Windows 10: Microsoft.Photos.exe causing windows 10 to restart after idle for 4 minutes?

Discus and support Microsoft.Photos.exe causing windows 10 to restart after idle for 4 minutes? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; It has taken me 4 days to troubleshoot this. After 4 minutes to 4 minutes & 15 seconds of idle time my PC just restarts. I have power options for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Veg4sJ, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Veg4sJ Win User

Microsoft.Photos.exe causing windows 10 to restart after idle for 4 minutes?

It has taken me 4 days to troubleshoot this.

After 4 minutes to 4 minutes & 15 seconds of idle time my PC just restarts.

• I have power options for turning off monitors & disc drives to never. Even changed power options to another selection.
    • I have gone through scheduled tasks and disabled any set to check for updates.
    • I removed KB4476976 which installed the morning this issue started.
    • CPU is cool to the touch, no overheating. No overclocking.
    • Turned off NIC power management allowing it to turn off the device.
    • Checked recently installed programs under "apps" & noticed HEIF image Extensions, HEVC Video Extensions & Microsoft Photos all had installed (or updated) on 2/1.
    • None of those are listed under Control Panel's "Programs and Features"
    • Searched high and low, came up empty.

Until, Watching and taking a video I had performance monitor open waiting to see what pegs the CPU right before the restart.

"Microsoft.Photos.exe"

So I check in "apps" (not to be confused with "Programs and Features") & notice HEIF Image Extensions, HEVC Video Extensions, & MS Photos had a new install date of (today) 2/4.

So, is it trying to update, running an update causing the restarts? I cannot uninstall these. I cannot even terminate them even though that option is there.

:)

Veg4sJ, Feb 4, 2019

2. Windows 10 restarts on idle after 10 minutes

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community.

We regret to know the issue you are facing. We will be glad to assist you further.

This issue might be due to incorrect power settings or corrupted power files in your system. Let's try the below steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: I suggest you to run power troubleshooter which will tell you if there is something wrong with the power settings.

Follow these steps to run power troubleshooter.

• Press Windows key + X key and Select Control Panel
    • Select Troubleshooting.

• Select View All on the top left corner.

• Run Power troubleshooter.

Step 2:
    I suggest you to reset and restore all
    of the default Power Plans back to their default settings.

Follow the steps:

1. Press Windows Key + X.

2. Select Command Prompt (Admin).

3. At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
    ENTER.

4. At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.

5. Restart the computer and check with the issue.

Step 3: Create a new Power plan and check if it helps. Follow the steps from the below link:

Power plans: frequently asked questions

Note: Link applies to Windows 10 as well. Some of the Starting steps may differ in Windows 10.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Feb 4, 2019
  3. bobburney Win User
    Windows 10 restarts every 10 minutes when idle

Windows 10 restarts every 10 minutes when idle (event viewer power kernel 41 both bug check and power stamp 0).

After extensive diagnostics I determined that the Microsoft Power Service to be the problem. When it is disabled there is no restarting. I ran the Troubleshooter but it only said to reduce the time until sleep and screen off. I
    replaced the umpo.dll file but there was no change. Any ideas?

It appears this person had the same problem:

Windows 10 every 10 mins idle it will keep restart (event viewer power kernel 41 both bug check and power stamp 0)

bobburney, Feb 4, 2019
  4. Microsoft.Photos.exe causing windows 10 to restart after idle for 4 minutes?

Windows 10 Microsoft Photos has stopped working.

Hi Roger,

This issue often caused by a corrupted files. For us to have your Photo app working, we suggest that you restore Photos app package by following these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type PowerShell, and select Windows PowerShell
      from the list of result.
    • Type this command and press Enter:
      • Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}
    • Restart your computer. Check if the issue persists.

Let us know if the steps above helped you to resolve the issue.

Janeane Cru, Feb 4, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft.Photos.exe causing windows 10 to restart after idle for 4 minutes?

1. Microsoft.Photos.exe causing windows 10 to restart after idle for 4 minutes? - Similar Threads - Microsoft Photos exe

2. Restarting after some idle minutes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restarting after some idle minutes: Computer restarts after some minutes. Sometimes it will only go back on after holding the power button for a while. PC model: Surface Laptop 2. Windows 10. I ran WinDbg and this is my log: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9fA driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a...
  3. Restarting after a some idle minutes

Restarting after a some idle minutes: Computer restarts after some minutes. Sometimes it will only go back on after holding the power button for a while. PC model: Surface Laptop 2. Windows 10. I ran WinDbg and this is my log: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE 9fA driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a...
  4. Windows 10 System CPU usage after 4 minutes of idle

Windows 10 System CPU usage after 4 minutes of idle: What is System doing? Why does this not show up in Task Manager? Why does Task Manager consistently fail to display accurate per-process CPU usage? [ATTACH]...
  5. Windows 10 restarts every 10 minutes when idle

Windows 10 restarts every 10 minutes when idle: Windows 10 restarts every 10 minutes when idle (event viewer power kernel 41 both bug check and power stamp 0). After extensive diagnostics I determined that the Microsoft Power Service to be the problem. When it is disabled there is no restarting. I ran the Troubleshooter...
  6. Windows 10 restarts after being idle for more than 5 minutes

Windows 10 restarts after being idle for more than 5 minutes: This issue started to happen this afternoon. My power setting had always been high performance, 5 mins before display off and never go to sleep. And starting this afternoon, everytime my computer is idle for 5 mins and the display turns off, the computer restarts itself....
  7. BSOD with REGISTRY_ERROR after 4 minutes of idle time

BSOD with REGISTRY_ERROR after 4 minutes of idle time: I have exactly the same problem as another forum post but the solutions there did not help. The computer seems very stable right up until I let it go idle. After 4 minutes I get the REGISTRY_ERROR bsod. The system is not over clocked. CPU temps are low. Memtest86(+) runs fine...
  8. How to restart Chrome after PC is idle for several minutes

in Browsers and Email
    How to restart Chrome after PC is idle for several minutes: I am trying to create a kiosk like experience with a win 10 touchscreen PC, where after X# of minutes, it will close and restart Chrome, so that any open tabs will close, and Chrome will open to the default home page. So the effect would be a screensaver starts after X...
  9. BSoD's after 10 minutes idle

BSoD's after 10 minutes idle: This has been going on for about a month. After ten minutes idle, I get a random blue screen. 8 passes of memtest yielded no errors. How many of the 42 .dmp files should I send and how should I send them? Thanks in advance 88850
  10. BSOD when idle for 4 minutes, REGISTRY_ERROR

BSOD when idle for 4 minutes, REGISTRY_ERROR: Starting on the 17th, which is how far back the dump files should go, my computer began receiving a BSOD with the error "REGISTRY_ERROR" whenever I would leave it idle for about 4 minutes. Previously I've never had any issues with this computer. Everything's at stock. I'm...