Windows 10: Microsoft on freeing up space for Windows 10 Updates

Discus and support Microsoft on freeing up space for Windows 10 Updates in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft published a new support article "Windows 10 update issues on devices with low storage space" yesterday. Released in time for the next... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 8, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft on freeing up space for Windows 10 Updates

Microsoft published a new support article "Windows 10 update issues on devices with low storage space" yesterday.

Released in time for the next feature update for the operating system, Windows 10 version 1809 also known as the October 2018 Update, it highlights that updates may fail when disk space is low and provides suggestions on how to free up disk space.

Microsoft's resolution to avoid the issue is to run a series of operations to free up disk space on the device.

Microsoft on freeing up space for Windows 10 Updates windows-10-storage-updates.png

In particular, Microsoft suggests:

• To delete temporary files in Settings (Windows-I) > System > Storage > This PC > Temporary Files.
    • To delete downloaded files in Settings > System > Storage > This PC > Temporary Files > Downloads > View Downloads.
    • To empty the Recycle Bin in Settings > System > Storage > This PC > Temporary Files > Recycle Bin > Empty Recycle Bin (tip: you may also reduce the available storage space for the Recycle Bin)
    • To uninstall apps that are not used anymore in Settings > System > Apps & Features.
    • To move files to a USB Drive or another drive. Select the files in File Explorer, the Home > Move To > Choose location.
    • To save new files to another drive.
    • To keep only some OneDrive files on the system. To do so, right-click on the OneDrive icon and select Settings > Choose folders and uncheck folders that you don't require on the PC to free up space.

The common sense instructions read almost like an advertisement for using the Settings application more as the first part five of the eight suggestions ask you to use it. It is certainly possible to clean the Recycle Bin using Microsoft's suggested method but it is equally possible to right-click on the icon on the desktop to clean it right from there. The latter may be faster.

Some users may use the Disk Cleanup tool for some of the operations but Microsoft revealed that it is deprecated. While still available, it will be removed eventually.

Storage Sense supports the automatic deletion of temporary files on Windows 10; so that may be an option going forward.

As for moving, I suppose using the menubar is the easiest way but most users will probably either use "cut" from the right-click menu or hold down the Shift-key to move files instead of copying them to another drive.

The cause

More telling is Microsoft's explanation for issues caused by low disk space during upgrades besides the obvious elephant in the room that devices with low amounts of disk space are sold as Microsoft's minimum requirements for Windows 10 devices don't prevent manufacturers from doing so.

Microsoft Surface devices are offered with 64 Gigabytes of storage space which is not a lot either but some manufacturers produce devices with 32 Gigabytes of storage space. A large portion of the space is already occupied by Windows.

The cause according to Microsoft? Microsoft confirms that "Windows Update does not check systems for adequate space requirements before it initializes".

The company does not reveal why Windows does not check for sufficient storage space before updates are initialized. Doing so would certainly help users as Windows could "tell them" to free up a certain amount of disk space before running the installer.

While it is certainly helpful if users clean certain files, temporary files or old downloads, regularly on their devices, it should be the developer's responsibility to implement proper checks during the initialization of updates.

As Woody Leonhard puts it so eloquently: "You'd think that with all the hundreds of millions MS has spent on Windows installers, it would've fixed the ooops-it's-too-small bug a while ago. Right up there with the "SSU before LCU" ridiculousness".

See also: Windows 10 version 1809 removed or deprecated features

Now You: Did you run into Windows update issues recently?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft on freeing up space for Windows 10 Updates appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 8, 2018

2. Microsoft signals end of Paint program

Microsoft has confirmed that it will continue to offer its graphics program Paint.

In a recent update, it had listed Paint as a feature that would be either removed or no longer developed.

Paint, renowned for its simplicity, has been part of the Windows operating system since its launch in 1985.

Microsoft suggested it would not remain on Windows 10 by default but did say it would be available for free on the Windows Store.

BBC news Report here
    Microsoft Paint avoids brush with death

dorsetknob, Nov 8, 2018
  3. space in hard dist for update windows 10

Hello ManolisTsitkanos,

To better assist you with your concern, I'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • What is the make and model of your computer?
    • What is the exact error message that you're getting when performing an update?

Meanwhile, I'd suggest following the steps in this article
    to help you free up drive space on your Windows 10 device.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Nov 8, 2018
  4. desennium Win User

Microsoft Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Available Today

Microsoft released Windows 10, code named "Threshold 1," a little over two years ago. As of May of this year, there were approximately 500 million Windows 10 devices worldwide. Originally, Microsoft predicted that Windows 10 would be installed on 1 billion devices by mid-2018. When released, Windows 10 gained huge adoption from those running Windows 7 from the "free-upgrade program" which lasted one year.

Since then however, installations have slowly declined and in July of last year, Microsoft admitted that they would miss their projected goal of 1 billion devices. Since its release, Windows 10 has had three major update releases with "Threshold 2," in 2015, "Anniversary Update," in 2016, "Creators Update" in April of this year and today marks the release of Microsoft's fourth major feature update to its operating system, dubbed "Fall Creators Update," version 1709.

Today's update brings about many new features including:
    • OneDrive On demand (formerly known as OneDrive Placeholders introduced in WIndows 8.1) a way to keep track of your files stored on OneDrive from any of your devices without having to store them locally.
    • 'My People' Hub Integration makes it easier to stay in touch with people right from the taskbar
    • Story Remix gives you to the tools and the power to create content from your photos and videos to make memorable stories
    • Windows Mixed Reality brings a new generation of augmented reality where the real world meets the digital one.
    • Fluent Design System is Microsoft's new design that will take place over the next few years with each feature update. Microsoft intends to make all products and devices one user interface and it begins with the Fall Creators Update.

Furthermore, Microsoft has made changes and brings privacy enhancements with today's update. The Fall Creators Update gives users more control of what information is being collected. Users will be greeted with the Privacy Statement on the setup process to get an idea of what information that entails. Microsoft is also adding two game anti-cheating systems, called TruePlay and Game Monitor, to address the problem of cheating similarly to what VAC (Valve Anti-Cheating) does for Steam.

The Fall Creators Update is available today but will be rolled out in stages as usual. Newer devices most compatible with Windows 10 will receive the update first. The rollout will take several months before everyone is updated. However, if you don't see today's update you can use the Update Assistant Tool to manually update now, here.

Source: Microsoft

desennium, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft on freeing up space for Windows 10 Updates - Similar Threads - Microsoft freeing space

2. freeing up space and update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    freeing up space and update: How do I free up space and install the newest update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/freeing-up-space-and-update/46872102-1c15-450d-b9ff-df3eb1d3ccab
  3. freeing up space and update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    freeing up space and update: How do I free up space and install the newest update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/freeing-up-space-and-update/46872102-1c15-450d-b9ff-df3eb1d3ccab
  4. freeing up space and update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. freeing up space on windows

freeing up space on windows: one question. can i move my storage from pc to an external hard drive while being on hotspot that is beinjg provided by my android device??????? i am trying to free up space off my pc so windows can install a much needed update. many thanks in advance...
  6. free up space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    free up space: I am constantly deleting files so that my drive can be in the blue not red with space. I am not sure what to remove to get it in the blue again. This happens a lot to me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space/a15e3ad0-46ff-40cc-bd11-ce678cf07aac
  7. free up space

free up space: HOw do I transfer files from C drive to D drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space/3387af44-6d0c-46b2-af12-b325a86bdb5f
  8. Free up the space for Windows 10 update

Free up the space for Windows 10 update: Whenever I try to update windows 10 it give me error we can't install the latest windows 10 features and security improvements on your PC due to low disk space...
  9. NEED TO FREE UP SPACE FOR WINDOWS ! UPDATES!!

NEED TO FREE UP SPACE FOR WINDOWS ! UPDATES!!: I cannot figure out how to free up any more space, I bought a 2 TB external Harddrive and moved all of my files there, also redirected any new things to be saved there. What files can I remove from C Drive and store on my D External Hard Drive without disrupting my PC?...
  10. Free up space for Windows 10 updates

Free up space for Windows 10 updates: I am trying to use external storage to allow updates to install. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4013876/windows-10-free-up-space-to-install-latest-feature-update Select Start > Settings > Update & Security . From the Windows update page, select Fix issues....