Windows 10: Microsoft releases tool to hide or block unwanted Windows 10 updates

Discus and support Microsoft releases tool to hide or block unwanted Windows 10 updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; "When Windows 10 arrives this week, Windows Update won't include that option, but Microsoft does have a well-hidden troubleshooter package, KB3073930,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Victek, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Victek Win User

Microsoft releases tool to hide or block unwanted Windows 10 updates

"When Windows 10 arrives this week, Windows Update won't include that option, but Microsoft does have a well-hidden troubleshooter package, KB3073930, which allows you to hide or block Windows Updates and, crucially, driver updates.

The package was digitally signed on June 15, and the accompanying Knowledge Base article is dated July 7, just a few weeks ago. The package is labeled for use with the Windows 10 Insider Preview, but based on its performance on the final (10240) preview build, it looks like it should work with the final release beginning July 29."

Microsoft releases tool to hide or block unwanted Windows 10 updates | ZDNet

:)

Victek, Jul 26, 2015
  2. J W Stuart, Jul 26, 2015
  3. Linney Win User
    Linney, Jul 26, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

Another page about it, doesn't appear to me as if an update can be blocked before having a problem with it. With all the issues that get posted in forums one could know which ones to block beforehand then block it/them, probably would make life a bit easier.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Berton, Jul 26, 2015
  5. Victek Win User
    I haven't installed and tested the troubleshooter yet, but based on reading the info I don't see why you couldn't run the troubleshooter and proactively hide a specific update. Someone just needs to run the troubleshooter when the next update comes available to see if it's listed.

Regarding Ed Bott's comment about System Protection being turned off in his Insider Builds, I wonder if that's common? I checked and it's On in my install of build 10240.

Victek, Jul 26, 2015
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    I have just hidden a Windows Defender definitions update that's available, but I haven't downloaded or installed it yet, so it does seem to be usable prophylactically rather than just reactively.

Fafhrd, Jul 26, 2015
  7. Victek Win User
    Thanks for testing and confirming; this is good news! *Nerd

Victek, Jul 26, 2015
  8. Geneo Win User

Little too late for me and a bunch of other nvidia users. Nvidia driver update fails miserably. And it is not easy cleaning up an nvidia installation.

Microsoft is going to have to back down from their utopian dream world.

Geneo, Jul 26, 2015
  9. I've been using this tool for weeks and it works, however has anyone found a way to easily/quickly disable/enable automatic updates wholly?

Also, I think a patch went out or something to resolve this particular issue, however unless you turn off W10 automatic driver updates as well this tools is useless for drivers. Doh!

nosecureboot, Jul 27, 2015
  10. erpster4 Win User
    I feel your pain. This is an embarrassing situation for both nVidia (for providing a bad driver) and Microsoft (for using forced or mandatory automatic driver updates to distribute the bad graphics driver) - a recipe for disaster. Always obtain driver updates from the computer manufacturer (unless the manufacturer is slow in providing Windows 10 compatible drivers).

Until Microsoft fine tunes their mandatory automatic updates policy (and limited it to just only Windows security updates), I'm not gonna upgrade my computers to Windows 10 anytime soon. I'll wait for several months until MS get things sorted out and then I may consider upgrading to Win10.

erpster4, Jul 27, 2015
  11. Limiting only to security updates. Well, lot of users, Including me have been facing real issues with those security updates, Which repeatedly refuses to get installed into the system and returning error messages on the update screen.

Shadow Delta, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft releases tool to hide or block unwanted Windows 10 updates - Similar Threads - Microsoft releases tool

2. Hide Updates Tool

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hide Updates Tool: If new windows update comes, i will hide this update then become up to date. After few days, i don't know i have to unhide this update or i have to leave it hidden first. Because i'm not ready for new windows update....
  3. Hide Updates Tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hide Updates Tool: If new windows update comes, i will hide this update then become up to date. After few days, i don't know i have to unhide this update or i have to leave it hidden first. Because i'm not ready for new windows update....
  4. Hide Updates Tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Forgot to block W10 Feature Update 1903 with Show or Hide Updates Tool

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Forgot to block W10 Feature Update 1903 with Show or Hide Updates Tool: I use the Windows 10 Show or Hide Updates Tool (wushowhide) every day to check what updates want to download. So I can hide them if I don't want them. Today, I forgot to hide the Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1903, on one of my computers before I shut down. So I...
  6. Microsoft’s Show or Hide Updates tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft’s Show or Hide Updates tool: Basically Windows 10 1809 does not work well with my systems at all. I have one Lenovo and one HP laptop that when the update installed the speed of the computers slowed down by maybe 25 to 35 percent. On each laptop if I unplug from a power source the screen just gets...
  7. Cannot Run Hide Update Tool on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot Run Hide Update Tool on Windows 10: Hello, I have a problem updating my windows 10 laptop with the KB4458469 latest update and the system keeps showing the Reverting changes message because some updates couldn't be installed. Microsoft support told me to run the Hide Update Tool from this link...
  8. Problem Hiding Unwanted Updates

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem Hiding Unwanted Updates: Problem back with 10547. Windows Update trying to install 15 year old driver for printer. Previously hid the update with Wushowhide and it was gone for months. Back again this morning. Reran Wushowhide and it showed the update was hidden but still there after restart. Any...
  9. Microsoft releases tool to hide or block unwanted Windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft releases tool to hide or block unwanted Windows 10 updates: Windows 10 testers who've complained about mandatory updates in Microsoft's new operating system might have a solution at hand. The tool, available as an optional download, lets you hide or block any update for Windows or a hardware driver. One of the most controversial...
  10. Microsoft Releases the Win 10 Tool That Helps Block Botched Updates

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Releases the Win 10 Tool That Helps Block Botched Updates: [img] Windows 10 TH2 finally brings Windows Update for Business With the release of Windows 10 Threshold 2, Microsoft says that its new desktop operating system finally becomes ready for the enterprise, as the update includes a series of new features specifically...