Windows 10: Microsoft product key not working after hardware change

Discus and support Microsoft product key not working after hardware change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My pc started out as a prebuilt and I upgraded the MB, GPU, and CPU along the way and windows worked fine with those. Then I figured out that the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by tongkyukim, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Microsoft product key not working after hardware change

My pc started out as a prebuilt and I upgraded the MB, GPU, and CPU along the way and windows worked fine with those. Then I figured out that the current setup I had was unstable and I had to get a new MB and CPU. After I booted up with the new parts, the Activate Windows watermark showed up and I am not able to play any games I have installed from the Microsoft Store. I have also tried to re-enter my product key but it says the product key does not work. Someone please help

:)

tongkyukim, Mar 19, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 19, 2021
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Mar 19, 2021
  4. Microsoft product key not working after hardware change

Product Key Changed

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Share this information to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • After which update this happened? Share the KB number of the update?
    • Have you made any software or hardware changes prior to this issue?
    • Where did you get the product key from? Was it from the previous operating system?
    Actually, the installation of windows update does not modify the product key.

Your reply is very important to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information to assist you accordingly.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Mar 19, 2021
Thema:

Microsoft product key not working after hardware change

1. Microsoft product key not working after hardware change - Similar Threads - Microsoft product key

2. My product key was invalid after major hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My product key was invalid after major hardware change: I just change my motherboard, so that means I have to reinstall Windows 10. Currently I'm using the education version from my university, after I tried putting the product key it gave me an error, I have attached the screenshot for the error window. After failed, I tried...
  3. My product key was invalid after major hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My product key was invalid after major hardware change: I just change my motherboard, so that means I have to reinstall Windows 10. Currently I'm using the education version from my university, after I tried putting the product key it gave me an error, I have attached the screenshot for the error window. After failed, I tried...
  4. My product key was invalid after major hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Lost product key after hardware change

Lost product key after hardware change: I have upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to windows 10 pro using a digital licence 2 years back. But after a hardware failure i had to replace motherboard. Now windows is showing "Activate windows" but i haven't noted down the product key, What is the solution?...
  6. Lost product key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost product key after hardware change: I have upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to windows 10 pro using a digital licence 2 years back. But after a hardware failure i had to replace motherboard. Now windows is showing "Activate windows" but i haven't noted down the product key, What is the solution?...
  7. Lost product key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows 10 Pro product key stopped working after changing hardware

Windows 10 Pro product key stopped working after changing hardware: I recently built a new pc with completely different parts, and installed windows on it using the product key I have been using for years. But then it told me that the product key is invalid and that I should purchase windows?...
  9. ome key not working after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ome key not working after hardware change: hi there so I installed windows on my new pc using a ome key the key worked then I noticed I had a faulty motherboard so I had to get a replacement and now my windows 10 install is saying that my key Is not valid error code: 0xC004C060 HELP PLZ...
  10. Lost production key after hardware change

Lost production key after hardware change: Hello. So i recently bought and installed a new motherboard with cpu and rams. And were about to clean up my documents for a fresh install, when sudden my windows activation was "lost"? My windows 10, was the "free" update from Microsoft, which was updated from my windows 7...