Windows 10: Microsoft Photos app not recognizing faces in photos

Discus and support Microsoft Photos app not recognizing faces in photos in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I use Microsoft.Photos to manage all my photos (about 20K files). When i first checked possibilities using this tool, i was suprised to see that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Lorenzinio31, May 1, 2019.

1. Microsoft Photos app not recognizing faces in photos

I use Microsoft.Photos to manage all my photos (about 20K files). When i first checked possibilities using this tool, i was suprised to see that thousands of good face detection for many persons had been done automatically.

For exemple i got around 2300 detection concerning me, in spite of Lightroom detected about 2700 (but improved by manual confirmation).

The problem was the size of my collection, about 80 GB, because i'm not a photograph, this was only slowing Lightroom and other detections tools, so i decided to convert them using xnview to compress and obtained a 20 GB collection size.

Then i decided to reset Microsoft.Photos to see if it detect more faces, hoping it approches lightroom results. A really bad idea..

I never got again a working face detection... Concerning me, it detects between 80 and 120.. instead of the 2300 or more..

I tried many things :

- reset app using parameter option many times

- repaired the app using parameter option
    - created a new local account and tried detection

- tried detection on another computer (linked to my account)

- deleted the app and reinstalled using appxpackage install

- tried windows insider with latest updates

There are no logs explaining what's happening with this uwp apps.

I dont understand what's the problem. Did the conversion make my photo unreadable by recognation (Microsoft cognitive services ?).

However I can see them correctly in Photos or some other tools with same quality as the olders ...

Hope some help

***Modified title from: Since reset of Microsoft.Photos, face detection degraded a lot***

:)

Lorenzinio31, May 1, 2019
  2. sunberg Win User

Turn On or Off Face Detection and Recognition in Windows 10 Photos app

This feature seems to be bugged on the latest version. Photos with faces are recognized and listed in the "tag list" under search box, but "People" tab is empty. Tested on another device with exactly the same result...

edit: Well, I figured it out. Gallery must contain at least 3 photos of a person to show up on "People" tab. *Wink

sunberg, May 1, 2019
  3. Greedo Win User
    Windows Photos App face tagging

The Windows 10 Photos App automatically tags faces in photos. It puts the results of these efforts in the People tab:

Microsoft Photos app not recognizing faces in photos 91otg.png

Recently I imported 50 or so photos and when I checked a day later about half of them were tagged. Since then I imported a few thousand more, yet the face tagging has not updated at all, it just seems to have given up.

Is there any way to prompt the app to tag a few more photos, or anything I can do to encourage it?

NB I've seen various places where I'm told to turn on the appropriate setting, but it's been on all this time

Microsoft Photos app not recognizing faces in photos iesx2.png

Specs:

Microsoft Photos: 2018.18051.17710.0

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134

Greedo, May 1, 2019
  4. ikefardy Win User

Microsoft Photos app not recognizing faces in photos

Faces in Windows 10 Photo App not being recognized?

I recently imported new photos into my photos application, and am just wondering why the app has not yet added the faces from the new photos under the people tab. Does it take a certain amount of time for the app to recognize faces in newley imported photos?

There are some new people but also many that there are already photos of that the program already knows/ recognizes.

ikefardy, May 1, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft Photos app not recognizing faces in photos

1. Microsoft Photos app not recognizing faces in photos - Similar Threads - Microsoft Photos app

2. Microsoft Photos face tagging missing a ton of photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Photos face tagging missing a ton of photos: I can see my photos and folders thousands of photos of people and places. But, the face tagging section of the app only sees a handful 5% of total of photos. Is there a way to force this functionality to sync?...
  3. Microsoft Photos face tagging missing a ton of photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Photos face tagging missing a ton of photos: I can see my photos and folders thousands of photos of people and places. But, the face tagging section of the app only sees a handful 5% of total of photos. Is there a way to force this functionality to sync?...
  4. Photos app not recognizing people

Photos app not recognizing people: I've been trying the new photos people face recognition app and it seems quite inconsistent/ One time it works OK and now it doesn't work at all. I've had it running for several days and its not collected a single face. I've tried turning it on and off, uninstalling and...
  5. Microsoft Photos App [Face Recognition Error]

Microsoft Photos App [Face Recognition Error]: The photos app doesn't recognise photos after a particular amount.In my cases. I added a folder containing 961 photos and people section only recognised 509.*These are photos of one single person.There doesn't seems to be a manual way to add related photos under people tab....
  6. face recognition in Microsoft Photo's

face recognition in Microsoft Photo's: Hi I have over 30,000 photos and I am in the process of importing this into Microsoft Photos After a night of waiting, all photos with examples were included in the people folder. Given the large number, I think this is fast These photos include many upgrowing children and...
  7. Windows Photos: Faces detected but not recognized

Windows Photos: Faces detected but not recognized: Hey there, this seems to be a Problem many have for several months. Windows Photos stops to recognize persons after about 200 photos and does never every continue. Looking into the database file reveals that there have been more than 100 000 faces detected, however there are...
  8. W10 Photo App not recognizing all photos

W10 Photo App not recognizing all photos: My live tile did not work well so I reset it and when I did ALL my 7000 photos and people in this photo app were deleted also . I cannot get the Photo app to again find the 50 people and the recognized people . It only finds a dozen people and a few picture for each. The...
  9. Microsoft Photos not recognizing many faces in my Onedrive photos anymore

Microsoft Photos not recognizing many faces in my Onedrive photos anymore: Hello, Today i'm writing to let you guys know about a bug i've been encountering with Microsoft Photos. I have over 20,000+ photos saved on my Onedrive, and photos isn't detecting faces, i have seen other people reporting about this on here and on Windows 10 Feedback....
  10. Faces in Windows 10 Photo App not being recognized?

Faces in Windows 10 Photo App not being recognized?: I recently imported new photos into my photos application, and am just wondering why the app has not yet added the faces from the new photos under the people tab. Does it take a certain amount of time for the app to recognize faces in newley imported photos? There are some...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how long does it take for microsoft photos to recognize faces

2. microsoft photos not recognizing people

3. windows photos not recognizing people

4. windows photos not recognizing faces,
  5. why wont microsoft photo recognize faces,
  6. Windows 10 Forums > Windows 10 Software and Apps > Windows Photos: Faces detected but not recognized Windows 10: Windows Photos: Faces detected but not recognized Discus and support Windows Photos: Faces detected but not recognized in Windows 10 Sof,
  7. windows 10 photo app not recognizing faces,
  8. microsoft photos app not finding faces,
  9. windows 10 photo app is only recognizing faces in onedrive,
  10. why wont microsoft photos app recognize faces