Windows 10: Microsoft plans to improve Default Apps management on Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft plans to improve Default Apps management on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released a new Windows 10 Insider Build on Wednesday that brought the build number to 19608. One of the changes in the build improves the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 17, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft plans to improve Default Apps management on Windows 10

Microsoft released a new Windows 10 Insider Build on Wednesday that brought the build number to 19608. One of the changes in the build improves the default apps experience according to Microsoft.

Default apps are the programs that Windows will start when certain files are loaded. An image file type like jpg could be opened with an image viewer while a document with Office.

Up until now it has been a nightmare to set default applications and make sure that the setting is not changed. When you open the Default apps options under Settings > Apps > Default Apps, you get a short list of common application types, e.g. photo viewer, video player, and music player, and the programs associated with them.

Tip: Stop Resetting my Apps makes sure that Windows 10 won't change default apps automatically.

A click allows you to change the default program but only to one listed or a Microsoft Store application. The configuration page offers options to choose default apps by file type or protocol, e.g. png or http, and to set defaults by app.

When you open the choose default apps by file type, you get a very long list of known file types and the default program the filetype is associated with. Problem is, the page lacks any options to find a specific filetype quickly. Want to change the default app for png images or docx documents? You need to scroll a lot to get there and it is still hit and miss.

Microsoft plans to improve Default Apps management on Windows 10 windows-10-default-apps-improvements.png

Microsoft added a search option to the page to improve the default application experience. Instead of having to scroll to find specific filetypes, it is now possible to use the search field to find it and jump straight to it.

Over the years, we’ve made a number of improvements to Settings based on your feedback, and we’re happy to share the next one is starting to roll out. We’re adding the ability to search the lists of file types, protocols, and apps when setting a default.

Only 50% of Insider PCs get the search option at the time of writing. Microsoft notes that it is evaluating the quality before it rolls out the feature to more systems.

Closing Words

Search functionality is a small change but it improves the experience significantly while using the page. While that is a step in the right direction, it is clear that the entire default application experience on Windows 10 needs a usability overhaul as it is too limiting and not user friendly.

Now You: What is your take on default apps on Windows 10?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft plans to improve Default Apps management on Windows 10 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 17, 2020
  2. puma99dk| Win User

Windows 10 forgets default apps

I have noticed like not 5mins ago that Winamp just got kicked out of my default apps list in Windows 10 Pro.
    I installed this installation not max 3 weeks ago with fresh downloaded Windows 10 Pro using Microsoft Media Creation Tool, is there a way to fix this bcs I using sfc /scannow don't do a lot for me and I have run it before on this installation.

Before u ask, I have fully updated my Windows 10 with all non-insider/beta updates.

The only thing I have disabled is the uac prompt that popup when u need admin for applications to run bcs it's simply annoying.

I don't remember having all these problems with Windows 8.1 Pro when i was using that and I am really thinking about going back so I can have "fully control" over Windows again with like disabling all the admin crap bcs I feel like it's messing more up and makes things less useful in Windows 10 with all these small problems I have and I read a lot of ppl having problems with various things time and time again where they needed to reinstall Win10 over and over to get it to work fully.

Any advice on how I can get Windows 10 to just work as a "daily driver" without all these small annoying things? *Frown Microsoft plans to improve Default Apps management on Windows 10 :(

puma99dk|, Apr 17, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Apr 17, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Windows 10 10036: App management improved

Read more: Windows 10 10036: App management improved

Brink, Apr 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Microsoft plans to improve Default Apps management on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft plans improve

2. Microsoft improves App Management in the Windows 11 Settings app

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft improves App Management in the Windows 11 Settings app: When Microsoft releases its Windows 10 operating system in 2015, it made it clear that the days of the classic Control Panel were numbered. Back then, Microsoft introduced the Settings application as a replacement. [ATTACH] Only some of the preferences, tools and options of...
  3. Microsoft Edge Windows Task Manager Improvements in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Edge Windows Task Manager Improvements in Windows 10: Performance is essential to your success, which makes it core to ours. To help ensure the browser doesn’t slow you down, we always keep performance in mind as we continue to improve Microsoft Edge. We’re also working to help you understand how...
  4. Restore default power plans in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Restore default power plans in Windows 10?: Hi, I have no idea how my power plans don't exist anymore, but I need to restore all my power plans. I tried using these command lines in Admin Windows PowerShell and in Admin command prompt, but they didn't work. [ATTACH] Any ideas?...
  5. Microsoft plans to improve another core feature of Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft plans to improve another core feature of Windows 10: Windows 8 was released with the promise that it would bridge the two worlds — modern and legacy/traditional computing. In addition to your existing Win32 apps, Windows 8 also shipped with the ability to run the modern apps that would offer better multitasking experience on...
  6. Microsoft plans to improve File Explorer on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft plans to improve File Explorer on Windows 10: File Explorer is long due for a big update and it looks like Microsoft is finally working on improvements for Windows 10’s built-in file manager. According to multiple LinkedIn job posts, Microsoft could be working on new features for File Explorer on both Windows 10 and...
  7. Microsoft plans to improve performance of Windows 10 with Retpoline

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft plans to improve performance of Windows 10 with Retpoline: The latest cumulative update for Windows 10, which was released on March 1, appears to include one important change. Windows 10 KB4482887 (Build 17763.348) introduces “Retpoline” for Windows 10 version 1809 on certain devices and Microsoft plans to roll out the changes to...
  8. Improvements planned for File Explorer in Windows 10 19H1 update

in Windows 10 News
    Improvements planned for File Explorer in Windows 10 19H1 update: Microsoft today released a new Windows 10 Build 18277 for Fast and Skip Ahead Insiders. Apart from adding several new features, Microsoft has also teased some minor improvements for File Explorer which will be part of the next major update codenamed “19H1”. Windows 10...
  9. Microsoft’s Whiteboard app for Windows 10 updated with improvements

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s Whiteboard app for Windows 10 updated with improvements: Microsoft announced Whiteboard, a new creative collaboration app back in May. At that time, the app was designed for Microsoft’s Surface Hub now it works on any Windows 10 PC with touch screen or mouse input. Microsoft says that Whiteboard is a new app to let you collaborate...
  10. Windows 10 10036: App management improved

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 10036: App management improved: [img] Over the past few years, apps have taken over every type of device; from your phone, to your PC to your Xbox, apps are everywhere. In the latest version of Windows 10 to hit the web, managing your apps is getting a bit easier thanks to a couple of new features....