Windows 10: Microsoft Paint UWP app will crash when being launched from "edit" context menu

Discus and support Microsoft Paint UWP app will crash when being launched from "edit" context menu in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Since update to Windows 11 22000.348, Microsoft Paint will crash when clicking "Edit" context menu entry of an image.Windows event log shows the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by CAE_, Dec 8, 2021.

1. CAE_ Win User

Microsoft Paint UWP app will crash when being launched from "edit" context menu

Since update to Windows 11 22000.348, Microsoft Paint will crash when clicking "Edit" context menu entry of an image.Windows event log shows the following event:Application: mspaint.exe, Version: 11.2110.43.0Modul; KERNELBASE.dll, Version: 10.0.22000.348Exception code: 0x00000004Error offset: 0x000000000004478cID of process: 0x33f8Changing registry key [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command] frommspaint.exe "%1"tocmd /min /c start mspaint.exe "%1" && exitcan solve the issue. Though not in an elegant way as now a black concole window will

:)

CAE_, Dec 8, 2021
  2. artnoir Win User

Change Edit photo to UWP app in context menu

Hi!

I'm having a problem with which program/app is associated with editing photos in Windows 10 20H2. Tried a bunch of different solutions offered on this and other forums, but none of them worked.

To describe my problem more clearly here is a screenshot of the context menu (I'm sorry it's in Swedish, but I'll translate the important parts).

Microsoft Paint UWP app will crash when being launched from "edit" context menu [​IMG]

As you can see, when I right-click on an image (.jpg in this case) I have the choice to Edit (Redigera) and Edit with Paint 3D (Redigera med Paint 3D).

Now, I uninstalled Paint 3D, rebooted and it still shows. It's a minor problem though as I am more interested in the single "Edit" context which I would like to replace with the Snip & Sketch UWP app because it is the fastest way to re-crop an image and keeping the same file name.

Tried the next thing which was editing the registry using this guide:
    Change App for Edit Image Context Menu Command

It said go to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command" and change the path to whichever program you want.

Opening regedit as admin (which you had to do to even see the key) I changed the standard string which was to Edit in Paint 3D to Edit in Snip & Sketch app:

"%systemroot%\system32\explorer.exe ms-screenclip:"

The only effect this had was to open the "which program do you want to launch" when clicking on Edit in the context menu. It's better than before but it would be nice if the app started directly when clicking Edit on the menu.

I realize Snip & Sketch is a UWP app and doesn't behave like a normal .exe or .dll but I'm sure it's not impossible to solve...?

artnoir, Dec 8, 2021
  3. artnoir Win User
    Change Edit photo to UWP app in context menu

Thanks, yes it resolved one of the questions posted but not the bigger one. How to edit the context menu "EDIT" to keep associate with a UWP.

artnoir, Dec 8, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

Brink, Dec 8, 2021
Thema:

1. Microsoft Paint UWP app will crash when being launched from "edit" context menu - Similar Threads - Microsoft Paint UWP

2. Context Menu: How to Set My Own Edit App for Images and NOT PAINT.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Context Menu: How to Set My Own Edit App for Images and NOT PAINT.: Many years ago I configured the Windows 10 Edit context menu option for image files to launch Photoshop.Some months ago, Windows decided that the Edit option should launch Paint, and set it that way.I can change it back by using a context menu utility.Within minutes, Windows...
  3. Context Menu: How to Set My Own Edit App for Images and NOT PAINT.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Context Menu: How to Set My Own Edit App for Images and NOT PAINT.: Many years ago I configured the Windows 10 Edit context menu option for image files to launch Photoshop.Some months ago, Windows decided that the Edit option should launch Paint, and set it that way.I can change it back by using a context menu utility.Within minutes, Windows...
  4. Context Menu: How to Set My Own Edit App for Images and NOT PAINT.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "New" context menu filled with unwanted items from UWP apps

"New" context menu filled with unwanted items from UWP apps: I've recently installed WPS Office from Microsoft Store and it filled the "New" section of File Explorer's context menu with bunch of unwanted files types. I tried using NewShellHandler and NewShellSettings to remove those items, however both don't report those file types...
  6. "New" context menu filled with unwanted items from UWP apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "New" context menu filled with unwanted items from UWP apps: I've recently installed WPS Office from Microsoft Store and it filled the "New" section of File Explorer's context menu with bunch of unwanted files types. I tried using NewShellHandler and NewShellSettings to remove those items, however both don't report those file types...
  7. Microsoft Paint UWP app will crash when being launched from "edit" context menu

Microsoft Paint UWP app will crash when being launched from "edit" context menu: Since update to Windows 11 22000.348, Microsoft Paint will crash when clicking "Edit" context menu entry of an image.Windows event log shows the following event:Application: mspaint.exe, Version: 11.2110.43.0Modul; KERNELBASE.dll, Version: 10.0.22000.348Exception code:...
  8. Change Edit photo to UWP app in context menu

Change Edit photo to UWP app in context menu: Hi! I'm having a problem with which program/app is associated with editing photos in Windows 10 20H2. Tried a bunch of different solutions offered on this and other forums, but none of them worked. To describe my problem more clearly here is a screenshot of the context menu...
  9. Windows 10 update will remove “Edit with Paint 3D” from context menu

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 update will remove “Edit with Paint 3D” from context menu: Microsoft has confirmed that it will remove “Edit with Paint 3D” from Windows 10 context menu with the next feature update. If you don’t know what Paint 3D is, then you probably were one of the many who ignored apps added with Windows 10 Creators Update. Paint 3D was first...
  10. Context menu edit

in Windows 10 Customization
    Context menu edit: Good afternoon I would like to ask for advice on how to edit the folder context menu in Windows 10 x64 build 1803, do I need 3rd party software ?, thank you. 117739