Windows 10: Microsoft publishes workaround for printing BlueScreen issue in Windows

Discus and support Microsoft publishes workaround for printing BlueScreen issue in Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft published a workaround for the printing issue that affects all Windows 10 client and server versions that have the March 2021 security... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 13, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft publishes workaround for printing BlueScreen issue in Windows

Microsoft published a workaround for the printing issue that affects all Windows 10 client and server versions that have the March 2021 security updates installed.

The security updates were released on March 9, 2021 as part of the Patch Day of the month. Reports of printing related BlueScreen issues started to appear on social media sites and forums shortly after the release, and Microsoft did confirm the issue but did not publish a workaround back when it did.

An update was posted to the known issue today that provides further details on the issue and workarounds to address it.

Microsoft notes that a subset of Type 3 printer drivers are affected by the issue. The company provides instructions to find out if such a driver is installed:

1. The Print Management Console needs to be installed, if it is not, search for "manage optional features" and run the result. Select Add Feature, type print, find the Print Management Console and install it on the device.
    2. Load printmanagement.msc from the run box (Windows-r).
    3. Expand Print Servers and select Printers.
    4. The Driver Type for each printer is displayed.

A video demo describes how to mitigate the printing related issue. Microsoft explains that the workaround differs depending on the system and driver architecture.

For 32-bit printer drivers on 64-bit versions of Windows

Microsoft publishes workaround for printing BlueScreen issue in Windows windows-printer-bluescreen-fix.png

1. Select Start, type cmd, right-click on the Command Prompt result and select "run as administrator" to open an elevated command prompt.
    2. Run rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /Xg /n "KX driver for Universal printing"
      • Make sure to replace KX driver for Universal printing with the name of the driver.
      • You can find out the name by opening Settings, typing printer in the search field, and selecting Printer & Scanner settings. All printers that are installed are listed on the page that opens.
    3. The command opens the Printer User Interface. Check for the existence of "Direct" under Attributes.
    4. If Direct does not exist, run rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /Xs /n "KX driver for Universal printing" attributes +direct to add it.
      • Again, replace KX driver for Universal printing with the name of the installed driver.

The issue should be resolved afterwards for that particular driver. Repeat the steps for any other driver that is affected by the issue.

For 32-bit drivers on 32-bit Windows, or 64-bit drivers on 64-bit Windows

Microsoft publishes workaround for printing BlueScreen issue in Windows windows-printing-bluescreen-fix.png

The solution is more complex for these scenarios.

1. Load the Windows ADK download page by pointing your web browser to https://aka.ms/windows/adk.
    2. Download the Windows ADK to your system.
    3. Run the downloaded installer.
    4. On the "select the features you want to install" page, check "Application Compatibility Tools" to install those as part of the ADK.
    5. Complete the installation.
    6. The next steps need to be followed for every application that you print from, e.g. Edge and Microsoft Word.
      1. Open Start, select the new Compatibility Administrator.
      2. Right-click on the only database file under Custom Databases, and select Create New > Application Fix.
      3. Type the name of the application and the vendor, and select the executable file using the browse button on the page.
      4. Click next until the Compatibility Fixes page is displayed.
      5. Find PrinterIsolationAware on the page and check it to enable it.
      6. Click Next and finish.
      7. Save the changes using the save button.
      8. Right-click on the new fix in the Compatibility Administrator and select "install" to install the fix.

Microsoft plans to release a fix for the issue in the coming week. (via Tero Alhonen)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft publishes workaround for printing BlueScreen issue in Windows appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 13, 2021

2. Print from microsoft edge

Hi Genio,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let’s follow these steps and see if it fixes the issue:

Method 1: I suggest you to follow the steps below to print
    documents in the Windows 10 Edge browser and check if it helps:

• Once the document is open in Edge, press Ctrl+P or
      More actions button at the top last end of the browser.

• Click Print as PDF button.

• Check if the document prints as expected.
    If the above steps did not work, try the next methods.

Method 2: I would suggest you to run “Hardware and Devices” troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue.

Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Right click on the start button.
    • Click Control Panel.
    • Select “Hardware and sound”.
    • Next select Devices and printers.
    • Right click on the device or printers which you need to troubleshoot and select
      troubleshoot and follow the onscreen instruction.

Hope this information helps. Reply with the status so that we could help you further.

Thank you.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Mar 13, 2021
  3. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Mar 13, 2021
  4. Microsoft publishes workaround for printing BlueScreen issue in Windows

Printing issues

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• How are you trying to print?

• Have you tried printing from a different application and checked?
    I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.
    Follow these steps to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Printer.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    Also, I suggest you to install the latest chipset and printer drivers from manufacturer website and check if it fixes the issue.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Mar 13, 2021
Thema:

Microsoft publishes workaround for printing BlueScreen issue in Windows

1. Microsoft publishes workaround for printing BlueScreen issue in Windows - Similar Threads - Microsoft publishes workaround

2. Microsoft Publisher 2010 Key issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Publisher 2010 Key issue: I have recently purchased Microsoft Publisher 2010 from a person on EBAY. I loaded the program but then I get the "This is not a valid Office Product key ". Is there anyway I can use this software or have I been taken to the cleaners? Thank you....
  3. Microsoft Publisher 2010 Key issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Publisher 2010 Key issue: I have recently purchased Microsoft Publisher 2010 from a person on EBAY. I loaded the program but then I get the "This is not a valid Office Product key ". Is there anyway I can use this software or have I been taken to the cleaners? Thank you....
  4. Publisher to MS Print to pdf

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Publisher to MS Print to pdf: When printing from Publisher 2002 to Microsoft Print to pdf, a few of the photos are cropped and part of the photo is missing. All photos were from the same camera and photo editor. This is a 61 page booklet but only 4 photos are resized...
  5. Publisher to MS Print to pdf

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Publisher to MS Print to pdf: When printing from Publisher 2002 to Microsoft Print to pdf, a few of the photos are cropped and part of the photo is missing. All photos were from the same camera and photo editor. This is a 61 page booklet but only 4 photos are resized...
  6. Publisher to MS Print to pdf

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Microsoft Publisher Download

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Publisher Download: If i close my laptop will the download restart or resume when i reopen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-publisher-download/c598bdd7-d402-44d3-a9ab-fb0a849845db
  8. pages not printing in publisher

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    pages not printing in publisher: Some of my booklet pages are not printing in publisher? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pages-not-printing-in-publisher/f384372c-e0cf-47de-8221-2575b21e25ec
  9. Publisher not printing Wingding

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Publisher not printing Wingding: Publisher will not print wingding characters even though it has before. Also, text boxes in Publisher are showing up completely black (never did before.) I had an update to my computer, then the problems started. I uninstalled the updates thinking this would solve my...
  10. Publisher printing question - troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Publisher printing question - troubleshooting: At the church that I work for I use publisher to print, yearly, their narrative booklet for stewardship season. It's 5 physical pages, booklet format 8.5"x14". I have set it up such that the booklet format is set up in Publisher and not dictated by the driver (in other...