Windows 10: Microsoft pushes Windows 10 upgrade to PCs without user consent

Discus and support Microsoft pushes Windows 10 upgrade to PCs without user consent in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; OUCH! But that upgrade over one 7 install didn't go so well! First a look a the report! Microsoft pushes Windows 10 upgrade to PCs without user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Night Hawk, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Microsoft pushes Windows 10 upgrade to PCs without user consent

OUCH! But that upgrade over one 7 install didn't go so well! First a look a the report!

see report in full

So why didn't 10 simply upgrade over 7 automatically? Well in Windows 7 the option of checking for and prompting the user or never are two alternative options to prevent updates from simply going on automatically without prior notification. The manual check on the 10 app suddenly one day(Sept. 1st) start downloading the previously reserved in mid June copy but too late! 10 was already set up in a dual boot with 7.

Others report finding 10 had already gone on from having left everything to the automatic setting. How to prevent an unplanned or unwanted upgrade especially if you already have 10 set up in a dual boot situation? The Windows Update setting in the Control Panel are the place to start. The solution here will be the already scheduled need for a long over due clean install of 7 first getting things on 10 organized a bit? *chuckle

But what if the 10 app returns for some reason afterwards? Well 10 has already been released since the app was first seen prior to 10's launch date. A clean install on a second machine of 7 Pro so far hasn't even seen the 10 app appear as that was seen to after the launch date. Keeping the option to never or with 8 or 8.1 the option to defer updates or schedule restarts preferred and recommended are one way to prevent the automatic upgrade over the previous version if you trying to keep a dual boot or simply not ready to upgrade to 10.

:)

Night Hawk, Sep 14, 2015

2. How do I get to my email contact list on Windows 10?

Very upset with Microsoft 10 upgrade. First issue was locating all my "stuff" after the upgrade was initiated without my consent. For days, could not locate any of my files or send an email. Very frustrating. The upgrade was pushed on me, but then
    I was left to fend for myself. Now email has been combined and I cannot snyc my contacts to the new one. There is no step by step guidance for us tech challenged users. Help!

gloriasflores, Sep 14, 2015
  3. DanceScientist, Sep 14, 2015
  4. Trust_No1 Win User

Microsoft pushes Windows 10 upgrade to PCs without user consent

This is really pushing the envelope. What bothers me most, is the fact that I explicitly opted out and yet the icon an all remain. Doesn't Microsoft get it? When I say NO I mean NO?

Are they really that desperate that they feel the need to try and force people into switching? When I said no, the icon should have been removed and all future references to it.

Trust_No1, Sep 14, 2015
  5. LEE
    Lee Win User
    . . .Oh Microsoft forced this on you. . .wow. . .interesting. . .*Smile

6. I do believe the Get Windows 10 application installs via Windows update automatically, If you have Windows update on the default settings. Even if you uninstall that update, you have to then block it/hide it or it will just install again. If you reserve your upgrade, a big download ensues. It looks like it downloads anyway even if you take no action. Not a good thing for some with limited bandwidth and or limited hard drive space. If it actually does the upgrade on its own then that's even worse. So you were saying?

alphanumeric, Sep 14, 2015
  7. If you have a previous version set to receive updates and install them automatically chances are 10 will automatically download. Even as an update any upgrading of an OS still requires user interaction! First off you have to select language as well as agree to the license agreement for the installation to continue.

Following the initial restart once all of the setup files are in place you then have to enter your new admin user account information. That also takes user interaction even though that will be during the last stage of the upgrade. And then you still have the option to reverse the upgrade to revert back to the previous version. As for the 10 app that simply appears automatically by way of the updates while that is for reserving your copy which you have to then click on and sign up to receive providing a valid email address.

Night Hawk, Sep 14, 2015
  8. zooburner Win User

Microsoft really aren't helping themselves are they.. this after all the miss information about what data was actually being collected via windows 10.
    I too think No should mean no, I'm reinstalling Windows 7 next week but have spent some time looking to see if there is a way to re-install 7 without all the GWX (Get Windows 10) and telemetry updates. As a result I have a list of about 15 updates to NOT install and also this link which may be of help to you.

How to Stop Windows 7 or 8 from Downloading Windows 10 Automatically

This was sent to me by another user and seems to offer a way to stop windows 7 going down the upgrade route.

Zoo

zooburner, Sep 14, 2015
  9. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Makes sense. . . *Smile. . .of course there are those. . .*really

10. groze Win User
    Shouldn't Microsoft at least run a compatibility upgrade to make sure those computer can be upgraded to windows 10 before downloading windows 10 updates to their machines if the machine is set to download updates automatically?

groze, Sep 15, 2015
  11. The Get Windows 10 Application checks for compatibility and gives you a report. I assume if your system isn't compatible it won't do the download. It won't let you reserve your upgrade if it isn't.

alphanumeric, Sep 15, 2015
  12. DooGie Win User
    That's correct Alpha, my works PC has an old Nvidia Quadro card in it for which there isn't a Win 10 compatible driver. It wouldn't let me reserve a copy. I've still left the Win 10 icon in the tray and check ocasionally but it just informs me my PC is not compatible.
    On that same screen it does ask if I want to buy a new PC though *Smile

DooGie, Sep 15, 2015
  13. popeye Win User

Again, why I'm holding off indefinitely moving to 10. I am on limited satellite internet and can't afford no control over updates. Have my 8.1 set to notify, no automatic downloading. And deferring is not control either in my book.

popeye, Sep 15, 2015
  14. Winuser Win User
    If MS is doing this to those who didn't ask to reserve Windows 10 than this is wrong. I like Windows 10 but I don't think MS should sneak a Windows 10 download to anyone who didn't ask for it.

Winuser, Sep 15, 2015
  15. Kandel Win User
    Am I the only one who thought:
    "Oh! So this is what they meant when they said they would get it on a billion devices."?

Kandel, Sep 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft pushes Windows 10 upgrade to PCs without user consent - Similar Threads - Microsoft pushes upgrade

2. Windows 11 installed without consent

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 installed without consent: Windows 11 has been trying to force itself onto me for years. For years, I've refused, annoyed at the stupid screen telling me "Setting up" "Almost ready" to then ask me whether I want to install office and whether I want to "upgrade" to windows 11. The last day, an update...
  3. Windows 11 upgrade without consent

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 11 upgrade without consent: My windows upgraded to windows 11 while in sleep mode without my consent. How do I go back to windows 10, restore my previous settings and eliminate the possibility of this occurring again?...
  4. Windows 11 upgrade without consent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 upgrade without consent: My windows upgraded to windows 11 while in sleep mode without my consent. How do I go back to windows 10, restore my previous settings and eliminate the possibility of this occurring again?...
  5. Windows 11 upgrade without consent

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Auto upgrade to windows enterprise without my consent

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Auto upgrade to windows enterprise without my consent: Hello, I recently activated a windows 10 Home version on my new laptop. However I was shocked to discover that in my next bootup of computer, windows require another activation. Anyone knows how to reverse the upgrade? Thank you...
  7. Windows 10 20H2: Microsoft pushes out new patch to prepare PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 20H2: Microsoft pushes out new patch to prepare PCs: Ahead of the rollout of Windows 10 version 20H2 update, Microsoft has re-released KB4023057 to some devices in the production channel. KB4023057 is a reliability update that is re-issued regularly by Microsoft before the launch of a feature or major cumulative update. In...
  8. Microsoft uploads PC details without consent

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft uploads PC details without consent: I have a Microsoft account that I use with an Outlook 2016 client as well as in the Windows 10 Mail app but nothing else, i.e no Find My Device, no sharing of content across devices, no store purchases, no Cortana nor anything else. I sign in to my Windows 10 PC using a local...
  9. Windows 10 upgrade without consent, and NO EULA was issued

Windows 10 upgrade without consent, and NO EULA was issued: I use my computer mainly for use with HAM Radio and satellite tracking, there are some legacy programs that are barely runnable in Win7 and won't run at all on Win10. I have already tried a WIN10 PC and could not get my software to work correctly. While we were doing an...
  10. Without my consent.

Without my consent.: I scheduled the latest Windows Update for sometime next week. I woke up this morning with my computer in the middle of the update. I had to access some files for work but couldn't. Windows Update acted without my consent. I took the time to verify twice that the scheduled...