if that's what your thinking. It also makes it easy to share files with others over the Internet. Doesn't appeal to me either for what its worth. I don't need it.

alphanumeric, May 9, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

The one drive model isn't IMO even an answer worthy of consideration -- for starters you have to be connected to the Internet -- not always wanted or needed --especially in the case of Stand alone or dedicated devices. You are also 100% reliant on not only the server accessibility being always available when you want it -- there have been a load of high profile crashes / software I.T glitches recently to quite big names too locking people out of their accounts for a considerable period, passwords and usr data being "Hacked" and various other stuff.

I might be a bit "Racist" here but I don't want sensitive data being stored on servers in some backward 3rd world country with a political system that is dubious to say the least, operated by people on "starvation wages" etc. I'm in favour of SENSIBLE globalisation but IMO this type of stuff is a step too far - especially when the server could be shut down for reasons totally out of our control.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 9, 2015
  7. Gary Win User
    There is nothing wrong with Office 2010 and each of us has their own choices to make. I am on Social Security and I do not carry my PC around with me. I have no smart phone or Tablet. Office 365 is already a pay per month deal so you do know about that. I also can do without One rive and I will when this goes final.

8. Boozad Win User

Indeed. I'm still using Office 2010 on my main W7 install, on my backup rig and on our laptop. It's brilliant and I see no need to replace it, I'll use an Office 2013 key on my 8/10 installs when I get them on bare metal but 2010 will stay with my main 7 OS.

Of course I know about it, that's why I said it was a bad comparison to make. Office 365 has alternatives and as you rightly said 'we have our own choices to make', the same won't be applicable to Windows when support ends for 7 and 8/8.1. It's also a bit green to refuse to pay for something that isn't even a reality yet, let alone doesn't even have a pricing structure.

If Windows 10 does eventually go subscription based then I can't see MS pricing it at a level that would turn people away, it would be corporate suicide. There are other operating systems out there (although I don't find any comparable to Windows) so Windows users aren't exactly a captive market, MS aren't going to risk losing consumers to free operating systems by charging through the nose for a subscription based OS. If W10 ever goes subscription based.

Boozad, May 9, 2015
  9. It will be mine. However, I am continuing to run Vista x64 until 2017, and then I'll switch over to 8.1 then. The only delay to that switch will be if Server 2008 R1 updates (which I understand will be issued until January 2020) will be somehow "hacked" to allow installation on to Vista (ala the same way POSReady updates are being installed on to XP)

I will say even though I was not all that wowed about the initial builds of 10 TP, I prefer the first couple because their look was more "8-like".

Despite my misgivings about 10 TP though, I think this would be a right minded direction for Microsoft to move towards. There isn't much innovation left on the desktop if you ask me. We've more or less perfected it, at a time when the move to mobile OS platforms is occurring en masse. Early on, I remember mentioning that Microsoft was going towards the constantly-updated subscription model, and it appeared to me, to be no different than OS X or Google Chrome.

Jody Thornton, May 9, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    *ThumbsYup! Even Canonical is in on this game. Desktop is great Mobile is pretty good, it's about connecting the two and interaction of both. The only improvements now, to make, are the User Interfaces & User Experience.

Cliff S, May 9, 2015
  11. One other thing: perhaps if Microsoft wanted to cater to segments of the market that felt left in the cold by Windows 10, they should create similar builds resembling older versions of Windows, but with today's security/build model:

We could have Windows Aero, It would have the default look and option of Windows 7 with glass effect and Modern/Metro apps would be removed. To simplify build updates, eradicate IE and just include Edge. The Windows component store could be updated to reflect the cleanup benefits of Windows 8x/10x. Compatibility with applications would be the same as Win8x/10x.

Then we could have Windows Classic. This build would resemble the look of Windows XP, and use the classic themeing engine, without Aero. Many of MMC snap-ins could be reworked to resemble the classic NT 5x look, but maintain the same working code beneath to simplify updates between the different OS builds. Since there would be a modern video rendering engine built in, and since Microsoft would want a consistent update system between all of their OS builds, they could just eradicate IE and include Edge here as well. And it would use the Windows Component Store to perform updates and installation. Even though I hate the WinSxS bloat, you can't ask Microsoft to go back to a Windows NT 5x security and system model.

If I were Microsoft, I would forgo including all of the 8x/10x enterprise apps in these builds, and any Modern interfacing. That would serve as a value added marketing approach to nudge users to upgrade to Windows 10. Meanwhile, the large set of users who are 7 and XP fans would be happy to have systems which work the way they like.

12. Gary Win User
    I am using Office 2010 Pro 64 Bit in Windows 10 and it is working just fine. I have no desire to get anything else. I , at this point in my life have no real use for Office anyway. All I really use is Outlook and Word. I will not pay any price to use Windows 10 out of principle. MS said that it is a free upgrade and free means free. I am also using Avast internet Security so I disabled the Windows Firewall. I do not need two firewalls . Now Spartan (Edge) does not work. I have no use for it or any other App from The Store. MS's end game in this is to reduce costs by stopping support on outdated OS's. They have already laid off a bunch of people. When Seven stops being supported they will layoff even more. This all comes down to money. MS will NOT lose any money by providing Windows 10 for free. They will make money.
    As an end user I should have the right to use whatever apps that Windows provides. If I want to use a better AV then apps should not be turned off due to that. Maybe this will change when Win 10 goes final. I keep getting asked by their feedback people why I use Firefox at least 5 times a week. I will never use Edge or IE.

13. Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows

I think that after a certain period of time, say after a year or two, if one wanted to purchase a new copy of Windows 10, you would now get the latest "release" of Windows 10, which includes all updates and service packs release up to that point. So in 2020, you would not ever find the original Windows 10 from 2015 at retail.

I would think it would be no different than OS X. Would you expect to go to the Apple store nowadays and get the original OS X build from 2000? Of course not. *Smile. Can you even get Mountain Lion now?

Another example: can on even download and install the premier build of the Google Chrome Browser? I think this is where Microsoft is going?

14. See, to me, this Microsoft's answer to a Chrome Book. There are a LOT of people who went that route and are happy with these devices. There are, to my surprise, some off-line cached working options here too.

If I was able to perform audio editing while offline (using Audacity or something like that) and then could reconnect later, then that would be cool.

15. Gary Win User
    Aero and Glass actually will slow your PC down, Vista sort of proved that.

Thema:

1. Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows - Similar Threads - Microsoft Official Confirms

2. when will microsoft release windows 11 version 22h2 officially

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when will microsoft release windows 11 version 22h2 officially: when will microsoft release windows 11 version 22h2 officially https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-will-microsoft-release-windows-11-version/9e6f1fdc-ff1c-4c0f-9c9e-cb591a4864b5
  3. Microsoft makes it official: Windows 10 version 21H2 announced

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft makes it official: Windows 10 version 21H2 announced: Microsoft plans to release Windows 10 version 21H2, a feature update for the company's Windows 10 operating system, later this year. The company unveiled Windows 11 earlier this year as the next version of Windows. Customers who run Windows 10 may upgrade to the new version...
  4. Microsoft confirms new issues in Windows 10 version 21H1 and older

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms new issues in Windows 10 version 21H1 and older: Microsoft is slowly rolling out the May 2021 Update (version 21H1) to users around the world, but a couple of issues were recently discovered and Microsoft has already offered a workaround. Windows 10 version 21H1 update, otherwise known as Windows 10 May 2021 Update is a...
  5. Microsoft announces Windows 10 version 21H1 officially

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft announces Windows 10 version 21H1 officially: Microsoft announced the next feature update for its Windows 10 operating system, version 21H1, today officially on the Windows Experience blog. John Cable, Vice President, Program Management, Windows Servicing and Delivery, confirmed in the announcement that the next feature...
  6. Restore windows official version

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore windows official version: The several installation of windows inside previews from the dev channel, simply made my disk full. I want to get out of the inside preview and restore the windows to a clean state. I have read the instructions to do it, and I have realized that this will take time to it....
  7. Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10 version 1803

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10 version 1803: Microsoft confirmed on November 8, 2018 that the option to set custom file associations is broken for some users on Windows 10 version 1803. The issue, first reported on November 5, 2018 by Chris Hoffman on How To Geek, prevents users and administrators from selecting custom...
  8. Official Release Date of Windows 10 Version 1809

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Official Release Date of Windows 10 Version 1809: Hello everyone! I am using Windows 10 version 1803. I know that Windows 10 version 1809 is now released to many people. However, I checked Windows Update (and even Windows Update Assistant) to update my version but they all say that "You are up-to-date". Do you know...
  9. Microsoft Confirms That Windows 9 Will Merge All Windows Versions

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Confirms That Windows 9 Will Merge All Windows Versions: Microsoft is already working on Windows 9 and everyone knows that, especially because the company has already provided several hints that a new Windows version is coming. The company’s CEO [img] Satya Nadella confirmed once again at the quarterly earnings call that...
  10. Windows 10 “Version 1607” confirmed as Microsoft begins finalizing ...

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 “Version 1607” confirmed as Microsoft begins finalizing ...: Windows 10 “Version 1607” confirmed as Microsoft begins finalizing Anniversary - Update The Final Countdown Begins [img] Microsoft is now in the final stages of development of its upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Microsoft has been very tight lipped on...