Windows 10: Microsoft Photo App auto rotating raw image files from portrait to landscape

Discus and support Microsoft Photo App auto rotating raw image files from portrait to landscape in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Since the latest update of the Photo App (2019.19021.18010.0) raw image files which are originally in portrait format are automatically rotated to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MoritzErnst, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Microsoft Photo App auto rotating raw image files from portrait to landscape

Since the latest update of the Photo App (2019.19021.18010.0) raw image files which are originally in portrait format are automatically rotated to landscape view and the manual rotation is disabled. This only applies to raw images and not to formats such as .jpg or .png.

The issue is only present in the view mode of the app while the image appears correctly in the editing mode.

Is there a way of disabling set auto rotation or a work around of stopping the app from doing that?

(Feedback was already given via Feedback Hub)

:)

MoritzErnst, Apr 10, 2019

2. Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files

Lately whenever I open a raw file (CR2) in Photos it flips it from portrait to landscape and I can't flip it back. It I try to use the rotate feature, it says this can't be applied to RAW files. I've reset the app, uninstalled it etc and nothing works.

Has anyone seen this?

Windows 10 (1809, build 17763.404)

Photos version 2019.19021.18010.0

Andy Bertaut, Apr 10, 2019
  3. Use of photos app, particularly in relation to landscape and portrait images and the rotation function.

I am struggling to successfully transfer photos to my TV (linked to Humax hard drive), and view portrait images as portrait not landscape. Previously, with Windows VISTA, rotating portrait images in Photo Gallery and then transferring to the HUMAX box presented
    no problems. Now, when I rotate in Windows 10 Photos App, although orientation is fine on my Windows 10 PC, on the HUMAX box all portrait images are still viewing as landscape. I have tried an alternative photo editor (paste.net) but, when rotating and saving
    in that app, the images do not appear at all on the HUMAX box. I thought about installing Photo Gallery but understand that that suite of software will not be supported beyond January 2017 so that would seem unwise.

I have seen other related posts but not found anything to resolve my issue as yet. I know that modern photographic software prompts (in the metadata) whether images should be viewed landscape or portrait rather than physically rotating the pixels/image and
    wonder whether this is what the Photos app is doing (ie amending the metadata rather than properly rotating the image).

markthompson8888, Apr 10, 2019
  4. pondlife Win User

Microsoft Photo App auto rotating raw image files from portrait to landscape

Win 10 - disable auto rotate for photos

Windows 10 auto rotates photos - now when I drag and drop photos to word 10, I have no idea which way they will rotate - all portrait become landscape = as I use many tens of photos per report this is really annoying.

With win 7, I could just drag and drop straight into a word table portrait remained portrait, landscape remained landscape.

can I disable auto rotate? is there another work around as I like win 10

Mark @ MMA Chartered Surveyors

pondlife, Apr 10, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft Photo App auto rotating raw image files from portrait to landscape

1. Microsoft Photo App auto rotating raw image files from portrait to landscape - Similar Threads - Microsoft Photo App

2. windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos: Why hasn't MS fixed this issue? If I shoot a photo vertically top to bottom, and view it in MS Photos, Win 11, it will AUTO ROTATE sideways. This has nothing to do with screen display or monitor angles. I've updated everything.I've installed RAW Image Ext and nothing works....
  3. Microsoft Print to PDF now Auto Rotates Landscape pages to Portrait?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Print to PDF now Auto Rotates Landscape pages to Portrait?: This problem only started a day or so now, but when using google chrome, and printing a Spreadsheet to PDF, when i press print, my previews and everything in chrome is showing the correct landscape orientation. When I actually save the file and then open it, the pages are...
  4. Microsoft Print to PDF now Auto Rotates Landscape pages to Portrait?

Microsoft Print to PDF now Auto Rotates Landscape pages to Portrait?: This problem only started a day or so now, but when using google chrome, and printing a Spreadsheet to PDF, when i press print, my previews and everything in chrome is showing the correct landscape orientation. When I actually save the file and then open it, the pages are...
  5. Microsoft Print to PDF now Auto Rotates Landscape pages to Portrait?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files to landscape

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files to landscape: Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW filesLately whenever I open a raw file CR2 in Photos it flips it from portrait to landscape and I can't flip it back. It I try to use the rotate feature, it says this can't be applied to RAW files. I've reset the app, uninstalled it etc...
  7. Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files to landscape

Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files to landscape: Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW filesLately whenever I open a raw file CR2 in Photos it flips it from portrait to landscape and I can't flip it back. It I try to use the rotate feature, it says this can't be applied to RAW files. I've reset the app, uninstalled it etc...
  8. Microsoft Photo roates portrait images to landscape

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Photo roates portrait images to landscape: I'm running Windows 10 and it keeps auto rotating images captured in portrait orientation to landscape orientation. I'm then looking at a sideways image. Images are in raw arw format. I have tried to "reset" , "repair" and uninstall and install Photo app but still does not...
  9. RAW Files-Portrait Orientation shown in Landscape Orientation with no rotation option.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RAW Files-Portrait Orientation shown in Landscape Orientation with no rotation option.: I have seen this question over and over again with no real answer provided. For RAW files (not jpegs) pictures taken in the portrait orientation are showing up in the landscape orientation in the windows photo viewer. In the past you could just highlight these photos,...
  10. Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Photos App auto rotating portrait RAW files: Lately whenever I open a raw file (CR2) in Photos it flips it from portrait to landscape and I can't flip it back. It I try to use the rotate feature, it says this can't be applied to RAW files. I've reset the app, uninstalled it etc and nothing works. Has anyone seen this?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ms photos rotating cr2 when opening

2. windows 10 photo app raw files keeps on rotating

3. how not to rotate raw pictures in picture files on windows

4. why wont raw images rotate in ms photos,
  5. microsoft photos is rotating my portrait pictures,
  6. rotate raw files,
  7. windows photos app raw file,
  8. download mocrosoft photos 2019.19021.18010.0,
  9. rotate raw photos in photos app windows 10,
  10. microsoft photo viewer cr2 files portrait flips to horizontal,
  11. raw image extensión windows 10,