Windows 10: Microsoft Print to PDF Creates an Empty File (XPS too, if you use it)

Discus and support Microsoft Print to PDF Creates an Empty File (XPS too, if you use it) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, First, some keywords to help search engines find this page. Microsoft Print To PDF Empty Zero Length File Not Working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Shadders, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Shadders Win User

Microsoft Print to PDF Creates an Empty File (XPS too, if you use it)

Hello,

First, some keywords to help search engines find this page.

Microsoft

Print

To

PDF

Empty

Zero

Length

File

Not

Working

Administrator

It's clear that the number of people with this problem is vast.

While I don't claim to be able to solve the problem for all of you, this is what worked for me:

My problem was that no matter where I printed a PDF to, it would allways result in an empty file.

I found that if I ran the program I was printing from as Administrator, a PDF print would work.

I found that the problem was with the permissions granted to the Print Server, not the the Pinter device.

To change the permissions, you need an Administrator level user account.

Press the Windows key an type "print", that should be enought to show "Printers and Scanners", select it to open the Printers and Scanners settings window.

On the right hand side, look for Related Settings and click the Print server properties link.

In the window that opens, select the Advanced tab. See the button at the bottom called Change Advanced Settings? Click it.

In the next window that pops up, select the Security tab.

Now, click the Add... button.

In the new window that pops up, enter the user name or group name into the Enter the object names to select text box and click the Check Names button.

If you've entered a name that Windows recognises, then you should see the name you typed in change to the computer name, a back slash "\" and the name you typed in, all underligned.

Assuming this is the case, click OK.

This will return you to the prior security window, you should now see your user name listed with all the others.

Click on the user name to highlight it.

Now, in the Permissions for [your username] make sure that all the Allow boxes are ticked.

Click OK.

Try printing a document using the Microsoft Print to PDF printer. If all is well, you should now have a working PDF file.

Please feel free to critique Microsoft for persisting this problem for literally years and making the solution so opaque it has MVP level Mods on their own website unable to find a solution Microsoft Print to PDF Creates an Empty File (XPS too, if you use it) :)

:)

Shadders, Dec 14, 2018
  2. MB NH Win User

Occasionally "Microsoft print to pdf" creates empty files

Have already done all of the steps suggested in that link.
    The problem only happens occasionally; maybe two or three times a day.
    Happening on several PC's, the only way to catch it before it goes to customers is the size of the file created.
    If it is 0 or 1kb, it's a blank document.
    Microsoft Print to pdf was working fine until about two weeks ago.
    Thank You

MB NH, Dec 14, 2018
  3. axys93 Win User
    Windows 10 - "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" and "Microsoft Print To PDF" no longer working

On your question, you said that you tried to uninstall the feature using the 'Turning Windows features on or off', let's try another approach:

• Search for Device Manager, or do Win + R and then DEVMGMT.MSC.
    • Go to 'Print queues' then uninstall both the PDF and XPS print queues.
    • Search for 'Advanced Printer Setup', or look this option in the Control panel.
    • Select 'The printer that I want isn't listed', in the next window choose 'Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings', select 'Use an existing port:' then in the dropdown select 'FILE: (Print to File)'.
    • In the next window, it will appear a list. Select Microsoft then in the second list select 'Microsoft Print to PDF' and next.
    • Select 'Replace the current driver' and then next
    • Give the printer a name (I suggest the original name) then next and it shall reinstall the printer and its driver.
    • Repeat the process but now instead of selecting 'Microsoft Print to PDF' in the list, select the XPS one.
    • Restart and see if it prints now.

axys93, Dec 14, 2018
  4. Erika Aro Win User

Microsoft "Print to PDF" prints out Garbage

Hi,

To better assist you regarding Microsoft Print to PDF, we just have a few questions for you:

• What are the documents that you're trying to save as a PDF file?
    • Can you provide us a step-by-step screenshot of how you print your documents as PDF?

Erika Aro, Dec 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft Print to PDF Creates an Empty File (XPS too, if you use it) - Similar Threads - Microsoft Print PDF

2. Microsoft Print to PDF tool create file 0kB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Print to PDF tool create file 0kB: I use Microsoft Print to PDF but it create file 0kB and can't open. I have tried all the ways on this forum but it still doesn't work. Help./. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-print-to-pdf-tool-create-file-0kb/c953c3b5-6e80-4f6d-a10a-d44f35701c51
  3. Microsoft Print to PDF tool create file 0kB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Print to PDF tool create file 0kB: I use Microsoft Print to PDF but it create file 0kB and can't open. I have tried all the ways on this forum but it still doesn't work. Help./. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-print-to-pdf-tool-create-file-0kb/c953c3b5-6e80-4f6d-a10a-d44f35701c51
  4. Microsoft Print to PDF tool create file 0kB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Monochrome PDF using Microsoft print to PDF

Monochrome PDF using Microsoft print to PDF: Is it possible to print monochrome - grayscale PDF form "Microsoft print to PDF" virtual printer?And how to set that.RegardsH Misic https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monochrome-pdf-using-microsoft-print-to-pdf/7acd6734-8e76-4fc1-9029-e58eefdbe263
  6. Monochrome PDF using Microsoft print to PDF

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monochrome PDF using Microsoft print to PDF: Is it possible to print monochrome - grayscale PDF form "Microsoft print to PDF" virtual printer?And how to set that.RegardsH Misic https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monochrome-pdf-using-microsoft-print-to-pdf/7acd6734-8e76-4fc1-9029-e58eefdbe263
  7. Monochrome PDF using Microsoft print to PDF

8. Microsoft Print to PDF & XPS Writer not working

Microsoft Print to PDF & XPS Writer not working: Hi, Suddenly these two printer drivers stopped working. No warning, just stopped working. I have tried to turn both features off in Windows Features, reboot, and then turn them on again. It doesn't work. When I try to turn them on, it fails with an error code 0x800F0922....
  9. Occasionally "Microsoft print to pdf" creates empty files

in Windows 10 Support
    Occasionally "Microsoft print to pdf" creates empty files: Having an issue with “Microsoft print to pdf”. It occasionally creates a blank page, empty pdf file. It worked perfectly for years, but over the last two weeks this issue popped up. I have uninstalled the print to pdf “printer” in “Devices and Printers”. Then added it again....
  10. Create and email pdf always wants to print it too?

Create and email pdf always wants to print it too?: Not sure if this is the right place to put this... Feel free to move it if needed. We just updated a work pc to Ten from Seven. When we try to create and email a pdf from a program called Printers Plan it always starts to print it too. We temporarily uninstalled the printer,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft print to pdf file empty

2. empty pdf using microsoft print to pdf

3. When printing a pdf the file is empty

4. print to pdf empty