Windows 10: Microsoft OS descriptors 1.0

Discus and support Microsoft OS descriptors 1.0 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I'm currently developping a composite USB device (4 interfaces: CDC/VCOM + 2 * winusb compatible) on an embedded device (microcontroller). To... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ADBNI, Jul 17, 2019.

1. ADBNI Win User

Microsoft OS descriptors 1.0

Hello, I'm currently developping a composite USB device (4 interfaces: CDC/VCOM + 2 * winusb compatible) on an embedded device (microcontroller). To facilitate my device being recognised on a computer, I'm trying to implement "Microsoft Compatible ID Feature Descriptor " and "Microsoft Extended Properties Feature Descriptors" to ensure Windows assigns a winusb driver to my interface. So far, I've only been able to do this for 1 interface but not 2.

The WCID_CompatID_Descriptor and WCID_ExtProp_Descriptor can have multiple sections. Are any working examples available for 2 sections? See what I've done below.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Regards,

Alan

/* WCID USB: Microsoft String Descriptor */
    ALIGNED(4) const uint8_t WCID_String_Descriptor[] = {
    (8 * 2 + 2), /* bLength (8 Char + Type + length) */
    USB_STRING_DESCRIPTOR_TYPE, /* bDescriptorType */
    'M', 0,
    'S', 0,
    'F', 0,
    'T', 0,
    '1', 0,
    '0', 0,
    '0', 0,
    LUSB_PID, 0,
    };

// WCID USB: Microsoft Compatible ID Feature Descriptor
    ALIGNED(4) const uint8_t WCID_CompatID_Descriptor[] = {
    0x28, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, // Length 40 bytes
    0x00, 0x01, // Version
    0x04, 0x00, // Compatibility ID Descriptor index
    0x01, // Number of sections
    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, // Reserved: 7 bytes

USB_CDC_LIB_NUM, // Interface Number //AB: this is the bInterfaceNumber of the WINUSB device
    0x01, // Reserved
    'W', 'I', 'N', 'U', 'S', 'B', 0x00, 0x00, // Compatible ID: 8 bytes ASCII
    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, // Sub-Compatible ID: 8 bytes ASCII
    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,

0x00, 0x00, // Reserved: 6 bytes
    };

// WCID USB: Microsoft Extended Properties Feature Descriptor
    ALIGNED(4) const uint8_t WCID_ExtProp_Descriptor[] = {
    0x8E, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, // Length 142 bytes
    0x00, 0x01, // Version
    0x05, 0x00, // Extended Properties Feature Descriptor index
    0x01, 0x00, // Number of sections

0x84, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, // Size of the property section
    0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, // Property data type (1 = Unicode REG_SZ, see table below)
    0x28, 0x00, // Property name length (40 bytes)
    // Property Name ("DeviceInterfaceGUID")
    'D', 0, 'e', 0, 'v', 0, 'i', 0, 'c', 0, 'e', 0, 'I', 0, 'n', 0,
    't', 0, 'e', 0, 'r', 0, 'f', 0, 'a', 0, 'c', 0, 'e', 0, 'G', 0,
    'U', 0, 'I', 0, 'D', 0, 0, 0,
    0x4E, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, // Property data length (78 bytes)
    // Property Name "{88BAE032-5A81-49f0-BC3D-A4FF138216D6}" from winusb.inf
    '{', 0, '8', 0, '8', 0, 'b', 0, 'a', 0, 'e', 0, '0', 0, '3', 0,
    '2', 0, '-', 0, '5', 0, 'a', 0, '8', 0, '1', 0, '-', 0, '4', 0,
    '9', 0, 'f', 0, '0', 0, '-', 0, 'b', 0, 'c', 0, '3', 0, 'd', 0,
    '-', 0, 'a', 0, '4', 0, 'f', 0, 'f', 0, '1', 0, '3', 0, '8', 0,
    '2', 0, '1', 0, '6', 0, 'd', 0, '6', 0, '}', 0, 0, 0,
    };

:)

ADBNI, Jul 17, 2019
  2. EdTittel Win User

a request for device descriptor request failed

Maybe it's time to step back from the current efforts, and start over. I suggest you read over this excellent tutorial and try all of its steps: [Solved] Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) for Windows 10 - Driver Easy. The one that may provide you with some easy relief is the one where you uninstall the device whose descriptor is failing, reboot, and see what happens when device enumeration recurs during boot-up. If you're lucky, it will fix itself.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 17, 2019
  3. titan5800 Win User
    a request for device descriptor request failed

my bios is and custom unlocked bios (latest version) (thanks to Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source ) because of lenovo hardware whitlist maybe thats causing the problem???

titan5800, Jul 17, 2019
  4. Microsoft OS descriptors 1.0

switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

Hi, My computer contained a normal HDD hard drive. I recently upgraded to a SSD. The original HDD is Disk 0 and the new SSD is Disk 1. The windows OS is on Disk 1. I want to dual boot my system with Windows and Ubuntu with both OS being on the SSD. Since
    the SSD is Disk 1 the Ubuntu install goes directly to Disk 0 because Disk 0 is first on the list. How can I switch the two Disks so my SSD drive is Disk 0? Thanks.

Katie Witkin, Jul 17, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft OS descriptors 1.0

1. Microsoft OS descriptors 1.0 - Similar Threads - Microsoft descriptors

2. Cannot log in to microsoft account after motherboard change.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot log in to microsoft account after motherboard change.: So I changed my motherboard and now cannot login as it gives me some weird error Ox8007000e, and also asks for windows password which I have not setup so I leave blank, but it gives me error again tried to set up a password, same result. Support said to activate windows that...
  3. Updating Microsoft Curl to the most recent version. Curl 7.84 <= 8.2.1 Header DoS...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updating Microsoft Curl to the most recent version. Curl 7.84 <= 8.2.1 Header DoS...: Hi,I have several servers that have this version of Curl installed. I want to get my servers updated to the most recent version so my questions are:1. What is the best way to get these servers up to the most current version? It seems we are lacking 11 updates since then.2....
  4. Cannot log in to microsoft account after motherboard change.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot log in to microsoft account after motherboard change.: So I changed my motherboard and now cannot login as it gives me some weird error Ox8007000e, and also asks for windows password which I have not setup so I leave blank, but it gives me error again tried to set up a password, same result. Support said to activate windows that...
  5. Updating Microsoft Curl to the most recent version. Curl 7.84 <= 8.2.1 Header DoS...

Updating Microsoft Curl to the most recent version. Curl 7.84 <= 8.2.1 Header DoS...: Hi,I have several servers that have this version of Curl installed. I want to get my servers updated to the most recent version so my questions are:1. What is the best way to get these servers up to the most current version? It seems we are lacking 11 updates since then.2....
  6. Updating Microsoft Curl to the most recent version. Curl 7.84 <= 8.2.1 Header DoS...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Microsoft USBC Speaker fails to enumerate via USB Hub -- Error "device descriptor request...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft USBC Speaker fails to enumerate via USB Hub -- Error "device descriptor request...: I connected Microsoft USB-C speaker via USB hub to USB-C port of Motherboard and it failed to enumerate.The speaker works fine when connected 1 directly to USBC port of motherboard 2 via USB dock.The speaker doesn't enumerate with multiple USB hubs "Device Descriptor Request...
  8. Microsoft USBC Speaker fails to enumerate via USB Hub -- Error "device descriptor request...

Microsoft USBC Speaker fails to enumerate via USB Hub -- Error "device descriptor request...: I connected Microsoft USB-C speaker via USB hub to USB-C port of Motherboard and it failed to enumerate.The speaker works fine when connected 1 directly to USBC port of motherboard 2 via USB dock.The speaker doesn't enumerate with multiple USB hubs "Device Descriptor Request...
  9. Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard USB Device Descriptor Request Failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard USB Device Descriptor Request Failed: Lenovo Y740 on Windows 10. My friend gave me a Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard second hand. When plugging in the wireless USB receiver to any USB port, it makes the connection noise but it will pop up and say device not recognized. I checked device manager and under the USB...
  10. Developping a composite USB device using Microsoft Descriptor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Developping a composite USB device using Microsoft Descriptor: Hello, I'm currently developping a composite USB device (4 interfaces: CDC/VCOM + 2 * winusb compatible) on an embedded device (microcontroller). To facilitate my device being recognised on a computer, I'm trying to implement "Microsoft Compatible ID Feature Descriptor " and...