Windows 10: Microsoft Photos will not launch (app didn't run error) after recent windows 10 update

Discus and support Microsoft Photos will not launch (app didn't run error) after recent windows 10 update in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Microsoft Photos will not launch (app didn't run error) after recent windows 10 march update a few days ago. When trying to open an image with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by tt_955, Mar 15, 2019.

1. tt_955 Win User

Microsoft Photos will not launch (app didn't run error) after recent windows 10 update

Microsoft Photos will not launch (app didn't run error) after recent windows 10 march update a few days ago. When trying to open an image with Microsoft Photos, an error message will show "app didn't run". When trying to launch Microsoft Photos directly, a black window opens for 1 second and then closes.

It is the same problem that I have seen in several other posts, and the solutions offered do not work.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-photos-not-working/aecbce7e-1f49-4511-a493-66fbd56d3b74?page=1

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-app-is-not-working/9bd3fe01-f602-4b8e-aed5-437739ef1341

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-photos-fails-with-message-this-app-cant/843d9d45-3d77-43a3-acbd-eeacf845ac15

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-app/2e4a9c0c-44d1-4c27-8fe7-0be2b79da472

I have already tried to uninstall Photos in Powershell in Administrator mode:

get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.Photos | remove-appxpackage

I have already tried to reinstall with either the Windows Store or the Powershell:

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.Photos | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

I have already tried to reset the App cache.

I have already tried to run the windows troubleshooter.

I have already tried to set UAC to the maximum level.

I have already tried to disable my virus scanner.

I have already tried to do a clean shutdown.

I have already tried the first step with CCleaner to uninstall Photos.

None of these have solved the problem.

:)

tt_955, Mar 15, 2019

2. WINDOWS 10 MICROSOFT PHOTO APP

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

The Photos app brings together pictures from all your devices using OneDrive, so that you can browse them by date, album or folder. It also automatically enhances photos, and creates albums for you, to showcase your best shots.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to change the Default apps in the setting app and verify the result. You may follow the steps in the below:

• Go to settings and system.
    • Click on Default Apps and select the appropriately.

Method 2:

I suggest you to reinstall Photo app using the PowerShell command
    and reinstall using the Windows store. Follow the below steps.

• Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
    • Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.

•   get-appxpackage  *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

More reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/photos

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Mar 15, 2019
  3. Microsoft signals end of Paint program

Microsoft has confirmed that it will continue to offer its graphics program Paint.

In a recent update, it had listed Paint as a feature that would be either removed or no longer developed.

Paint, renowned for its simplicity, has been part of the Windows operating system since its launch in 1985.

Microsoft suggested it would not remain on Windows 10 by default but did say it would be available for free on the Windows Store.

BBC news Report here
    Microsoft Paint avoids brush with death

dorsetknob, Mar 15, 2019
  4. Angry Cub Win User

Microsoft Photos will not launch (app didn't run error) after recent windows 10 update

Microsoft Store and other apps such as Calc and Photos won't launch after Windows' update

After an update, Microsoft Store and several other apps such as Photos and Calculator stopped working. Clicking on them would open a window's frame for a split second, then immediately disappear without any error message.

I also noticed that in the pictures' properties, at the "Open with" line, Photos had been replaced by "TWINUI".

After a quick googling it appeared the problem was related to incoherences in the apps packages, however none of the guides I followed worked for me.

Another symptom was that the app's names weren't displayed in Windows' program list, instead they were shown as follow :

Microsoft Photos will not launch (app didn't run error) after recent windows 10 update 1EjcJ.png

There are different suggestions that I found on the Internet, but none of them are relevant in my situation :

• sfc /scannow
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • In powershell : Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$.InstallLocation -like
      "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode
      -Register "$($
      .InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Downloading the migration tool from Microsoft's website and updating over the current installation
    • Running Windows' problem diagnosis tools

Angry Cub, Mar 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Microsoft Photos will not launch (app didn't run error) after recent windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Microsoft Photos launch

2. Photos app didn't start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos app didn't start: I always use Windows Photos app to view photos, and then suddenly one day it just stop working. It won't open again. it says "The app didn't start" just like the picture here[ATTACH]...
  3. PHOTOS APP W10 "The App didn't Start"

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    PHOTOS APP W10 "The App didn't Start": Hi, For a few weeks now I am unable to launch the Official W10 Photos app, therefore I can't open any image as well. After the app got updated through the Microsoft Store it just crashed, impossible to launch the Photos App always get this error popup message "The App...
  4. Microsoft Windows 10 and Bluetooth, after a recent update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Windows 10 and Bluetooth, after a recent update: Not that I use W10 all that much as it is a secondary operating system on my desktop, nor do I use Bluetooth that much, as my experience of it in Windows is that between them , the end result is very flaky. Having acquired a small Bluetooth speaker a tribit sound go. I have...
  5. Apps not wokring after recent update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Apps not wokring after recent update: Hi, A number of apps and programs on my PC have stopped working since an update installed over the weekend. Ive identified Microsoft Solitaire Collection, Calendar and Calculator at this stage but there may be more. They open for a short time on the desktop then simply...
  6. This is happening after Microsoft Windows 10 most recent system update: error...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    This is happening after Microsoft Windows 10 most recent system update: error...: I hope Microsoft fixes this asap. I've tried all their BS solutions and they don't work. I suspect that means they're at fault but don't want to admit it until they figure out their bug....
  7. Microsoft Photos app crashes after recent update.

Microsoft Photos app crashes after recent update.: Hi, The Microsoft Photos app recently got updated on my PC, after which I noticed a new App start appearing in my Start Menu: Video Editor. However, after this update, both the Microsoft Photos app as well as the new Video Editor app, both crash when starting up....
  8. Photo app is not working error 'The app didn't start

Photo app is not working error 'The app didn't start: photo app is not working error 'The app didn't start [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/photo-app/55669bbd-d681-4473-87f7-c74088ab9df2
  9. Windows Photos app won't launch after removing appxprovisionedpackages

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Photos app won't launch after removing appxprovisionedpackages: I'm stuck in the following situation: I have downloaded a Windows 10 (1709) from VLSC portal and made some customizations to the WIM file. I wrote a script to remove all unwanted applications (to be exact: uninstall everything except what I want to remain). The script...
  10. Windows 10 'app didn't start' error for all default apps!

Windows 10 'app didn't start' error for all default apps!: Hi! I have been using Win 10 for about 1year now; had some glitches,this one is really troubling,hence the post. My system unfortunately contracted some malware while browsing,including Trotux Not being much of a Tech expert,I rambled through what all I could lay...