Windows 10: Microsoft Policy change to "Update" for mapping network drives, when previously it was...

Discus and support Microsoft Policy change to "Update" for mapping network drives, when previously it was... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; All - I was experiencing problems with blank pages in my PDF's when viewing them in my software Nuance Power PDF and also Nitro Pro PDF, and when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Daybreak0, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Daybreak0 Win User

Microsoft Policy change to "Update" for mapping network drives, when previously it was...

All - I was experiencing problems with blank pages in my PDF's when viewing them in my software Nuance Power PDF and also Nitro Pro PDF, and when searching I found that the same problem was occurring in Acrobat PDF software.

Someone on Acrobats forums who were having problems with other tax software which had started crashing had spent hours and hours trying to fix the problem reported this -

"Group Policy was previously using "Replace" to map network drives. Apparently Microsoft changed the way that Replace behaves via Group Policy on Win 8, Win 10, and Server 2012 machines and now says to use "Update" to map the drives."

When they changed group policy to make it "Replace" instead of "Update" they no longer had problems with their Tax software crashing.

Subsequently they no longer had problems with blank pages in their PDF either.

However I believe this problem goes way further than just the above.

I use a NAS for all my files, with mapped drives to different folders on my NAS. Quite often -

* I lose the mappings with an image of a cross coming up over the drives. however all I have to do is click on them to restore them.

* I am the only one that ever uses my files, but I can open one up, make changes and when I go to save it tells me someone else is using the file (normally when in compatibility mode).

* my PC slows down when using my NAS especially with PDF files, where they like freeze for a minute or longer.

Now possibly it is something else, but I don't believe so.

So my question is, as the Acrobats forum solution did not include any instructions on how to change group policy, how do I change group policy to Replace when mapping network drives. I really need a step by step.

I am running Windows 10 (not pro or anything) on a 64 bit machine

Thank you.

:)

Daybreak0, Oct 1, 2019
  2. DMyr Win User

Trouble Mapping Network Drive

I have a WD NAS drive connected to my router and have mapped it on three of my computers. I just setup another laptop with Windows 10 and have updated it to 1809 and when I tired Mapping a network drive nothing is displayed in the browse window except the
    computer I am currently using. The drive is shown under network locations in File Explorer but not when you select map network drive and browse. I right clicked on the drive and selected properties and noted the IP address and went back into Map network drive
    but instead of selecting browse I entered the IP address but it still does not map the drive. The strange part is if I go to any of the computers that already has the network drive mapped and select Map network drive and select browse none of those computers
    show the drive either but you can select the mapped drive in the drive list in file explorer and it works just fine.

I have read several articles both here and elsewhere and tried the suggestions but nothing works. Network discovery is turned on as is file sharing and also checked if all three boxes under SMB file sharing support in Windows features were also checked and
    they are. I have mapped several computers to several different drives over the years and anytime the drive was not listed it was always easy to go into Network Sharing Centre and find the problem but everything seems to be as it should so would appreciate
    if someone can suggest something I may have overlooked.

Thank you

DMyr, Oct 1, 2019
  3. Isha Soni Win User
    Cannot add/change drive letter in disk management or map network drive.

Hi,

Thanks for the update on the issue. try these methods and check.

Method 1: I would suggest you to change to the following options for
    both the systems (Main PC and Set-top PC) on the network in the
    advanced sharing settings (OpenNetwork & Sharing Center
    > Change Advanced Sharing settings):

- Turn on Network Discovery

- Turn on file and printer sharing

- Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folders

- Turn off password protected sharing

Now, try to map the drive following these steps:

• Press Windows key+E key on the keyboard.
    • Click Computer (above) and click on
      Map network drive from the options given under the address bar.
    • In the Drive box, click the drive letter you want to use.
    • In the Folder box, type
      \\server\share, where you can type the IP address of the drive to be mapped. For example, if the IP address is 192.168.6.xxx, you can type
      \\192.168.6.xxx.
    • Click Finish.

Method 2:

Try to ping the IP address from the Run command. Refer to the following steps:

• Press Windows button and
      R key
    • Type in the IP address of the drive to be mapped, e.g., if the IP address is 192.168.6.xxx, you can type
      \\192.168.6.xxx.
    • Click OK.

Check if you are able to open the network drive.

Method 3:

If the methods do not help, try to rename the
    hosts
    file in the drivers and check if you are able to connect to the network drive.

• Click Windows key and File explorer.
    • Go to the location C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.
    • Rename the file hosts to
      hosts.old and close the window.
    • Restart your computer.

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, please post back for further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Oct 1, 2019
  4. Compumind Win User

Microsoft Policy change to "Update" for mapping network drives, when previously it was...

Mapped network drives don't work in Windows 10 version 1809

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-version-1809

Compumind, Oct 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Microsoft Policy change to "Update" for mapping network drives, when previously it was... - Similar Threads - Microsoft Policy change

2. Map network drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Map network drive: I have been trying to mount one of my home directory on my computer. For that , I have to use Map network drive but I could not find in my file explorer. Now, what should I do to get that option back on my computer?...
  3. Network drive mappings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network drive mappings: I have a vintage NAS: Blackarmor 220. I have to use drive mappings to access files on the drive because Microsoft decided I couldn't use what used to work. Periodically, a new version of Windows 11 is installed and all of my drive mappings to my NAS stop working. Often, I can...
  4. Mapping Network Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapping Network Drives: Both my PC and my Wife's laptop are running Win 11 with no problems.I managed to map the laptop C drive to my PC but when I tried the other way around I accidentally mapped my public drive to her laptop.I have unmapped it; however, when I try to map my C drive to her laptop,...
  5. Mapping Network Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapping Network Drives: Both my PC and my Wife's laptop are running Win 11 with no problems.I managed to map the laptop C drive to my PC but when I tried the other way around I accidentally mapped my public drive to her laptop.I have unmapped it; however, when I try to map my C drive to her laptop,...
  6. Mapping a network drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mapping a network drive: I'm trying to connect to a webdav server via the "map network drive feature". I feel like i've had success in the past with entering https://192.168.1.45:5201<---- thats not a real link I can connect to it everywhere else... submitted by /u/rexlx [link] [comments]...
  7. Is there a way for Windows to not search for previously mapped but offline network drives...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way for Windows to not search for previously mapped but offline network drives...: I've been having issues with file explorer loading slowly with "Working on it...". This is a new laptop with SSD drive and this issue didn't exist for the first few days when I had it. It dawned on me and I was able to identify the culprit being a mapped network drive that I...
  8. Mapping a network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapping a network drive: I am trying to map a network drive from one Windows 10 PC to a shared USB drive on another Windows 10 PC. I have two USB drives in this PC. One I can share successfully. When I try to map to the other one it keeps asking for Windows credentials. I have password protected...
  9. Map Network drive

Map Network drive: Having an issue with mapping network drive with my local Netgear device. The id/password for attaching to the netgear device is local to the device and is not joined to a domain. My windows 10 laptop is joined to a domain. When I try to map a drive, such as...
  10. Map Network Drive

Map Network Drive: What to do with the following error: "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occured: We can't sign you in with this credential because your domain isn't available. Make sure your device is connected to your organization's network...