Windows 10: Microsoft releases PowerShell script to address Windows Bitlocker vulnerability

Discus and support Microsoft releases PowerShell script to address Windows Bitlocker vulnerability in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft has released a PowerShell script for Windows 10 and 11 devices to address a BitLocker security feature bypass vulnerability. Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 17, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft releases PowerShell script to address Windows Bitlocker vulnerability

Microsoft has released a PowerShell script for Windows 10 and 11 devices to address a BitLocker security feature bypass vulnerability.

Microsoft confirmed the issue on November 8, 2022. It is tracked as CVE-2022-41099. Successful exploitation of the issue allows attackers to bypass BitLocker Device Encryption protections on the system storage device, according to Microsoft's description. Physical access to the device is required to exploit the vulnerability and access the encrypted data.

Microsoft released a security update for the issue, but system administrators had to install it to the Windows Recovery Environment manually up until now.

Tip: Microsoft released security updates for all supported versions of Windows this week.

PowerShell scripts address the BitLocker bypass

Microsoft releases PowerShell script to address Windows Bitlocker vulnerability microsoft-bitlocker-vulnerability-fix.png

Microsoft's newly released PowerShell scripts aims to automate the updating process. All system administrators need to do is run the PowerShell script on Windows 10 or 11 devices to patch the Windows Recovery Environment and protect it against potential exploits of the security issue.

Two PowerShell scripts are available. Both serve the same purpose, but the target Windows versions are different. PatchWinREScript_2004plus.ps1 is the recommended script. It is compatible with Windows 10 version 2004 and later versions, which includes any Windows 11 version.

Microsoft notes that the script is more robust than the other, and that administrators may want to run it, provided that the device that needs fixing runs a supported version of Windows.

Older Windows 10 devices, those running Windows 10 version 1909 or earlier, need a different script. Microsoft notes that the second script should execute on more recent versions of Windows 10 and 11 as well.

Only the source codes of both scripts are displayed on the Microsoft support website. Users need to copy the entire script and paste it into a plain text file on the device. The file needs to be renamed from .txt to .ps1, to make it a PowerShell script.

The script performs the following steps to address the issue:

1. It mounts the existing WinRE image (WINRE.WIM).
    2. The image is updated with the Safe OS Dynamic Update package from the Windows Update Catalog. This update needs to be downloaded manually for the operating system and specified using the packagePath parameter.
    3. The WinRE image is unmounted.
    4. It reconfigures the BitLocker TPM protector if present.

System administrators may run the script with two parameters:

workDir -- <Optional> Specifies the scratch space used to patch WinRE. If not specified, the script will use the default temp folder for the device.

packagePath -- <Required> Specifies the path and name of the OS-version-specific and processor architecture-specific Safe OS Dynamic update package to be used to update the WinRE image.

Closing Words

The BitLocker vulnerability requires local access to the Windows PC to exploit the issue. While that makes it less of a threat for many users, it may still be a good idea to run the PowerShell script to protect the device against attacks.

It is recommended to create a system backup before running the script. If things go wrong, it can be used to restore the previous state of the system.

Now You: do you use BitLocker? (via Neowin)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft releases PowerShell script to address Windows Bitlocker vulnerability appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 17, 2023
  2. Yukikaze Win User

WPA2 Vulnerability Found

A small update with regards to the Microsoft fix. The fix itself is sufficient to solve the issue on Windows, even if your WiFi device has no driver update, with one caveat:

Does this security update fully address these vulnerabilities on Microsoft Platforms, or do I need to perform any additional steps to be fully protected?
    The provided security updates address the reported vulnerabilities; however, when affected Windows based systems enter a connected standby mode in low power situations, the vulnerable functionality may be offloaded to installed Wi-Fi hardware. To fully address potential vulnerabilities, you are also encouraged to contact your Wi-Fi hardware vendor to obtain updated device drivers. For a listing of affected vendors with links to their documentation, review the ICASI Multi-Vendor Vulnerability Disclosure statement here: ICASI integrates into FIRST PSIRT SIG bolstering the incident response and security team industry

Source: Security Update Guide - Microsoft Security Response Center

Yukikaze, Mar 17, 2023
  3. Brink Win User
    PowerShell 7.3.0 has been released

Source: Release v7.3.0 Release of PowerShell . PowerShell/PowerShell . GitHub

Microsoft Store: https://apps.microsoft.com/store/det...l/9MZ1SNWT0N5D

Brink, Mar 17, 2023
  4. chaimhaas Win User

Skype Cross-zone Scripting Vulnerability Found

Skype Security Blog

Skype provides a full description on its Security Blog of the vulnerability and the steps that have been taken to address the problem so it doesn't affect users

chaimhaas, Mar 17, 2023
Thema:

1. Microsoft releases PowerShell script to address Windows Bitlocker vulnerability - Similar Threads - Microsoft releases PowerShell

2. windows powershell script not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows powershell script not working.: Hallo!Problem: I wan´t to use a script to turn on autohide taskbar in desktop mode.if I put in: " powershell -command "&{$p='HKCU:SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects3';$v=Get-ItemProperty -Path $p.Settings;$v[8]=3;&Set-ItemProperty -Path $p -Name...
  3. windows powershell script not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows powershell script not working.: Hallo!Problem: I wan´t to use a script to turn on autohide taskbar in desktop mode.if I put in: " powershell -command "&{$p='HKCU:SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects3';$v=Get-ItemProperty -Path $p.Settings;$v[8]=3;&Set-ItemProperty -Path $p -Name...
  4. windows powershell script not working.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. PowerShell script

in Windows 10 Support
    PowerShell script: The code below tests a series of IPs in a txt file.The result is as follows and is written in a txt file. 19.191.12.161 - online 19.191.12.162 - offline 19.191.12.163 - offline 19.191.12.164 - offline 19.191.12.165 - offline also see the scrennshot Code: $Output= @()$GetIP =...
  6. powershell scripts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    powershell scripts: Hi, I have azure. Someone is somehow installing powershell scripts onto my computer that allows them to host my PC through P2P and UDP connections, well I think so anyway. I have only just found powershell script entry changes in my registry by accident. These criminals...
  7. powershell script

in Windows 10 Customization
    powershell script: looking for a script to monitor for a folder, if there is a file in that folder send it as an email, once the email is sent out, confirm and then move the files to an archive folder. monitor c:\test\*.pdf No files, do not send email. Yes Files, send an email to someone at...
  8. Powershell Script on Shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Powershell Script on Shutdown: Hi all, I try to run a Powershell Script (*.ps1) when i shut down my PC. I created the script and it is working fine when i run it. However if i want to run it on a regular Shutdown it seems like it does not start or is not finished, before Windows is killing every running...
  9. A Powershell Script for HandBrake

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A Powershell Script for HandBrake: Here's the thing. My system is an age-old i3-530 overclocked to 3.5GHz coupled with GTX 1050 2GB. I have around 1.5TB of tutorial videos that I have to encode due to dearth in HDD space. I want to encode the videos while keeping the folder and subfolder structure intact....
  10. PowerShell Scripting - The Basics

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    PowerShell Scripting - The Basics: How to: PowerShell Scripting - The Basics [img] Information A PowerShell script is a collection of commands and cmdlets to be run in logical order, previous lines in script determining values and variables in command lines thereafter. The principle is the same than in...