Windows 10: Microsoft releases roadmap for PDF reader in Microsoft Edge

Discus and support Microsoft releases roadmap for PDF reader in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Over the course of last year, we worked hard on building a powerful PDF reader that fulfills the needs of compatibility, reliability and security for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Brink Win User

Microsoft releases roadmap for PDF reader in Microsoft Edge

Source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...ge/m-p/1467667

Latest Microsoft Edge released for Windows

:)

Brink, Jun 16, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Microsoft Edge vs Adobe Reader

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Open Control panel.

• Select Default Programs.

• Click on Adobe Reader and set that application as Default.
    If the issue persist follow the steps below.

• Open Default Program.

• Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

• Select any pdf file Extension.

• Click on Change program.

• Select Adobe Reader.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Jun 16, 2020
  3. winxp Win User
    Microsoft Edge will not open PDF files from a websites

Microsoft Edge will not open PDF files from a forum that has a thread with a pdf file attached.

It wants me to save the pdf to my HD instead.

I'm using Adobe Reader and this is the first I have noticed this change.
    Edge Version 80.361.62 64bit

The Extension App shows pdf is linked to Adobe Reader.

Any suggestions

winxp, Jun 16, 2020
  4. Microsoft releases roadmap for PDF reader in Microsoft Edge

Bug report in Microsoft Edge PDF Reader

Yes, thank you, 93tid, for your suggestion to use the Feedback Hub.

It just so happens that I had used the Feedback Hub prior to starting this question "Bug report in Microsoft Edge PDF Reader". I had posted in the Feedback Hub, perhaps a week or so before I got what appears to be a bug in Microsoft Edge, to complain
    that the default reader is stuck on MS Edge, and that it seems to me that there should be, according to the Windows philosophy of operating systems, a way to change the default to something else, and to see if there might be a way to change the default pdf
    reader from MS Edge to some dedicated PDF reader. By dedicated PDF readers, I mean such readers one finds available for download and install through the Microsoft Store, such as Adobe's reader or Foxit or countless others. I have tried a handful, and I tend
    to use Adobe's most often followed by Foxit, and may use Foxit more because it allows more complete browsing to get to my pdf documents spread throughout my SD card, not just in my Documents folder.

In other words, I noticed that Microsoft Edge had become the default reader . . . Wait, to be fair, I should not claim that Edge became the default reader, since I can't remember for sure if Adobe reader was my default, and if so, when, perhaps by February
    5th, Edge had become the default, being set that way by an automatic operating system update. I don't recall before such a system update, it had worked well with other pdf readers, as in, allowing alternate default pdf readers, and if there was another default
    reader set to open my pdf documents. I tend to believe that in earlier Windows phone operating systems it would allow me to choose which pdf reader to use, upon tapping on a pdf document. I may experiment with my older Windows phones with 8.1 to see how they
    handled the alternative pdf readers, if such versions of Windows phone allowed a way to open PDFs with the installed readers, or if they allowed particular readers to be set as default.

For now I can read pdf files by first opening the reader of my choice and then browsing from within it to open the document. I was hoping that there was a way, that I had no knowledge of, somewhere hidden in the maze of the confusing configuration system
    and related menus, perhaps, that, there was a "right click" on top of the pdf document, or that there would appear the three dots in the lower left corner somewhere that might lead me to configure the system to open pdf files in another way in my Windows
    phones. And so I reported that hope and missing functionality in the Feedback Hub, so it's not quite bug but more as a hope and a wish that they would have it available and inform me of how to set it, or that, if they didn't have such a function available,
    that they might consider [re-]introducing such a useful feature.

I am giving up hope and I am suspecting that they won't be introducing such functionality, perhaps would have only been available in a Powershell version of Windows 10 for mobile phones, because then they would have to allow that functionality for other
    document types such as pictures, videos, and Word docs. And Microsoft wants us to only use their products, no wonder no developer wants to develop for the platform. The only good app that was developed for the platform was MyTube! because Microsoft didn't
    or couldn't mess with YouTube. Still when I am given a link to a YouTube video, it only opens it in Microsoft Edge.

Basically, I reported in the Feedback Hub [not sure the date, I'm guessing around February 5th of 2018] and was trying to explain that according to my logic of how things normally work in the Desktop version of Windows 10 [my fault for assuming that the
    mobile version of Windows 10 should be just as functional as the desktop version], where when I right click [in the case of the mobile version it would be a hold for a second] on a PDF, the option "Open With . . .", or something like that, [amongst all the
    other options, such as delete, copy, move to, share, etc ] for the selected PDF doc no matter where in the directories I am at, and that action would bring up a list of PDF readers already installed. And then I would be able to open my PDF with that PDF reader,
    be it Adobe's or Foxit. And so I was trying, perhaps failed, to get across to whomever reads my complaint/anguish that, it seems logical that also in the mobile version of Windows 10, I should be able to open and read any PDF by any alternative way. And
    I proclaimed this as a serious defect in the mobile version of the operating system, making it handicapped, in a way.

Microsoft responded that they are working hard to continually improve the PDF experience in Microsoft Edge.

Now I think I will create a new thread within the Feedback Hub to report what I believe is an actual bug in MS Edge. And it appeared recently, perhaps around February 16, a few days before I started this question as a "Bug Report", perhaps due to an update
    for the whole system, while my first Feedback Hub message was posted a week or so earlier, I couldn't pool up the date, the Feeback Hub lists the bugs by most recent and most upvoted perhaps, but I couldn't bring up the date created for my Feedback Hub message.

Thank you for reading my reports and my dilemas.

Jairo

jairosoftwinphone, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft releases roadmap for PDF reader in Microsoft Edge

1. Microsoft releases roadmap for PDF reader in Microsoft Edge - Similar Threads - Microsoft releases roadmap

2. Microsoft print to PDF in Microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft print to PDF in Microsoft edge: When I print using Microsoft print to PDF printer option in Microsoft Edge it asked me for the destination for the PDF file to go to, which I then choose. However, it also automatically downloads to my Downloads folder giving me two copies in two separate destination folders....
  3. Microsoft print to PDF in Microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft print to PDF in Microsoft edge: When I print using Microsoft print to PDF printer option in Microsoft Edge it asked me for the destination for the PDF file to go to, which I then choose. However, it also automatically downloads to my Downloads folder giving me two copies in two separate destination folders....
  4. Roadmap for PDF reader in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Roadmap for PDF reader in Microsoft Edge: Over the course of last year, we worked hard on building a powerful PDF reader that offers compatibility, reliability, and security for you and your organization. The feedback we received from you from the Edge Insider builds has been really encouraging, and here are some...
  5. Is there any pdf reader of Microsoft?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Is there any pdf reader of Microsoft?: Is there any pdf reader of Microsoft? I have no PDF Reader so I am finding the most trusted Microsoft PDF Reader Except Edge. If there any please inform....
  6. Introducing Microsoft Edge enterprise roadmap and release schedule

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing Microsoft Edge enterprise roadmap and release schedule: Since releasing the new Microsoft Edge, we’ve heard feedback that customers, especially in enterprise environments, need more visibility into our feature roadmap and release schedule so they can plan deployments and prepare for upcoming changes. Today, we are...
  7. Microsoft Edge PDF reader alternative

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge PDF reader alternative: Hello, I have this issue I am having trouble with. I have a Microsoft surface. My surface got updated this morning. Before then, I could read all the pdf-s in Microsoft Edge application by moving the pages with my finger and then annotating/taking notes with my electronic...
  8. Windows Terminal 2.0 Roadmap released by Microsoft

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Terminal 2.0 Roadmap released by Microsoft: Overview This document outlines the roadmap towards delivering Windows Terminal 2.0 by Spring 2021. Milestones The Windows Terminal project is engineered and delivered as a set of 4-week milestones. New features will go into Windows Terminal Preview first, then a month...
  9. Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Edge and default PDF-reader.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Edge and default PDF-reader.: Hi, I've been looking for a solution for my problem for months now. Since I have Windows 10 on my computer, the default pdf-reader is constantly changed back to Microsoft Edge, despite all my attempts to make Acrobat Reader DC my default one. I have made the change of...
  10. Microsoft Edge extension API roadmap

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Edge extension API roadmap: Microsoft Edge extension API roadmap In addition to web APIs, the extension API allows extensions to achieve deeper integration with the browser host. This API gives developers access to Microsoft Edge’s browser features such as tab and window manipulation. Check out...