Windows 10: Microsoft Photos fails with message "This App Can't Open"

Discus and support Microsoft Photos fails with message "This App Can't Open" in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When trying to open Microsoft Photos, it fails to open and comes up with the message "This App Can't Open". I have tried the Windows Store... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Derek Matthews, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Microsoft Photos fails with message "This App Can't Open"

When trying to open Microsoft Photos, it fails to open and comes up with the message "This App Can't Open". I have tried the Windows Store troubleshooting option and have deleted and re-installed Photos with no change. Help!

:)

Derek Matthews, Mar 14, 2019

2. WINDOWS 10 MICROSOFT PHOTO APP

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

The Photos app brings together pictures from all your devices using OneDrive, so that you can browse them by date, album or folder. It also automatically enhances photos, and creates albums for you, to showcase your best shots.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to change the Default apps in the setting app and verify the result. You may follow the steps in the below:

• Go to settings and system.
    • Click on Default Apps and select the appropriately.

Method 2:

I suggest you to reinstall Photo app using the PowerShell command
    and reinstall using the Windows store. Follow the below steps.

• Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
    • Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.

•   get-appxpackage  *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

More reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/photos

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Mar 14, 2019
  3. Photos are opening with Paint instead of Photos app

Hello,

It's likely that your default application for opening photos is Paint. To change your default program in Windows 10 from
    Paint to the Photo app, we suggest that you perform the following steps:

• On the Start menu, select Settings.
    • Go to System, then go to Default apps.
    • Select Photos or any app that you like to be the default under
      Photo viewer.

Update us if the steps above helped you in resolving your concern.

Angela Pun, Mar 14, 2019
  4. Microsoft Photos fails with message "This App Can't Open"

Unable to open the photos in Photos App

Hello David,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in opening the Photos in Windows. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Are you trying to open the photos in Photo App?
    • Are you getting any error messages when you try to open the photos?
    • Do you have the copy of those photos and are you able to open those photos?
    Please post to us with the information above to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Mar 14, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft Photos fails with message "This App Can't Open"

1. Microsoft Photos fails with message "This App Can't Open" - Similar Threads - Microsoft Photos fails

2. failed to open Microsoft Store apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    failed to open Microsoft Store apps: I'm unable to open Microsoft Store apps. They are even not launching. Any help is appreciated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-open-microsoft-store-apps/9de6d6b7-3ea4-4b0f-aba6-83c29a7adb6c
  3. Microsoft Photos app opens randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Photos app opens randomly: I have seen multiple posts regarding this issue, and have tried many of the solutions, but the app still opens randomly which is extremely annoying. Is there any fix from Microsoft for this issue? I have version 2019.18114.17710.0 on Windows 10. I have gone through so many...
  4. Can't open Microsoft Photos

Can't open Microsoft Photos: Not sure when this started exactly, but it was recently I'd say after the newest update...of course. Right? I click on Microsoft Photos and the little window opens up in the taskbar, but the large, normal window never opens. PNGs and JPEGs both won't open. Right-click on the...
  5. Microsoft Photo Not Opening

Microsoft Photo Not Opening: So I've looked at all of the posts regarding the Photos app not working on Microsoft, and I've tried all of the options but my Photos app still isn't working. I have Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.285), and this problem has been going on for well over a year. I've never...
  6. Microsoft Photos App not working & can't reinstall

Microsoft Photos App not working & can't reinstall: My photos app was working fine then it suddenly refused to stay open. I tried using "repair" and "reset" but neither worked so I uninstalled it. Now I can not reinstall it. I get an error during the installation. I've reboot my computer. I signed out and back into the...
  7. Photo App not opening...

Photo App not opening...: I have Windows 10 Pro and I just reseted my pc and now I can't open my photos with the Photo App, I click open and nothing happens... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/photo-app-not-opening/98776947-a3b1-41e2-9642-2f88926ccdb2
  8. can't open pictures with OEM microsoft photo app and cant open camera

can't open pictures with OEM microsoft photo app and cant open camera: everytime i click on the camera i get this message "Check the Windows Store for more info about Camera." everytime i try opening a picture i get this message "Check the Windows Store for more info about Basic Photo Viewer." once i close that error message i get another...
  9. Photo app fails

Photo app fails: My Photo app in Win 10 has become just a black screen - if I try to import a photo it gives the message "the remote procedure call failed". I have tried deleting the app via both the Shell and CCleaner, then reinstalling from the app store, but the problem persists. Also...
  10. Can't open photo's

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open photo's: when I try and open a photo it says "you can not open this without admin" or something like that I am admin though please help I also have no other accounts 49899

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant open microsoft photos app