Windows 10: Microsoft pushes and pulls wrong Windows 10 update

Discus and support Microsoft pushes and pulls wrong Windows 10 update in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; On October 22, Microsoft started rolling out an optional cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1903 with fixes for critical bugs. In addition to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Oct 26, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft pushes and pulls wrong Windows 10 update

On October 22, Microsoft started rolling out an optional cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1903 with fixes for critical bugs. In addition to the optional cumulative update, Microsoft also shipped a standalone package KB4523786 to make quality improvements to Windows Autopilot configured devices.

Windows Autopilot is commonly used by businesses and enterprises to set up and pre-configure new devices in their organizations. Businesses also use Windows Autopilot to reconfigure, recover and reset devices in the organization, and KB4523786 comes with several fixes for such devices.

A number of users have reported that Microsoft accidentally delivered KB4523786 to PCs with Windows 10 Home and Pro. If you see ‘Cumulative update for Autopilot in Windows 10 version 1903: October 22, 2019’ on Windows Update page when you check for updates, you should avoid it.

Windows 10 doesn’t immediately restart after downloading the patch. Instead, it will offer you to restart the PC and schedule the restart. In this case, you can click on pause updates for 7 days and patch will not appear again when Windows checks for updates next time.

Microsoft pushes and pulls wrong Windows 10 update Windows-10-KB4523786.jpg

KB4523786 is supposed to be a cumulative update for Autopilot-configured devices and not for normal installations of Windows 10. In a tweet, Microsoft’s Intune team has confirmed that the update was released accidentally and it has been pulled:

“Sorry for your experience! An Intune Autopilot update, which was targeted as part of the out of box experience for new devices, was incorrectly offered to customers running Windows Home edition during a regularly scheduled Windows update scan,” a Microsoft representative stated.

“Once we became aware of the issue, we stopped distribution of the update. If you have already installed the update, it will not affect you. If not, there is further action required”.

You can open Windows Update > View Update history to check if the update has been applied on your PC.

It’s worth noting that users haven’t reported any problems after installing KB4523786, but if you have it installed and you are experiencing unexpected problems, simply click on ‘Uninstall updates’ option and remove the patch.

The post Microsoft pushes and pulls wrong Windows 10 update appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Oct 26, 2019
  2. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft to push automatic Windows 10 upgrades in 2016

"Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will be automatically rolled out next year to all users of its older operating systems who have selected to receive updates.

Until now, users of Windows 7 and 8 have needed to register to upgrade to Windows 10. But that's about to change: soon the OS will be listed as an 'Optional Update' and -- from 2016 -- a 'recommended' update that will automatically install itself, if users have opted to receive updates in that way.*Shadedshun :shadedshu:

You can opt out of automatic updates to avoid this, but Microsoftsays that "we strongly discourage this in today’s connected world because of the constant risk of internet threats". You can also change your Windows Update settings to install critical updates but not recommended ones. Although it's still going to be possible to avoid installation, Microsoft seems quite determined for everyone to be using Windows 10 in near future.

The roll-out of reserved updates was initially staggered but, according to Microsoft, now Windows "will automatically kick off the upgrade process once you have made a reservation".

As an intermediate stage, Microsoft says that it will "soon" publish Windows 10 as an optional update, not installed by default, but accessible to all users.
    "

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive...rade-to-be-rolled-out-automatically-next-year

P4-630, Oct 26, 2019
  3. OSdevr Win User
    Microsoft Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Available Today

Oh dear they're still pushing that. I STILL don't like the metro tiles and stuff!

OSdevr, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Microsoft pushes and pulls wrong Windows 10 update

Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Microsoft pushes and pulls wrong Windows 10 update [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft pushes and pulls wrong Windows 10 update

1. Microsoft pushes and pulls wrong Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Microsoft pushes pulls

2. Microsoft's sneaky KB5001716 Windows 10 update pushes Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's sneaky KB5001716 Windows 10 update pushes Windows 11: If you run Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system on your devices and wan to keep it that way, you may want to check whether the Windows 10 update KB5001716 is installed on the device. The reason for this is that it is designed to push newer versions of Windows, including...
  3. Microsoft is seriously pushing it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft is seriously pushing it...: I appreciate that this is a community of volunteers helping support those of us in need because Microsoft can't even have the courtesy of providing its customers with a complaint site to vent our frustrations. I can understand why there isn't a complaint site because it would...
  4. Microsoft pulls the security update KB4524244 for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft pulls the security update KB4524244 for Windows 10: Microsoft published a standalone security update for Windows 10, KB4524244, on the February 2020 Patch Tuesday. The security update addressed "an issue in which a third-party Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) boot manager might expose UEFI-enabled computers to a...
  5. windows 10 push wrong update ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 push wrong update ?: i use win 10 1809 and windows update push me the "KB4465065". This update is a "microcode update" for specific CPU. I have an i5-9600K so i shouldnt recive this update. Can you give me some suggestion?thanks 135391
  6. windows 10 push wrong update ?

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 push wrong update ?: i use win 10 1809 and windows update push me the "KB4465065". This update is a "microcode update" for specific CPU. I have an i5-9600K so i shouldnt recive this update. Can you give me some suggestion?thanks 135391
  7. Microsoft nuisance Push

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft nuisance Push: Twice now I've had my laptop (less than a year old) down and unable to use due to Microsoft push. First time was an update which ironically was meant to 'make it easier to use'. Couldn't open the system at all and took a few days and a download from a technician to a friend's...
  8. Microsoft pulled the Windows 10 November Update due to privacy setting

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft pulled the Windows 10 November Update due to privacy setting: Microsoft has today detailed why they chose to pull the Windows 10 November Update from Windows Update and the Media Creation Tool over the weekend. Their initial comment regarding the situation claimed the company decided that all users needed to update via Windows Update,...
  9. Microsoft has pulled the Windows 10 November Update

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft has pulled the Windows 10 November Update: Microsoft has pulled the Windows 10 November Update from Windows Update 30988
  10. Microsoft Pulls Windows 10 Mobile 10586.29 Update

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Pulls Windows 10 Mobile 10586.29 Update: Microsoft rolled out Windows 10 Mobile 10586.29 earlier this month, but it appears that owners of the new Microsoft flagship phones, Lumia 950 and 950 XL are having some major problems with it. Microsoft has decided to pull the update from its servers while it investigates...