Windows 10: Microsoft releases mysterious updates for Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft releases mysterious updates for Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released -- better re-released -- the updates KB4458469 and KB4457136 on September 26, 2018 for Windows 10 version 1709 and Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 8, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft releases mysterious updates for Windows 10

Microsoft released -- better re-released -- the updates KB4458469 and KB4457136 on September 26, 2018 for Windows 10 version 1709 and Windows 10 version 1803.

What makes the re-release rather problematic is that Microsoft provides virtually no explanation as to why the updates had to be re-released.

If you check the note at the top of the support pages, you get the following for Windows 10 version 1709:

This update has been re-released because of a missing solution. If you installed build 16299.697, please install this newer version of OS build 16299.699.

The note includes the same wording for Windows 10 version 1809. Only the build numbers are different:

This update has been re-released because of a missing solution. If you installed build 17134.319, please install this newer version of OS build 17134.320.

Microsoft releases mysterious updates for Windows 10 missing-solution.png

The company does not provide any detail on what the missing solutions are. While it seems likely that they are identical for version 1709 and 1803, it is entirely unclear what the re-released updates add or change when installed.

Administrators and users don't know therefore whether they need the updates. It could be an important component that is missing, or something that does not affect lots of configurations.

The updates KB4458469 and KB4457136 were released on September 21, 2018 initially. Microsoft released KB4457141 and KB4457127 on the same day; a quick check revealed that these two updates were not re-released by Microsoft.

Notes were not added and the release date is still September 20, 2018. Whether the two updates will be re-released as well in the coming days or if these two updates were not affected by the "missing solution" is unknown.

I talked about Microsoft's inability to communicate clearly with its customer base. Especially home users and small businesses are often left in the dark when it comes to the release of updates for Windows and other changes. One fairly common occurrence in this regard is that some Support pages get published after the release of updates.

Users and administrators don't know what updates do when they can't access support pages that provide details. It gets worse for non-English admins and users as Microsoft sometimes updates the English Support articles only. That's why I recommend to always read the English support article and not the non-English one that may also be available.

As far as the mysterious "missing solution" is concerned: my bet is on a file or files that Microsoft forgot to include in the update. Whether that is really the case remains to be seen.

Now You: What is your take on the "missing solution"?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft releases mysterious updates for Windows 10 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 8, 2018
  2. desennium Win User

Microsoft Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Available Today

Microsoft released Windows 10, code named "Threshold 1," a little over two years ago. As of May of this year, there were approximately 500 million Windows 10 devices worldwide. Originally, Microsoft predicted that Windows 10 would be installed on 1 billion devices by mid-2018. When released, Windows 10 gained huge adoption from those running Windows 7 from the "free-upgrade program" which lasted one year.

Since then however, installations have slowly declined and in July of last year, Microsoft admitted that they would miss their projected goal of 1 billion devices. Since its release, Windows 10 has had three major update releases with "Threshold 2," in 2015, "Anniversary Update," in 2016, "Creators Update" in April of this year and today marks the release of Microsoft's fourth major feature update to its operating system, dubbed "Fall Creators Update," version 1709.

Today's update brings about many new features including:
    • OneDrive On demand (formerly known as OneDrive Placeholders introduced in WIndows 8.1) a way to keep track of your files stored on OneDrive from any of your devices without having to store them locally.
    • 'My People' Hub Integration makes it easier to stay in touch with people right from the taskbar
    • Story Remix gives you to the tools and the power to create content from your photos and videos to make memorable stories
    • Windows Mixed Reality brings a new generation of augmented reality where the real world meets the digital one.
    • Fluent Design System is Microsoft's new design that will take place over the next few years with each feature update. Microsoft intends to make all products and devices one user interface and it begins with the Fall Creators Update.

Furthermore, Microsoft has made changes and brings privacy enhancements with today's update. The Fall Creators Update gives users more control of what information is being collected. Users will be greeted with the Privacy Statement on the setup process to get an idea of what information that entails. Microsoft is also adding two game anti-cheating systems, called TruePlay and Game Monitor, to address the problem of cheating similarly to what VAC (Valve Anti-Cheating) does for Steam.

The Fall Creators Update is available today but will be rolled out in stages as usual. Newer devices most compatible with Windows 10 will receive the update first. The rollout will take several months before everyone is updated. However, if you don't see today's update you can use the Update Assistant Tool to manually update now, here.

Source: Microsoft

desennium, Nov 8, 2018
  3. malware Win User
    Microsoft Releases New Update for Windows Vista

Microsoft yesterday released a new hotfix, KB941649, which improves the compatibility, reliability, and stability of Windows Vista. This update includes the following improvements:
    • It extends the battery life for mobile devices.
    • It improves the stability of portable computers and of desktop computers that use an uninterruptable power supply (UPS).
    • It improves the reliability of Windows Vista when you open the menu of a startup application.
    • It improves the stability of Internet Explorer when you open a Web page.
    • It improves the stability of wireless network services.
    • It shortens the startup time of Windows Vista by using a better timing structure.
    • It shortens the recovery time after Windows Vista experiences a period of inactivity.
    • It shortens the recovery time when you try to exit the Photos screen saver.
    • It improves the stability of Windows PowerShell.
    DOWNLOAD

Source: Microsoft

malware, Nov 8, 2018
  4. Microsoft releases mysterious updates for Windows 10

Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

it would've been great if microsoft added HEVC decoders, LAV filters along with other codecs with Windows 10, and developing WMP to be better than VLC, KMPlayer and such sorts of media players.

Nevertheless, this is good step for microsoft, by far.

Analog_Interface, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft releases mysterious updates for Windows 10

1. Microsoft releases mysterious updates for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft releases mysterious

2. Windows 10 App Update mystery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 App Update mystery: I was checking my reliability history and it showed 3 successfull updates for today. Two of them appear to be for apps that I have never downloaded to my laptop. These are:9NCBCSZSJRSB-SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic9NXQXXLFST89-Disney.37853FC22B2CECould anyone shed light on this for...
  3. Windows 10 App Update mystery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 App Update mystery: I was checking my reliability history and it showed 3 successfull updates for today. Two of them appear to be for apps that I have never downloaded to my laptop. These are:9NCBCSZSJRSB-SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic9NXQXXLFST89-Disney.37853FC22B2CECould anyone shed light on this for...
  4. Windows 10 App Update mystery

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows 10 App Update mystery: I was checking my reliability history and it showed 3 apps successfully updated today. Two of them are apps that I have never downloaded to my laptop. These are:9NCBCSZSJRSB-SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic9NXQXXLFST89-Disney.37853FC22B2CECould anyone shed light on this for me? The...
  5. Microsoft won’t release new Windows 10 optional updates

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft won’t release new Windows 10 optional updates: Microsoft is pausing optional cumulative updates (non-security patches) for Windows 10 due to a recent medical outbreak in Asia, Europe and other parts of the world. Most people have to deal with Windows 10 updates once every month and then typically as part of the...
  6. Microsoft Security Update Release

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Security Update Release: Since mid Dec 2019 I've received from Microsoft the above email notices about what is in the release. Suddenly in mid Dec '19, I've not received any. On the bottom of the old emails, there is a link TO STOP receiving but nothing where I can START receiving. I clicked on link...
  7. Did Microsoft release another Windows 10 update by mistake?

in Windows 10 News
    Did Microsoft release another Windows 10 update by mistake?: Back in October 2019, Microsoft released an update intended for Autopilot-powered devices to its entire userbase; the company pulled the update soon thereafter. It appears that Microsoft made a similar mistake in December 2019 when it pushed yet another update designed for...
  8. Microsoft Account Mystery

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Account Mystery: My Windows 10 desktop used to be on my Microsoft account. When version 1803 came out, I wiped the hard drive performing a clean install and I set up the PC using a local account, not the MS account. Since that time, I have not signed into Bing (my homepage on Edge) or any MS...
  9. Mystery Update.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Mystery Update.: Hello, can someone please advise what this update is, searching Google produces no results? Thank you, . : see attachment [img] 91954
  10. Mysterious Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Mysterious Update: Hello. A few hours ago, when I shut off my pc, I had the screen "Preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer." And it took about 20 mins. I thought it was an update, but Update Chronology says last update was on 15 March, so 2 days ago.What happened? 79589