Windows 10: Microsoft Rebrand Unicode to UTF-16 LE in NotePad Windows 10 2004

Discus and support Microsoft Rebrand Unicode to UTF-16 LE in NotePad Windows 10 2004 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So basically like the title says Microsoft managed to remove the Unicode (Sometimes Unicode 1200) encoding format found in the Save As dialog of it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by nIGHTmAYOR, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Microsoft Rebrand Unicode to UTF-16 LE in NotePad Windows 10 2004

So basically like the title says Microsoft managed to remove the Unicode (Sometimes Unicode 1200) encoding format found in the Save As dialog of it's NotePad and introduced several other encoding formats which weren't present before .

So if you ever wonder what happened to Unicode , its simple , it was just re-branded UTF-16 LE along the list .

So why is this tip important ? Probably not to you but for the majority of consumers of offline Subtitles files , Unicode is found to be the widely acceptable format of choice as it works on almost all LCD TVs , Smart or Dumb , Software Players , IPTV Boxes , Smart Boxes and Satellite Receivers with USB Aux support .

Yet then comes in line UTF-8 which works fine on some of the upper devices but fail on others and display machine code like characters .

Usually offline Subtitles are uploaded to hosting websites in raw ANSI format probably out of laziness or poor understanding from the uploader to the concept of encoding , where people had to use NotePad to change encoding to Unicode to play .

Now with its absence foreign communities started questioning the use of 3rd party softwares and came out candidates as CP Converter etc. where the irony is NotePad is still capable of doing the job only the format had been re-branded to UTF-16 LE

Cheers
    *Cool

:)

nIGHTmAYOR, Jun 19, 2020

2. Windows 10 Character Map and Notepad

Well I found the answer to my question. I should have thought through this a little longer.

Notepad is native in ANSI mode.
    However Wordpad can work in UTF-8 mode.
    I found steps to make Notepad usable in UTF-8 mode but there are a lot of steps and once again there has to be a registry hack to make it work.
    Now how do I make Workpad be listed in the most used application through the Start Menu?

1ThursdayJC, Jun 19, 2020
  3. PPTL Win User
    Unicode in Notepad

Thanks Greg but the link simply tells me what I already know.

Let me elaborate: To migrate my data files from an old Win-7 PC, I bought a brand new hard disk and mounted it into this old PC. Then I copied all the data files into this new disk. I randomly checked the data files and they all looked okay, including
    those UNICODE text files. They were displayed perfectly.

So I took this new disk and mounted it on my new PC (Win-10). When I opened those .txt files with UNICODE, they became garbage. I tried to do a SAVE AS with UTF-8 but it doesn't help. These files are actually HTML files. So I opened one of them which
    I hadn't opened with Notepad; it showed up in my browser correctly. I did a VIEW PAGE SOURCE and it also looked good.

It just doesn't show up correctly in Notepad. Neither can I do a SAVE AS with UTR-8. Because if I do so, it spoiled the file and it would not show up on the browser correctly any more.

I did one more thing: I even took out the hard disk (which is the source of my data files) from the old PC and connected it to the new PC. The files also displayed incorrectly in Notepad. But when I put the disk back to my old PC, they all looked alright.

So now I have a bunch of HTML files which display alright but cannot be edited with Notepad.

4. Microsoft Rebrand Unicode to UTF-16 LE in NotePad Windows 10 2004

remove unicode element from notepad text

Hello Doron1983,

I will need more information about your concern about saving your document. Please verify the following:

• Can you tell me the error message you're getting when saving the document?
    • Is the issue isolated to a single document?
    • Are you signed in as the administrator when you encountered the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, I suggest launching Notepad with administrative privileges.

1. Click the Start button and type Notepad.
    2. Right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
    3. If prompted, click Yes or enter the administrator password.
    4. Open the document and save it by clicking File > Save with administrator access.

We also need to make sure that the file is saved in Unicode format, not the default one,
    ANSI.

Microsoft Rebrand Unicode to UTF-16 LE in NotePad Windows 10 2004 b9023823-aa15-41e8-a832-dd46b2e70700?upload=true.png

I'll be waiting for your reply.

Devlin Sco, Jun 19, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft Rebrand Unicode to UTF-16 LE in NotePad Windows 10 2004

1. Microsoft Rebrand Unicode to UTF-16 LE in NotePad Windows 10 2004 - Similar Threads - Microsoft Rebrand Unicode

2. Will the "Unicode UTF-8" Region Setting Crash Windows 10/11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will the "Unicode UTF-8" Region Setting Crash Windows 10/11?: I have the "Unicode UTF-8" region setting. Will the "Unicode UTF-8" region setting crash Windows 10/11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-the-unicode-utf-8-region-setting-crash/8ff76ab7-f1ab-406a-9d5b-e0dc5968210b
  3. Will the "Unicode UTF-8" Region Setting Crash Windows 10/11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will the "Unicode UTF-8" Region Setting Crash Windows 10/11?: I have the "Unicode UTF-8" region setting. Will the "Unicode UTF-8" region setting crash Windows 10/11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-the-unicode-utf-8-region-setting-crash/8ff76ab7-f1ab-406a-9d5b-e0dc5968210b
  4. Will the "Unicode UTF-8" Region Setting Crash Windows 10/11?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Unicode Symbols/ Greek Letters in Filename -UTF-8 Language settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unicode Symbols/ Greek Letters in Filename -UTF-8 Language settings: Hi Microsoft community,I'm working on a project to integrate some international users Greek into our existing services. I'm looking for more information/suggestions about the "Use UTF-8 for worldwide language support." option within Windows 10.This option is found under...
  6. notepad unicode

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    notepad unicode: When I click on encoding when I save as a thing in notepad unicode does not show up and im very confused https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notepad-unicode/53c9cd4a-539a-4c87-abdb-7e0601c95e5f
  7. Microsoft to rebrand apps for Windows 10 lightweight OS

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to rebrand apps for Windows 10 lightweight OS: Windows 10X appears to be changing multiple features and apps for the better, making several UI components modern to differentiate itself from the current Windows 10. For example, Windows 10X removes Cortana during the first-run experience, which means you’ll get a faster...
  8. Notepad ANSI/UTF-8

Notepad ANSI/UTF-8: I saved my file as .txt ansi and it changed the format to .txt UTF-8. I tried on differnet computers as well, I got the same result. Any idea how to resolve this ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notepad-ansiutf-8/929f9241-b392-487b-afbb-b0f52f493346
  9. Unicode UTF-8 to support the language worldwide Create BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unicode UTF-8 to support the language worldwide Create BSOD: Hello, I have tried to use the Bêta function "use Unicode UTF-8 to support the language worldwide" because i have chinese and japanese software on the computer that not working proprelly if i dont set non unicode to Japan or chinese. Changing to this causing BSOD to my...
  10. Unicode in Notepad

Unicode in Notepad: I copy a bunch of .txt files saved with UTF-8 type from my old computer (Win7) to a new one (Win10). When I open these .txt files, they all become garbage. Even after I SAVE AS with UTF-8, they still show garbage. How do I recover them?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft notepad