Windows 10: Microsoft Photos will not launch (app didn't run error) after recent windows 10 update

Discus and support Microsoft Photos will not launch (app didn't run error) after recent windows 10 update in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Microsoft Photos will not launch (app didn't run error) after recent windows 10 march update a few days ago. When trying to open an image with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by tt_955, Mar 15, 2019.

1. tt_955 Win User

Microsoft Photos will not launch (app didn't run error) after recent windows 10 update

Microsoft Photos will not launch (app didn't run error) after recent windows 10 march update a few days ago. When trying to open an image with Microsoft Photos, an error message will show "app didn't run". When trying to launch Microsoft Photos directly, a black window opens for 1 second and then closes.

It is the same problem that I have seen in several other posts, and the solutions offered do not work.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-photos-not-working/aecbce7e-1f49-4511-a493-66fbd56d3b74?page=1

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-app-is-not-working/9bd3fe01-f602-4b8e-aed5-437739ef1341

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-photos-fails-with-message-this-app-cant/843d9d45-3d77-43a3-acbd-eeacf845ac15

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-app/2e4a9c0c-44d1-4c27-8fe7-0be2b79da472

I have already tried to uninstall Photos in Powershell in Administrator mode:

get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.Photos | remove-appxpackage

I have already tried to reinstall with either the Windows Store or the Powershell:

Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.Photos | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

I have already tried to reset the App cache.

I have already tried to run the windows troubleshooter.

I have already tried to set UAC to the maximum level.

I have already tried to disable my virus scanner.

I have already tried to do a clean shutdown.

I have already tried the first step with CCleaner to uninstall Photos.

None of these have solved the problem.

:)

tt_955, Mar 15, 2019

2. WINDOWS 10 MICROSOFT PHOTO APP

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

The Photos app brings together pictures from all your devices using OneDrive, so that you can browse them by date, album or folder. It also automatically enhances photos, and creates albums for you, to showcase your best shots.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to change the Default apps in the setting app and verify the result. You may follow the steps in the below:

• Go to settings and system.
    • Click on Default Apps and select the appropriately.

Method 2:

I suggest you to reinstall Photo app using the PowerShell command
    and reinstall using the Windows store. Follow the below steps.

• Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
    • Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.

•   get-appxpackage  *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

More reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/photos

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Mar 15, 2019
  3. Microsoft signals end of Paint program

Microsoft has confirmed that it will continue to offer its graphics program Paint.

In a recent update, it had listed Paint as a feature that would be either removed or no longer developed.

Paint, renowned for its simplicity, has been part of the Windows operating system since its launch in 1985.

Microsoft suggested it would not remain on Windows 10 by default but did say it would be available for free on the Windows Store.

BBC news Report here
    Microsoft Paint avoids brush with death

dorsetknob, Mar 15, 2019
  4. Angry Cub Win User

Microsoft Photos will not launch (app didn't run error) after recent windows 10 update

Microsoft Store and other apps such as Calc and Photos won't launch after Windows' update

After an update, Microsoft Store and several other apps such as Photos and Calculator stopped working. Clicking on them would open a window's frame for a split second, then immediately disappear without any error message.

I also noticed that in the pictures' properties, at the "Open with" line, Photos had been replaced by "TWINUI".

After a quick googling it appeared the problem was related to incoherences in the apps packages, however none of the guides I followed worked for me.

Another symptom was that the app's names weren't displayed in Windows' program list, instead they were shown as follow :

Microsoft Photos will not launch (app didn't run error) after recent windows 10 update 1EjcJ.png

There are different suggestions that I found on the Internet, but none of them are relevant in my situation :

• sfc /scannow
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • In powershell : Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$.InstallLocation -like
      "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode
      -Register "$($
      .InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Downloading the migration tool from Microsoft's website and updating over the current installation
    • Running Windows' problem diagnosis tools

Angry Cub, Mar 15, 2019
  5. What was your result after your PowerShell command? I have had many issues with the Store and Store Apps. Here is the command I use to fix the Store and other MS Store apps. It basically re-downloads and installs the default apps. Remember to run PowerShell as an Administrator.

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Hope this helps!

Eric Zimmerman, Mar 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Microsoft Photos will not launch (app didn't run error) after recent windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Microsoft Photos launch

2. Microsoft Photos App Copy photo broken with recent update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Photos App Copy photo broken with recent update: Hi Community,I am an avid photographer and take many pictures sorting them down to the best ones to print, sell, etc. I used to double click a picture in a folder; opening the photos app. I would find the photos I wanted and copy Control+C and paste Control+P from the open...
  3. Microsoft Photos App Copy photo broken with recent update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Photos App Copy photo broken with recent update: Hi Community,I am an avid photographer and take many pictures sorting them down to the best ones to print, sell, etc. I used to double click a picture in a folder; opening the photos app. I would find the photos I wanted and copy Control+C and paste Control+P from the open...
  4. Microsoft Photos App Copy photo broken with recent update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Photos app along with other microsoft store apps not opening after recent update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Photos app along with other microsoft store apps not opening after recent update: Updated my windows 10 today and now the microsoft apps dont work such as the photos app. It says this app cant open. I cant even open the microsoft store anymore so i dont know what to do now......
  6. Microsoft Photos App error "the app didn't start"

Microsoft Photos App error "the app didn't start": I have a new HP laptop running Windows 10. When I try to open a photo or screen snip I receive the error "the app didn't start" I have tried all fixes posted: uninstall, reinstall from microsoft store, reset, rpair, Powershell etc etc. etc Still I can't use Microsoft Photos....
  7. Microsoft Photos - "The app didn't start."

Microsoft Photos - "The app didn't start.": Hi Everyone, After a ton a research and attempted fixes, I decided to post this question in the hopes of getting a new or updated response. On my Windows 10 machine, I have been having issues with the Microsoft Photos app not opening for the past few months, I am not...
  8. Microsoft Photos App "This app didn't start" error

Microsoft Photos App "This app didn't start" error: Hello, I am having an issue where my Microsoft Photos app isn't working properly. The error I'm getting states "this app didn't start". I have tried all 3 of these "fixes" with no resolution:...
  9. Photos app missing after recent update

Photos app missing after recent update: Split from this thread. ms photo is missing after recent update. now cannot reinstall from ms store. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-app-missing-after-recent-update/03e4aaaf-15da-4409-a72b-a4c230e46e2e
  10. Microsoft Photos app crashes after recent update.

Microsoft Photos app crashes after recent update.: Hi, The Microsoft Photos app recently got updated on my PC, after which I noticed a new App start appearing in my Start Menu: Video Editor. However, after this update, both the Microsoft Photos app as well as the new Video Editor app, both crash when starting up....