Windows 10: Microsoft plans to improve performance of Windows 10 with Retpoline

Discus and support Microsoft plans to improve performance of Windows 10 with Retpoline in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The latest cumulative update for Windows 10, which was released on March 1, appears to include one important change. Windows 10 KB4482887 (Build... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Mar 2, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft plans to improve performance of Windows 10 with Retpoline

The latest cumulative update for Windows 10, which was released on March 1, appears to include one important change. Windows 10 KB4482887 (Build 17763.348) introduces “Retpoline” for Windows 10 version 1809 on certain devices and Microsoft plans to roll out the changes to more devices eventually.

Back in 2018, when Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities were discovered, Microsoft and other tech giants rolled out software updates to address the vulnerabilities. While the patch addressed the vulnerabilities, the reports revealed that mitigations could have an impact on performance, ranging between five and 30 percent.

To deal with the performance concerns, Google developed software-based mitigation called ‘Retpoline’ for Spectre Variant 2. The implementation of Retpoline is supposed to improve the performance of Spectre variant 2 mitigations in various platforms including Linux and Windows.

As Microsoft’s engineers also found this approach useful, the software maker began working on integrating Retpoline into the Windows last year.

Implementation of Retpoline is a big deal. The Retpoline and Microsoft’s own kernel modifications have reduced the performance impact to noise-level for most scenarios on Windows 10 devices.

Microsoft originally said that Retpoline will be integrated into Windows with the next version of the operating system, codenamed 19H1, which is due to come out in April 2019. But it appears that Microsoft also plans to ship changes to devices running the older version of Windows 10, starting with October 2018 Update.

Retpoline in Windows 10 October 2018 Update

In the changelog of KB4482887, Microsoft noted that it is the enabling of Retpoline “on certain devices” to improve the performance of Spectre variant 2 mitigations. However, the performance changes will be delivered to devices eventually as Microsoft is sticking to phased rollout approach.

With the latest cumulative update, Microsoft has backported the OS-level modifications needed to support Retpoline. In the next few months, Microsoft will begin enabling the feature via cloud configuration on more devices.

“Enables ‘Retpoline’ for Windows on certain devices, which may improve the performance of Spectre variant 2 mitigations (CVE-2017-5715),” the changelog reads.

“Today, we’re starting our phased roll out of Retpoline performance optimization for Spectre variant 2 mitigations to Windows 10 1809. As we’ve shared before, Windows 10 19H1 will ship with Retpoline enabled by default,” Microsoft’s Mehmet Iyigun explained.

In another blog post, Microsoft noted that Retpoline is currently disabled on production Windows 10 client devices. However, Microsoft says that it will begin pushing the changes to enable the feature over the coming months.

“While Retpoline is currently disabled by default on production Windows 10 client devices, we have backported the OS modifications needed to support Retpoline so that it can be used with Windows 10, version 1809 and have those modifications in the March 1, 2019 update,” Microsoft explains.

Microsoft plans to improve performance of Windows 10 with Retpoline Task-Manager-featured.jpg

The performance impact of this change varies. For instance, it could speed up the Office app launch times by up to 25% on Broadwell CPUs.

As things aren’t that simple, Microsoft plans to enable Retpoline on more devices running Windows 10 October 2018 Update over the next few months. It’s worth noting that Retpoline will be also enabled by default in the next version of Windows 10, codenamed 19H1, which is due to come out in April 2019.

The post Microsoft plans to improve performance of Windows 10 with Retpoline appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Mar 2, 2019
  2. Bansaku Win User

Microsoft Gives Windows 10 a Major Performance Boost

Sir, YOU are the idiot! Get off your high horse and step into reality. Been building customs PCs for 20 years, and can tell you Windows 10 trumps 7/8.1 in every way! If you have issues, it's YOUR fault, NOT Microsoft's!

The ONLY version of Windows that has not been superior to the previous version would be the transition from XP to Vista, and we all know who we can blame for that monstrosity!

*Toast :toast:

Bansaku, Mar 2, 2019
  3. Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

it would've been great if microsoft added HEVC decoders, LAV filters along with other codecs with Windows 10, and developing WMP to be better than VLC, KMPlayer and such sorts of media players.

Nevertheless, this is good step for microsoft, by far.

Analog_Interface, Mar 2, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Windows 10 Battery Plans

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key,

• Type Choose a power plan.

• There you will be able to customize the power plan.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Mar 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Microsoft plans to improve performance of Windows 10 with Retpoline - Similar Threads - Microsoft plans improve

2. Performance Improvements in Microsoft Excel for the Web

in Windows 10 News
    Performance Improvements in Microsoft Excel for the Web: With an uncompromised goal to provide our customers with the ideal, fast, and smooth user experience, we’re excited to announce the latest significant performance improvements in Excel for the web. We have addressed and improved several scenarios, including...
  3. trying to improve performance-

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    trying to improve performance-: my computer is running too slowly. when i searched help, i was told to chesk fo the latest updates when i clicked on that I got an error message sayin the server terminated because it enclountereed a "client request loop". Now I cant get past that step in the tips to...
  4. Microsoft plans to improve another core feature of Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft plans to improve another core feature of Windows 10: Windows 8 was released with the promise that it would bridge the two worlds — modern and legacy/traditional computing. In addition to your existing Win32 apps, Windows 8 also shipped with the ability to run the modern apps that would offer better multitasking experience on...
  5. Retpoline

Retpoline: Hi community, I have 2 question: 1,Is there anyway to know exactly if my pc has Retpoline ? 2, Is there anyway to disable Spectre Variant 2 which cause performance issues ? I read about it on Windowslatest.com Appreciate all your help <3 Thank you...
  6. Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10 - by Microsoft

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10 - by Microsoft: Ten basic items to consider... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...pc-performance HTH *Smile 155811
  7. Microsoft plans to improve Default Apps management on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft plans to improve Default Apps management on Windows 10: Microsoft released a new Windows 10 Insider Build on Wednesday that brought the build number to 19608. One of the changes in the build improves the default apps experience according to Microsoft. Default apps are the programs that Windows will start when certain files are...
  8. Microsoft plans to improve File Explorer on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft plans to improve File Explorer on Windows 10: File Explorer is long due for a big update and it looks like Microsoft is finally working on improvements for Windows 10’s built-in file manager. According to multiple LinkedIn job posts, Microsoft could be working on new features for File Explorer on both Windows 10 and...
  9. Improve performance

Improve performance: Very slow pc. How do I improve performance? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/improve-performance/870b638c-8473-4024-b0c2-297850f670c4
  10. Performance Improvement Needed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performance Improvement Needed: New Windows 10 user cannot figure out how to run performance improvements functions (defrag, remove temp files, remove cookies, etc.). Please help. Thank you 77564