Windows 10: Microsoft posts instructions for upgrading to Windows 11 on unsupported PCs

Discus and support Microsoft posts instructions for upgrading to Windows 11 on unsupported PCs in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A new support page on Microsoft's support website provides instructions on installing Windows 11. A paragraph on the page includes instructions on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Oct 6, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft posts instructions for upgrading to Windows 11 on unsupported PCs

A new support page on Microsoft's support website provides instructions on installing Windows 11. A paragraph on the page includes instructions on upgrading Windows 10 devices that are not compatible with Windows 11's system requirements to Windows 11.

When Microsoft announced Windows 11, it shocked part of the userbase with its updated system requirements for the operating system. Microsoft did not change requirements when it released previous versions of Windows. A Windows 7 PC of 2009 could very well run Windows 10, released in 2015.

Tip: check out our Windows 11 review of the best features here.

Windows 10 users may get incompatibility messages in Windows Updates or the PC Health Check application. Windows Update may display This PC doesn't currently meet all the system requirements for Windows 11, indicating that at least one component is not compatible. The PC Health Check app may reveal the components, but some users reported already that this was not the case on their systems.

Users may download Windows 11 manually to install it, but incompatibilities may prevent the installation.

Workarounds were discovered quickly to install Windows 11 on incompatible PCs. Microsoft confirmed that Windows 11 could be installed on incompatible devices, but that users should not do so. The company warned customers that incompatible Windows 11 devices would not receive support and that they were not eligible to receiving updates. The message sparked a heated debate: would incompatible Windows 11 PCs get regular security updates, or would Microsoft prevent these devices from receiving any updates.

We know now that updates will be delivered, and that feature updates may not be delivered to incompatible devices. Still, the workarounds will likely continue to work on these devices so that future feature updates, the first will be released in about 12 months, can be installed on incompatible Windows 11 devices.

Microsoft's official Windows 11 upgrade workaround for incompatible PCs

Microsoft posts instructions for upgrading to Windows 11 on unsupported PCs what-needs-your-attention.png

All that is required is to set a single Registry value on the device that is not compatible. The Windows 11 installer will not check the processor or TPM component according to Microsoft. Other requirements, such as hard drive space, will still be checked.

Note: Microsoft advises against installing Windows 11 on unsupported devices. A linked support page warns users that the devices may malfunction and that the devices are not guaranteed to receive updates.

Your device might malfunction due to these compatibility or other issues. Devices that do not meet these system requirements will no longer be guaranteed to receive updates, including but not limited to security updates.

Bypass the compatibility check

Microsoft posts instructions for upgrading to Windows 11 on unsupported PCs AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU.png

1. Open the Start Menu.
    2. Type regedit.exe and start the Registry Editor once the results are displayed.
    3. Confirm the UAC prompt.
    4. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup
    5. Right-click on MoSetup and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
    6. Name it AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU.
    7. Double-click on the new Dword and set its value to 1.
    8. Restart the PC.

Administrators may then upgrade to Windows 11 using installation media, which can be downloaded using our instructions (and not via Windows Update).

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft posts instructions for upgrading to Windows 11 on unsupported PCs appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Oct 6, 2021
  2. btarunr Win User

Windows 8 Upgrade Streamlined to 11 Clicks

For those who upgrade between succeeding versions of Microsoft Windows, the upgrade installer can be cumbersome. There are way too many prompts and clicks. Microsoft is working to make the upgrade package of its next major version of Windows, for now referred to as Windows 8, streamlined to as few as 11 clicks. The new installer will be designed to perform most of its tasks without needing user input.

Microsoft will implement a new web-delivery method, where you purchase your Windows 8 license online, and the installer downloads your soft copy to you. It is pre-fed with your 25-character product key. Microsoft's next major Windows release is slated for 2012.

Microsoft posts instructions for upgrading to Windows 11 on unsupported PCs 114b_thm.jpg

Source: Winrumors

btarunr, Oct 6, 2021
  3. bobkn Win User
    upgrade to windows 11 from windows 10

The only officially supported way to get 11 at this time is by joining the Windows Insider program, in either the developer or beta channels.

However, 11 has some hardware security requirements that many PCs that are more than a couple of years old don't meet. There are utilities to check for those . Here's one: Windows 11 Compatibility Checker 2.4 Download | TechSpot

The sticking point for a lot of PCs is the CPU. AMD supported list: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...amd-processors Intel supported list: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors

It is possible to run the 11 insider versions on hardware that doesn't meet the requirements, but Microsoft has stated that the release version of 11 will not run on unsupported hardware.

It's very different from Windows 10 in that regard.

bobkn, Oct 6, 2021
  4. Microsoft posts instructions for upgrading to Windows 11 on unsupported PCs

Windows 10 Upgrade Error 11/11/2015

Hi Marianne,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are facing issues with installing the updates, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Were you able to see any error notification along with the error code?
    • What is the make and model of your device?
    • Are you able to boot in to the desktop?

This issue might be due to the anti-virus software or corrupted Windows Update Components.

I suggest you to hard reboot the computer and perform the below.

Step 1: Try to eject all the external devices connected to your computer except mouse and keyboard, reboot the computer and check if the issue persists.

Step 2: I suggest you to uninstall the anti-virus software installed on your device and check for the updates.

If the issue still persists,

Step 3: I suggest you to run the Windows Update troubleshooter and check.

Resolves problems that prevents you from updating windows.

Steps:

• Press Windows key and type
      Troubleshooting
    • Click on Troubleshooting and click on
      View all in the left pane.
    • Select Windows Update to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
      and follow the on-screen instructions.

For further reference: How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10
    Installation

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 6, 2021
Thema:

Microsoft posts instructions for upgrading to Windows 11 on unsupported PCs

1. Microsoft posts instructions for upgrading to Windows 11 on unsupported PCs - Similar Threads - Microsoft posts instructions

2. Windows 11 Upgrade - incorrect unsupported CPU advice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Upgrade - incorrect unsupported CPU advice: On Windows upgrade Health check it advises that the CPU is unsupported only issue, however when I look up the list of supported CPU's the CPU is listed as supported - it is an Intel Core i5-7300U *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, what can i do to upgrade?...
  3. Windows 11 Upgrade - incorrect unsupported CPU advice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Upgrade - incorrect unsupported CPU advice: On Windows upgrade Health check it advises that the CPU is unsupported only issue, however when I look up the list of supported CPU's the CPU is listed as supported - it is an Intel Core i5-7300U *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, what can i do to upgrade?...
  4. Not able to upgrade to Windows 11 due to unsupported CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to upgrade to Windows 11 due to unsupported CPU: Hi Everyone,I have an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900x 8-core CPU. It surpasses all the Windows 11 requirements but My PC health check still shows not able to upgrade due to an unsupported CPU. The PC meets all other requirements secure bootTPM2.0 enabled 40GB system RAM240 GB...
  5. Not able to upgrade to Windows 11 due to unsupported CPU

Not able to upgrade to Windows 11 due to unsupported CPU: Hi Everyone,I have an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900x 8-core CPU. It surpasses all the Windows 11 requirements but My PC health check still shows not able to upgrade due to an unsupported CPU. The PC meets all other requirements secure bootTPM2.0 enabled 40GB system RAM240 GB...
  6. Can I upgrade to Windows 11 on an unsupported PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I upgrade to Windows 11 on an unsupported PC?: Can I upgrade to Windows 11 on an unsupported PC? My specifications are as follows:Device name DESKTOP-45I7BA9 Processor IntelR CoreTM i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz Installed RAM 8.00 GB GPU IntelR HD Graphics 2000Hard Disk Device ID ------------- Product ID...
  7. Can I upgrade to Windows 11 on an unsupported PC?

Can I upgrade to Windows 11 on an unsupported PC?: Can I upgrade to Windows 11 on an unsupported PC? My specifications are as follows:Device name DESKTOP-45I7BA9 Processor IntelR CoreTM i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz Installed RAM 8.00 GB GPU IntelR HD Graphics 2000Hard Disk Device ID ------------- Product ID...
  8. Windows 11 unsupported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 unsupported: Can i still update to Windows 11 even if my CPU is not supported? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-unsupported/adb4d652-b5be-416b-9a80-97f5daa1a4a1
  9. Will unsupported Windows 11 devices be bricked by Microsoft?

in Windows 10 News
    Will unsupported Windows 11 devices be bricked by Microsoft?: When Microsoft announced its Windows 11 operating system, it made it very clear that the operating system was designed for devices that meet the operating system's system requirements. The company pulled the released Windows 11 compatibility checker, because it only returned...
  10. BSOD - Posting Instructions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - Posting Instructions: BSOD - Posting Instructions *YouTube video player 1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below. [img] 2. Save the .exe file to your desktop or other convenient location. 3. Double click on the file to run it. 4. If prompted by UAC...