Windows 10: Microsoft On-Screen Keyboard / Key-logger Attacks

Discus and support Microsoft On-Screen Keyboard / Key-logger Attacks in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Somewhere I got the impression that use of Microsoft's On-Screen Keyboard made it more difficult for anyone (who managed to sneak Key-logger Malware... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Pixelme, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Pixelme Win User

Microsoft On-Screen Keyboard / Key-logger Attacks

Somewhere I got the impression that use of Microsoft's On-Screen Keyboard made it more difficult for anyone (who managed to sneak Key-logger Malware onto my PC) to get at Data - such as Passwords, Log-in Info etc - if I typed it in using the Microsoft On-Screen Keyboard, rather than my Laptop's native keyboard.

Anyone know how correct / true that is?

Also, does it make the Windows Log-in Password anymore secure if I always enter it with the On-Screen Keyboard, or can that still easily be accessed if a Tech-Savvy Thief got hold of my Laptop? (At this stage, don't want to encrypt my entire Laptop, as it's rather old (Full Encryption isn't Support by it's Build Specification). Planning to buy a new Windows Laptop back-end of next year, once all the Intel and other microchips in 'next years models' have had their faults rectified, to make them safer from attacks that present chip vulnerabilities put them at risk of).

:)

Pixelme, Oct 5, 2018
  2. Pixelme Win User

Thanks, noted and much appreciated. (DaveM121 seems to think On-Screen Keyboard makes no difference to Key-Logger Security - See his Comment)

Pixelme, Oct 8, 2018
  3. Pixelme Win User

Somewhere I got the impression that use of Microsoft's On-Screen Keyboard made it more difficult for anyone (who managed to sneak Key-logger Malware onto my PC) to get at Data - such as Passwords, Log-in Info etc - if I typed it in using the Microsoft On-Screen
    Keyboard, rather than my Laptop's native keyboard.

Anyone know how correct / true that is?

Also, does it make the Windows Log-in Password anymore secure if I always enter it with the On-Screen Keyboard, or can that still easily be accessed if a Tech-Savvy Thief got hold of my Laptop? (At this stage, don't want to encrypt my entire Laptop, as
    it's rather old (Full Encryption isn't Support by it's Build Specification). Planning to buy a new Windows Laptop back-end of next year, once all the Intel and other microchips in 'next years models' have had their faults rectified, to make them safer from
    attacks that present chip vulnerabilities put them at risk of).

Pixelme, Oct 8, 2018
  4. Pixelme Win User

Thanks, noted and much appreciated.

Ref: On-Screen Keyboards

Guess I might be wasting my time using the On-Screen Keyboard to avoid Key-logging Programs.

Ref: Secondary Point - Chip Vulnerabilities,

Although firmware was updated by PC Manufactures for download, because my PC is a Sony Vaio, that's several years old, as far as I've been able to discern, there are no firmware updates on offer for models over 5 year's old that I can download for it.

More generally, gather the Chip Manufacturer patches bundled in with Microsoft Updates only fix part of the problem, and that updating PC Manufacture firmware is the best, currently advised, solution (if you have a PC less than 5 Years Old).

However, take your point that the chip vulnerabilities are currently more in the 'potential' that 'active' category, but because Hackers know lots of folk will not have bother to, or will be 'unable to' download up-to-date firmware for older PCs (plus will
    continue to use earlier versions of Windows) the 'chips vulnerability threats' remain
    very real. Hacker's will need some time to learn how to exploit these chip weaknesses, and to test then roll-out malware / attacks. I only mention these points as don't want others reading my Post (and the Comments in response to it) to get the impression
    there are 'zero' or few risks from current Chip Vulnerabilities.

Pixelme, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft On-Screen Keyboard / Key-logger Attacks - Similar Threads - Microsoft Screen Keyboard

2. Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger: I am having troubles from some time ago. And today i look the event viewer and get the next information:- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">- <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger"...
  3. Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger Blue screen of Death

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger Blue screen of Death: Hello My surfacebook is suffering from BSoD issues, quite frequently. The event looks like this, but other than a hardware issue, I don't understand what it is pointing to. I have included the event below for reference. I'd appreciate any pointers. I am up to date on...
  4. Microsoft Keyboard Key Mapping

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Keyboard Key Mapping: Good Morning All, I recently replaced my old keyboard Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 with a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Palm Rest Comfort Keyboard for Business - Wired It seemed to be the newer version and I believe they stopped making my old keyboard. So...
  5. Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center favorite keys on the lock screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center favorite keys on the lock screen: Hello, I'm using a Microsoft wired Ergonomic keyboard and have the three top left Favorite keys mapped to a custom script which controls a few iot devices around the office. Keys work great while I am logging in, but as soon as computer is locked either intentionally or...
  6. Anti-screen logger?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Anti-screen logger?: Is an anti-screen/key logger worthwhile? Anti-Screen-Logger?
  7. Malvertising attack on Microsoft Games

Malvertising attack on Microsoft Games: The have been a number of reports of fake virus warnings when using Microsoft Games (and possibly other apps) as shown in screenshot below>>> [ATTACH] As reported in German MC there may be otherfake offers for prize redemption....
  8. Where to find the trojans and redirecting the key logger files as well as the key logger in OS?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where to find the trojans and redirecting the key logger files as well as the key logger in OS?: I got an email stating that I have a trojan and files inserted in my com that a key logger is sending my typing to a online message board open to all who see. Would i find these files in my OS? I had noticed a clue in his email that in fact he did know a portion of a...
  9. Microsoft On-Screen Keyboard / Key-logger Attacks

Microsoft On-Screen Keyboard / Key-logger Attacks: Somewhere I got the impression that use of Microsoft's On-Screen Keyboard made it more difficult for anyone (who managed to sneak Key-logger Malware onto my PC) to get at Data - such as Passwords, Log-in Info etc - if I typed it in using the Microsoft On-Screen Keyboard,...
  10. Keyboard Malware Attack?

Keyboard Malware Attack?: Some keys/ key combinations that were previously working are no longer working. It has affected the backspace key and the Right Shift Key (RSK). Occasionally when typing, text might start being erased from nowhere. Key combination like the RSK and up arrow do not work, but...