Windows 10: Microsoft Photos missing a lot of pictures stored on an network drive BECAUSE OF WRONG FILE...

Discus and support Microsoft Photos missing a lot of pictures stored on an network drive BECAUSE OF WRONG FILE... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello As many people, I encounter issues with Photos app when using a shared folder. The app can see the entire structure of network folder, including... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Laurent A78, May 22, 2020.

1. Microsoft Photos missing a lot of pictures stored on an network drive BECAUSE OF WRONG FILE...

Hello

As many people, I encounter issues with Photos app when using a shared folder. The app can see the entire structure of network folder, including subfolders. But it will not display all pictures. It is always the same pictures that are missing, even after complete reinstallation of Microsoft Photos, of removing/adding back network folders.

It appears that Microsoft Photos will apply some filter only for pictures stored on a network drive. I realized that:
    - small pictures < 200 kb are more likely to be skipped
    - pictures with a value for compressed bits/pixels as shown in file detail in explorer will be skipped

Pictures ignored by the app when stored on network drive will de shown when moved to local folder. So it is not any kind of broken file or incompatible format.

If you change the name of the file on the network drive, by adding a specific prefix, then the picture is not skipped any more. Sounds like files name starting with a specific pattern will go through some part of the code and be processed as files on local folder. This specific pattern is "DCP_xxxx_" where x is a number from 0 to 9. Example: if Microsoft Photos skips a picture named PICT0001.JPG on a network drive, renaming the file to DCP_9999_PICT0001.JPG make it being displayed in the app.

When will we have an app that process pictures which are stored on a network drive the same way as local files?

Thank you.

:)

Laurent A78, May 22, 2020
  2. robinpe Win User

Missing apps: Store, People, Photos, Games & Camera on upgrading to 10

Thanks for replying spunk. That's the 'alphabetical' list I was referring to, none of these apps are in that 'All apps' list. Any more suggestions?

robinpe, May 22, 2020
  3. Lost Picture ID + all photo files and Touchpad

Hi Doug,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I would like to ask if the option to keep files and settings was selected at the time of roll back to previous version.

Also, some files may be hidden. So, I suggest you to check the size of the drive where the photos were saved. If the files are hidden, suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Right click on Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type/ (copy & paste) the below command line.
    Attrib –h –r –s /s /d D:*.* (Replace the letter ”D” with the drive letter where the photos were saved)

Check if the photos are available.

For the ID picture on sign-in, can set it again by following the steps below:

• Go to PC Settings.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • In the right pane, click on Browse under Add a Picture.
    • Select the desired picture and click on OK.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 22, 2020
  4. Microsoft Photos missing a lot of pictures stored on an network drive BECAUSE OF WRONG FILE...

Missing Photos

Hi Tanya,

There are different ways to restore your deleted or missing files, such as restoring it from previous versions or from a backup. Since that your back up hard drive isn't working, we suggest that you restore your deleted or missing files from previous versions.
    Follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Open File Explorer.
    • Navigate to the folder that used to contain the file or folder, and then right-click on it.
    • Select Restore previous versions.
      If the folder was at the top level of a drive, for example C:\, right-click the drive, and then click on
      Restore previous versions.

To delete those duplicate photos, we suggest that you visit
    Microsoft Store
    and check for available 3rd party app for it.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Janeane Cru, May 22, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft Photos missing a lot of pictures stored on an network drive BECAUSE OF WRONG FILE...

1. Microsoft Photos missing a lot of pictures stored on an network drive BECAUSE OF WRONG FILE... - Similar Threads - Microsoft Photos missing

2. Missing photos and files in one drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing photos and files in one drive: Hi there,I have realised that the photos I saved to my one drive a few years ago are no longer there. I have followed the advice and checked the vault and recycle bin and sync problems and the files are still not there. Please can someone help?Many thanks...
  3. Missing photos and files in one drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing photos and files in one drive: Hi there,I have realised that the photos I saved to my one drive a few years ago are no longer there. I have followed the advice and checked the vault and recycle bin and sync problems and the files are still not there. Please can someone help?Many thanks...
  4. Missing photos and files in one drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Storing pictures in MS Photos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storing pictures in MS Photos: I sought an answer to this question before but perhaps I didn't word it well.I am scanning a collection of photographs that was years in the making, and I want to store them in several folders my choosing. I don't want the app to decide where to place them. Can this be done?...
  6. Storing pictures in MS Photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storing pictures in MS Photos: I sought an answer to this question before but perhaps I didn't word it well.I am scanning a collection of photographs that was years in the making, and I want to store them in several folders my choosing. I don't want the app to decide where to place them. Can this be done?...
  7. Storing pictures in MS Photos

8. Microsoft store installing to wrong drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store installing to wrong drive: I've gone into the settings and told it to install new apps to my D drive as it has over 200gb of space left, but when i try to install MCC it says there isn't enough space to install it. I think its trying to install the game to my C drive with only 50gb space left on it. Is...
  9. Microsoft Photos missing a lot of pictures stored on an network drive BECAUSE OF WRONG FILE...

Microsoft Photos missing a lot of pictures stored on an network drive BECAUSE OF WRONG FILE...: Hello As many people, I encounter issues with Photos app when using a shared folder. The app can see the entire structure of network folder, including subfolders. But it will display some but not all pictures. It is always the same pictures that are missing, even after...
  10. Microsoft store apps missing text and pictures

Microsoft store apps missing text and pictures: [ATTACH] it is this for almost every MS apps. Please Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-apps-missing-text-and-pictures/00e8ced0-0ffe-47b2-b9f6-e5090f8106e8