Windows 10: Microsoft patches Windows XP to fight 'WannaCrypt' attacks

Discus and support Microsoft patches Windows XP to fight 'WannaCrypt' attacks in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft officially ended its support for most Windows XP computers back in 2014, but today it's delivering one more public patch for the 16-year-old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Tony K, May 12, 2017.

1. Tony K Win User

Microsoft patches Windows XP to fight 'WannaCrypt' attacks

Article here: Microsoft patches Windows XP to fight 'WannaCrypt' attacks

Microsoft Customer Guidance - Customer Guidance for WannaCrypt attacks MSRC

:)

Tony K, May 12, 2017
  2. Rob Koch Win User

Wanna Cry Ransomware

Excerpt from the section titled "Attack vector" in the Microsoft - Windows IT Center article

WannaCrypt ransomware worm targets out-of-date systems

"The exploit code used by WannaCrypt was designed to work only against unpatched Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 (or earlier OS) systems,
    so Windows 10 PCs are not affected by this attack."

Any currently patched, supported Windows operating system has never been at risk from the original version of this ransomware.

Rob

Rob Koch, May 12, 2017
  3. Ransomware attack on Windows 10 PCs.... question

Hi all,

To add, due to the recent large scale WannsCry ransomware attack that is using the leaked NSA hack tool that Microsoft patched back in March for the OS's still being supported they have now taken the rare move of releasing a patch (update) for the legacy
    versions of Windows as well including Windows XP on up. If you have, or know anyone that does have a machine still using a legacy Windows OS take this opportunity to download and install the update to protect from future attacks that may also use this method
    of exploitation. How long these downloads will remain available, I do not know.

Customer Guidance for WannaCrypt attacks

Well, even though I rarely go online with it I'm going to now go fire-up my old XP box and update it.

Cheers,

-Richard

RichardEiler, May 12, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

I thought this to be a good will gesture by MS. *Smile

Tony K, May 12, 2017
  5. Porthos Win User
    It is good but, I was hoping this scare would get some people to get off the old systems finally.

Porthos, May 12, 2017
  6. z3r010 Win User
    It may well do, as there will be a lot of folks left with PC's that need reloading due to this hack and they may just go and get a new one or update the OS.

z3r010, May 12, 2017
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    It's not so much a goodwill gesture, but an essential measure to stop the spread of this exploit. By comparison, you can't just kill off malaria in South and Central America and Africa - the rest of the tropics need to be rid of it too.

Fafhrd, May 12, 2017
  8. Microsoft patches Windows XP to fight 'WannaCrypt' attacks

good will has NOTHING to do with it. microsoft still makes a fortune off all the hospitals and companies even though they're still running xp, so of course it's in their best interest to do something.

ChaChaLaBoom, May 12, 2017
  9. Tony K Win User
    Oh? How so?

Tony K, May 12, 2017
  10. Wynona Win User
    Absolutely, Hippsie. That's one of the best things Microsoft could have done for those who can't afford to move up from Windows XP.

Wynona, May 12, 2017
  11. Wynona Win User
    There are some who just don't have the wherewithall to upgrade from their older systems, Porthos. Just a fact of life.

Wynona, May 12, 2017
  12. it wasn't a good will gesture it was all about the money for microsoft as i explained above.

ChaChaLaBoom, May 13, 2017
  13. Samuria Win User

Samuria, May 13, 2017
  14. Wynona Win User
    Wynona, May 13, 2017
  15. Chances are the WannaCrypt exploit used a code defect that is common in XP, Vista, W7, the W8 Series and W10.

That said, it's nice that MS has decided to help its users, instead of constantly punishing/tormenting them. *Party

XP was the last Windows OS that allowed users to have actual control over their own systems.

There are still thousands(?) of people (maybe more) who consider the operating systems that followed XP to be defective (yes even W7).
    For example, XP was the last version of Windows to have a proper "Read-only" attribute.
    *Doh

Anecdotally, I didn't have any issues with XP after I stopped using IE 6.

There have been articles explaining that MS will support XP, if you pay them "big money".
    http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/26/tech...navy-contract/
    http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/governm...04-girdcd.html

lehnerus2000, May 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Microsoft patches Windows XP to fight 'WannaCrypt' attacks - Similar Threads - Microsoft patches fight

2. Fighting Against Ransomeware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fighting Against Ransomeware: This is not On by default. Please, for the sake of fighting against ransomeware, TOGGLE IT ONCheers,Drew https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fighting-against-ransomeware/6c7dfad4-185b-4418-ae5a-44eeea5b82fa
  3. Fighting Against Ransomeware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fighting Against Ransomeware: This is not On by default. Please, for the sake of fighting against ransomeware, TOGGLE IT ONCheers,Drew https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fighting-against-ransomeware/6c7dfad4-185b-4418-ae5a-44eeea5b82fa
  4. Windows 10 fighting with Windows Defender!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 fighting with Windows Defender!!!: Over the past 2 years I have been plagued with problems caused by W10 Updates which fail and tie up the PC for hours while changes are undone - why can't the system check to ensure that it is going to be possible to complete the update before it starts I am sure there will be...
  5. Latest Microsoft Update Patches New Windows 0-Day Under Active Attack

in Windows 10 News
    Latest Microsoft Update Patches New Windows 0-Day Under Active Attack: With its latest and last Patch Tuesday for 2019, Microsoft is warning billions of its users of a new Windows zero-day vulnerability that attackers are actively exploiting in the wild in combination with a Chrome exploit to take remote control over vulnerable computers....
  6. Shadow Fight 2 Not Availiable On Microsoft Store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Shadow Fight 2 Not Availiable On Microsoft Store: cant find shadow fight 2 on Microsoft store and when I go on the Microsoft site for the app it says redeem a code on the shadow fight 2 website it leads me back to the windows online store...
  7. Malvertising attack on Microsoft Games

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Malvertising attack on Microsoft Games: The have been a number of reports of fake virus warnings when using Microsoft Games (and possibly other apps) as shown in screenshot below>>> [ATTACH] As reported in German MC there may be otherfake offers for prize redemption....
  8. Fight Simulator X

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fight Simulator X: What needs to be done to activate? Only runs for about 30 minutes. Entered product code during install. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fight-simulator-x/da97e6ab-76e9-4103-bc86-0fd7530b6a25"
  9. WannaCrypt Ransomeware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WannaCrypt Ransomeware: WannaCrypt Ransomeware in action...live video. WannaCry Ransomware in Action | NSA Exploit based - YouTube 84557
  10. Microsoft - Customer Guidance for WannaCrypt attacks

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft - Customer Guidance for WannaCrypt attacks: Microsoft solution available to protect additional productsToday many of our customers around the world and the critical systems they depend on were victims of malicious “WannaCrypt” software. Seeing businesses and individuals affected by cyberattacks, such as the ones...