Windows 10: Microsoft reaffirms commitment to Windows Mobile: new flagships on way

Discus and support Microsoft reaffirms commitment to Windows Mobile: new flagships on way in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; sounds good news due a new phone in December/January, so will be nice to see what MS come out with *would like my current to upgrade to 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Microsoft reaffirms commitment to Windows Mobile: new flagships on way

sounds good news

due a new phone in December/January, so will be nice to see what MS come out with

*would like my current to upgrade to 10 officially before that, but doubt that will happen

paulsalter, Jul 13, 2015
  2. Winuser Win User

The only thing I don't like is that a few of my phone apps are not available for the Windows phone. My local news\weather alert app being one of them.

Winuser, Jul 13, 2015
  3. I quite like the MSN apps for news/weather

not sure how local the news one is, think for me it just gives the UK news, not my area, so could be better

paulsalter, Jul 13, 2015
  4. Tony K Win User

Microsoft reaffirms commitment to Windows Mobile: new flagships on way

Guessing where one looks? Here's 4 on the MS online store.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...Phone_ModC_ATT

Microsoft reaffirms commitment to Windows Mobile: new flagships on way [​IMG]

Tony K, Jul 13, 2015
  5. Tony K Win User
    I'm hoping MS releases an 8 or so inch phablet with docking station to use Continuum. One device is all I would need then.

Tony K, Jul 13, 2015
  6. Winuser Win User
    They are full price no contract only. The Lumia 635 must be a very basic phone to only be $49.00. I can get the Lumia 640 XL through AT&T for the same price. I think I'll wait for the new phones to be released.

Winuser, Jul 13, 2015
  7. Tony K Win User
    It'll be way more than $49. That's just the down stroke. It's pay now or pay more later via contract. All carriers will make more presenting the subsidy over the two-year period. It's basically a loan with interest, so one actually pays more when all is said and done. Much better off purchasing outright and choose a prepay plan.

Tony K, Jul 13, 2015
  8. Tony K Win User

Cortana gives local weather news alerts when configured to do so. Just had some last night due to Tstorms moving thru. Notification center gives all kinds of alerts.

Tony K, Jul 13, 2015
  9. Winuser Win User
    There is a Microsoft store in the mall near me. I might go there and check out their phones. From what I read I can just switch my sim card from my Galaxy III. When I was doing a online conversation with AT&T they said I would have to deactivate my Galaxy sim and activate the sim in the Lumia. I'm not sure how that would effect my contract that runs out in October. I can also check the AT&T store in the mall.

Winuser, Jul 13, 2015
  10. Tony K Win User
    You may have to buy out of the contract to do so. You may be money ahead to wait until October. By then a model you may want could be released.

Also, be aware that there's a difference between a carrier-branded phone and an unlocked phone. Both can be used with a prepay plan, though.

Tony K, Jul 13, 2015
  11. I hope with the release of Windows 10 we'll see a new wave of interest in Windows Phones. The only reason I held off with my latest is because of the App Store. With Continuum and one account across multiple devices, when my contract is up next year I would seriously consider a Windows Phone. It just needs quality apps and a less polluted store. Quality, not quantity Microsoft. I hope your vetting is going well.

thunderclap, Jul 13, 2015
  12. Winuser Win User
    That's why I want to go to the store. I can ask question in person face to face and not from someone reading ready made answers from a book. If I don't like the deal I can always say no and walk away.

Edit: (forgot to add) The guy I was chatting with online said there would be no additional charges except for the normal fees I would have to pay if I waited till the end of my contract. I'm not really sure that's true. That's one reason I would rather talk to someone at the store.

Winuser, Jul 13, 2015
  13. Tony K Win User

There's a good one > "Normal fee". How about no fees?!! $30 to $40 for "hookup charge". Ahhh, let's see...I already have and have had an account with you. Your going to charge me that much to enter data in a few boxes within the page of my account, hit the enter key, and charge me that much?!! Geez.

I'm no lover of any carrier of any kind, whether it be cellular, cable, satellite, or pigeons. I know companies need to turn a profit, but it's a ripoff for what we pay and get. You're streaming data, not sending a manned mission to the moon! They're like banks. Service charge for this > Fee for that. Then look at all the taxes on a monthly bill. On top of that they force those of us with a smart phone to buy a data plan. No! I don't need a data plan. I have data at home and living around the big city there's WiFi hotspots everywhere. May be fine for those that need it out in the boonies, but some don't. I'm lucky if I use 100 Mbs out of my 500 in my plan. Nice to have, but I could live without it.

Rant over. *Biggrin

Smart move to shop around. Good luck to you, Winuser, and please let us know how it goes.

Tony K, Jul 13, 2015
  14. Boozad Win User
    MS simply need to address the fact that still a lot of major corporations have no interest in developing apps for their phones. It's OK pushing flagship phones if people can't use them the way they use their iPhones or Android phones, if you want to be glued to Facemuck or play Angry Birds I dare say you'll be fine, but if you need to do your banking on the go or book travel arrangements or whatever you can't. I don't know how MS would even address that situation but until it changes I can't see MS breaking into the major player phone market.

Boozad, Jul 13, 2015
  15. Tony K Win User
    Once in awhile I've thought of this myself. I suggest MS approach these companies and offer to develop the apps free of charge. After all, they are the largest code-writing company in the world. A department like this would be pocket change to them, especially that they introduced the APIs.

A few times I've emailed my bank and a few other companies questioning the lack of a Windows app. Here's one of recent to and from a gas station chain I frequent that has a rewards card campaign going on. After awhile I get blunt with them and was kind of yanking her chain here. *Biggrin

The emails are, of course, in reverse here.

Tony K, Jul 13, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft reaffirms commitment to Windows Mobile: new flagships on way - Similar Threads - Microsoft reaffirms commitment

2. Adding 2007 Microsoft Office to new HP Flagship 2023 laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding 2007 Microsoft Office to new HP Flagship 2023 laptop: The laptop is HP Flagship purchased this summer. I cannot install my personal Microsoft Office 2007. I've installed it on all of my laptops since 2007. HP tells me it is a third party product. I don't understand. It is MS. If I go out of Windows S, will it accept my KEY...
  3. Adding 2007 Microsoft Office to new HP Flagship 2023 laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding 2007 Microsoft Office to new HP Flagship 2023 laptop: The laptop is HP Flagship purchased this summer. I cannot install my personal Microsoft Office 2007. I've installed it on all of my laptops since 2007. HP tells me it is a third party product. I don't understand. It is MS. If I go out of Windows S, will it accept my KEY...
  4. Committing Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Committing Windows Updates: Hi, I am having some issues with users not committing their Windows Updates in a timely fashion. I tried looking into myself but was not finding anything on best practices for committing Windows Updates ie. how long is it recommend to wait to commit the updates after...
  5. Phil Spencer talks Microsoft's new studios and commitment to PC gaming

in Windows 10 News
    Phil Spencer talks Microsoft's new studios and commitment to PC gaming: Microsoft is on a video game spending spree. In the past year it’s bought six studios, including Forza Horizon studio Playground Games and Hellblade developer Ninja Theory, and founded a new one. For PC gamers, the two most striking acquisitions are Obsidian and inXile. Both...
  6. Qualcomm Announces New Flagship Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform

in Windows 10 News
    Qualcomm Announces New Flagship Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform: 6pdjT7xsZe8 lf3dsBCFp5Y During the second day of the annual Snapdragon Technology Summit, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc., a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ:QCOM), unveiled the newest generation in the 8 Mobile Platform Series, the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 855 Mobile...
  7. Draft of Microsoft Security Servicing Commitments for Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Draft of Microsoft Security Servicing Commitments for Windows: Microsoft’s commitment to protecting customers from vulnerabilities in our products, services, and devices includes providing security updates that address these vulnerabilities when they are discovered. We understand that researchers have wanted better clarity around the...
  8. New Microsoft flagship phone spotted on GFXBench

in Windows 10 News
    New Microsoft flagship phone spotted on GFXBench: A new Microsoft flagship phone has shown up in GFXBench. The device is code named RM-1162. The mysterious device sports a Snapdragon 820 chipset and a 5.5" 1440p display, making it a reasonable choice as a successor to the Microsoft Lumia 950 XL. Have a look at the report:...
  9. Microsoft Says It’s Fully Committed to Keeping Windows 10 Mobile Alive

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Says It’s Fully Committed to Keeping Windows 10 Mobile Alive: Microsoft takes another step out of cellphones as Nokia plots return Ten months after writing down much of its disastrous acquisition of Nokia’s handset business, Microsoft took another step to unwind the deal. Microsoft on Wednesday agreed to unload its low-end...
  10. Microsoft is committed to the Surface lineup.

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is committed to the Surface lineup.: Important news following the false rumor about the fate of Surface. Contrary to some click-bait headlines, SP3 has garnered some attention and is doing alright I think. Nadella: Microsoft committed to Surface line - Neowin It's really amazing to see these...