Windows 10: Microsoft releases new license terms for Windows 10: Biggest surprise?

Discus and support Microsoft releases new license terms for Windows 10: Biggest surprise? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; You can put your tinfoil hats away now. Two weeks ahead of the global launch of Windows 10, Microsoft has finalized the terms of its license... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Jul 14, 2015.

1. labeeman Win User

Microsoft releases new license terms for Windows 10: Biggest surprise?

Source

:)

labeeman, Jul 14, 2015
  2. James Horvath, Jul 14, 2015
  3. JimWynne Win User
    Will we have to pay for updates with Windows 10?

According to Ed Bott
    (a normally reliable source) on ZDNet this morning, the new Windows 10 EULA(s) have no surprises and only a few innocuous changes in wording. There is no indication of paid subscriptions in the offing.

JimWynne, Jul 14, 2015
  4. Winuser Win User

*Sad I'm disappointed!................. j/k *Biggrin I'm actually glad that MS is finally letting us know this information.

Winuser, Jul 14, 2015
  5. groze Win User
    That is a little confusing though. I thought Microsoft Office was more geared to business then the home user. I could see some issues with that.

groze, Jul 15, 2015
  6. Wynona Win User
    Groze, those are the three mobile apps that come with Windows 10, not the Office Desktop Suite.

There have always been several versions of Office, which include Student, Standard, Professional, Professional Plus are just some of the different versions that have been available down through the years. Recently, Student and Standard have been combined to become Home and Student.

Office 365 2016 for non-business use includes Home, Personal and Home and Student. There are three versions for business use which include Business Essentials, Business and Business Premium.

Wynona, Jul 15, 2015
  7. Geneo Win User
    Well at least that puts to rest the question of whether Windows 10 license will be transferable to another device if upgrading from a retail version o 7 or 8.

Geneo, Jul 15, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

Yeah, I read the license carefully when upgrading, and it puts a number of things to bed.

1) If you upgrade a retail copy of Windows 7/8.x it remains a retail license, and is transferable.

2) You have full downgrade rights, and you are free to go back to the original version you bough.

3) They've done away with all the "OEM" and what not terms, and now they just say "If your software was pre-installed on the device" or "If you acquired the software from a retailer" (and they make it clear that if you get it from Microsoft directly, such as with MSDN or TechNet, Microsoft is considered the retailer).

4) As expected, you can't dual boot the same license with different versions (or run a virtual machine with the same license). If you are going to dual boot, you legally need 2 separate licenses.

Mystere, Jul 15, 2015
  9. Geneo Win User
    I am happy with these terms. No surprises!

Geneo, Jul 15, 2015
  10. besb Win User
    I follow the spirit of the terms but have a little difficulty with 4.
    Take the following scenario:-
    Assume windows 7 as starting point.
    Clone 7 drive - upgrade to 10.
    Install both 7 and 10 drives with dual boot with bios on the same machine.
    Statement 2 says I am free to return to 7 therefore I boot 7
    next time I boot 10 for file transfer etc.
    I can see how they can check for standard dual boot systems with 2 partitions /vm but the way I have described depends on the user following the spirit of the licence.
    For this reason should you wish to keep 7 use an insider version of 10
    Obviously you are not allowed to use the clone or its product key as a basis for upgrading a second system.

11. groze Win User
    So am I going to have an issue with my system?

This is all on one hard drive

Partition Primary 1 Windows 7 oem changed to windows 7 retail key (so I wouldn't have to reinstall it)
    Partition Primary 2 Windows 7 oem upgraded to windows 10 preview which will become windows 10 release.
    Partition Logical 5 Xubuntu
    Partition Logical 6 Linux Swap

groze, Jul 15, 2015
  12. Berton Win User
    I take #2 in that list ["2) You have full downgrade rights, and you are free to go back to the original version you bough."} as meaning going back to Win7 w/SP1 or Win8.1 wiping out Win10 in the process, not the meaning of the ability to dual-boot. Two Operating Systems on the same hardware requires 2 licenses.

Berton, Jul 15, 2015
  13. Mystere Win User

Correct. Legally speaking, if you are abiding by the license. Technically, it will likely work.

Mystere, Jul 15, 2015
  14. waltc Win User
    When dual-booting, the situation is that you're only using one license at a time--so if you boot into Win7 you aren't running Win10; if you boot into Win10 you aren't running Win7, etc. I see that as similar to the retail licensing for Windows 7/8--buy the retail license you get the 32-bit & 64-bit versions, both, but only one at a time is licensed for use. Both versions are licensed, but may not be run concurrently. Not really sure how the authorization servers might deal with that, though...*Wink

At any rate, unless you're having some kind of Win10 driver-related problems, I see no reason it cannot immediately become your primary OS, rendering dual-booting just an unnecessary headache with no advantages that I can think of. Even if you start out dual-booting you'll soon find yourself spending all of your time on Win10, anyway--and then it's just a simple matter of bypassing the bootmenu and booting straight into Win10 and making use of that partition disk space...A good use for it is as a backup for your Win10 partition...That's what I did when I decided Win10 was stable enough, a few builds back...

waltc, Jul 15, 2015
  15. Wynona Win User
    Sounds good to me Groze, as long as you can keep your head on straight with all those boot options. *Smile

Wynona, Jul 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft releases new license terms for Windows 10: Biggest surprise? - Similar Threads - Microsoft releases license

2. New Server + new Hyper-v VM - Windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Server + new Hyper-v VM - Windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms: Hi every one, We just bought a new Lenovo server and Windows 2022 Standard edition.We manage to install the OS and Hyper-v on the phisical server but, when we try to add a VM we get the error above even if we use the original DVD. What are we doing wrong?TIA...
  3. New Server + new Hyper-v VM - Windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Server + new Hyper-v VM - Windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms: Hi every one, We just bought a new Lenovo server and Windows 2022 Standard edition.We manage to install the OS and Hyper-v on the phisical server but, when we try to add a VM we get the error above even if we use the original DVD. What are we doing wrong?TIA...
  4. Question about Windows License Terms

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Windows License Terms: What does Microsoft mean by saying in the Microsoft software license terms, installation and use rights, license: "Updating or upgrading from non-genuine software with software from Microsoft or authorized sources does not make your original version or the updated/upgraded...
  5. Microsoft surprise

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft surprise: I had an old laptop that came with Vista, got upgraded to 7 and then 10, all Home versions. A friend who works in IT gave me a fully legal and unused 8.1 Pro retail key he had no need for. It upgraded the old laptop to Windows 10 Pro. But that antique got so slow that it...
  6. "Microsoft cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms...."

"Microsoft cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms....": Hi. Everything is explained. I can not find it via CMD, Registry Editor nor notepad batch script. I want to reinstall it, but apparently I can t do that neither even because I do not have a key. I select an option "I don t have a key" and move forward but an error...
  7. Windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms

in Windows 10 News
    Windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 and Windows Server operating systems have a number of common system files. These files vary from the ones supporting the installation, boot and what not in the operating systems. But the corruption of some files may cause a [...] This post Windows...
  8. License Term Language

License Term Language: Greeting all, I am building the Windows 10 version 1809. I changed %WINDIR%\System32\Oobe\Info\Oobe.xml to get the license.rfm file from a specific folder. However, after building the windows we notice is take the license file from...
  9. License Term Language

License Term Language: Hi all, I am installing Windows 10 2019.3 and I choose the Spanish language (can be any other different from English). However the Term License continue showing in English. How can I solve this? Thank you...
  10. win 10 microsoft software license terms

win 10 microsoft software license terms: So I updated my laptop to 10.0.10586 N/A Build 10586 now the Microsoft software license terms shows Code: Your use of this software is subject to the terms and conditions of the license agreement by which you acquired this software. If you are a volume license customer,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. booting to oobe windows error cannot find the microsoft software license terms