Windows 10: Microsoft releases Windows 11 24H2 to the Release Preview channel

Discus and support Microsoft releases Windows 11 24H2 to the Release Preview channel in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft has released the upcoming 2024 feature update for Windows 11 to the Release Preview channel. The update is available for testing ahead of its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 23, 2024.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft releases Windows 11 24H2 to the Release Preview channel

Microsoft has released the upcoming 2024 feature update for Windows 11 to the Release Preview channel. The update is available for testing ahead of its final release later this year.

The final version is expected to be released in September or October. It marks the start of Copilot+ PCs, which is a new PC class that is required to run most of the AI functions of the Windows 11 operating system. These PCs have new requirements, including a dedicated NPU chip.

The early release is noteworthy for a number of reasons:

• Windows 11 version 24H2 can't be installed on devices that have a processor that does not support SSE4.2. This is a new requirement that did not exist in earlier versions.
    • AI features that require Copilot+ PCs are not integrated at this point. This means that features such as Recall are not available for testing.
    • Cortana, WordPad and Tips are no longer available.
    How to get Windows 11 version 24H2

Microsoft releases Windows 11 24H2 to the Release Preview channel [​IMG]

There are two main options to install Windows 11 24H2 on a device:

• Join the Release Preview channel on an existing Windows 11 device and run a manual check for updates.
    • Download the ISO image and install it on a new / existing system.

The Release Preview option

1. Open Settings > Windows Update > Windows Insider Program.
    2. Select Get Started.
    3. Follow the instructions.
    4. You need to link a Windows Insider account. You can link a Microsoft account, but need to register first on the official website.
    5. Select Release Preview when asked to pick a channel to join.
    6. Once done, open Windows Update in settings and check the get the latest updates as soon as they're available toggle.
    7. Now click on check for updates. Windows Update should return Windows 11, version 24H2 now, which you may download and install.

The ISO option

Note: you still need a Windows Insider account for this one.

Download the Windows 11 24H2 ISO from Microsoft's website. You can then burn it to an optical disc or use programs such as Rufus to copy it to a USB device.

If you use virtual machines, you can install this version of Windows 11 directly using the ISO image.

A quick overview of what is new in Windows 11 version 24H2

Microsoft highlights the following features:

• Sudo for Windows.
    • HDR background support.
    • Energy Saver.
    • Rust in the Windows kernel.
    • Support for Wi-Fi 7.
    • Voice Clarity.
    • Create 7-Zip and Tar archives in File Explorer.
    • Bluetooth Low Energy Audio device improvements.
    • Copilot will be pinned like an app to the taskbar. This allows users to resize, move, or snap the Copilot window.
    • The apps Cortana, Tips, and WordPad are no longer available.
    • All Copilot+ PC AI features will be released at a later point.
    Closing Words

Interested testers can check out some of the functionality of Windows 11 24H2 by installing the Release Preview update. It includes core improvements, such as support for Wi-Fi 7 or integration of Rust in the Windows kernel.

The star of the show, at least from Microsoft's perspective, is AI, and it is notably absent from this release. Microsoft says that the features require Copilot+ PCs; first devices, like Microsoft's new Surface Pro and Surface Laptop, will become available in the coming weeks.

What about you? Are you looking forward to the new version of Windows 11?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft releases Windows 11 24H2 to the Release Preview channel appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 23, 2024
  2. Pauli O Win User

Windows 11 22H2 not showing in Release Preview.

Latest preview builds for Release Preview channel are:

-Build 22000.829 which is released for all users

Releasing Windows 11 Build 22000.829 to the Release Preview Channel | Windows Insider Blog

- Build 22621.xxx is for business insiders and optional for some home users as 'seekers experience'

Releasing Windows 11, version 22H2 to the Release Preview Channel | Windows Insider Blog

Now it seem that update to this build using 'seekers experience' isn't available anymore.

As told in build 22000.829 build release announcement:

We provided the option for eligible devices to update to a newer Windows 11 version during the out-of-box experience (OOBE) when you first sign in.

Is your device fully compatible with Windows 11?

You can download ISO for build 22621 and try use it for in-place update.

Using ISOs - Windows Insider Program | Microsoft Docs

Pauli O, May 23, 2024
  3. Pauli O Win User
    Moving from Insider Program's "Beta" to "Release Preview" channel

"There is contradictory information on how to move back from the Windows Insider "Beta" to "Release Preview" channel. It's supposed to be easy, says Microsoft, yet it's anything but."

Insider team open window to move from Dev to Beta when they released build 22581 on both channels on March 23, 2022. There is info when this windows will be closed, keep eye on insider blog. My bet is that this window will be closed before end of this month.

Quote from release announcement of build 22581:

• Build 22581 is also being flighted to Windows Insiders in the Beta Channel. Now that the Dev and Beta Channels are receiving the same builds, the limited window has opened for Insiders to switch channels if desired. Please read the details below about the limited window to switch channels and what happens when the window closes. The time is now for you to make sure you’re in the channel you want to be going forward!
    Home | Windows Insider Blog

>"After some recent, frequent, huge updates to Windows 11, spaced maybe one week apart"

This frequent will be slower when Dev step ahead of beta.

>Option 1. ... Does this mean that I would no longer be a Windows Insider? Or does it mean that at that time, I would be allowed to join the Release Preview channel?"

You can be insider if you wish, that's only option to stop getting previews when next Win11 version will be released to public.

>"Option 2. ... I don't even know if this is an option, but at least in theory, some future Beta channel preview could be a co-release with the Release Preview ... the choice of moving back from Beta to Release Preview will not be grayed out? But is this even in the cards?"

Yes, this should happen later this year around Sep/Oct when MS prepare to release Win 11 v22H2 to public. As current Beta and Dev builds it's already going to that direction.

Microsoft releases Windows 11 24H2 to the Release Preview channel 8d1d09a6-b845-46d7-b80a-c825c8cae045?upload=true.png

>"I'd of course prefer to stay with the Beta channel, but not if the time-consuming updates are as frequent"

As already mentioned this should slow down when Dev jump ahead of Beta and development team focus to get more stable Beta version.

This forum is dedicated for insider previews.

Redirecting

Pauli O, May 23, 2024
  4. Bert22306 Win User

Moving from Insider Program's "Beta" to "Release Preview" channel

There is contradictory information on how to move back from the Windows Insider "Beta" to "Release Preview" channel. It's supposed to be easy, says Microsoft, yet it's anything but.

After some recent, frequent, huge updates to Windows 11, spaced maybe one week apart, I can see that my "happy home" in the Beta channel may have to come to an end. The problem is, because the recent Windows 11 pre-releases are all co-releases with the Dev channel, the option to move back to Release Preview is grayed out. An added annoyance being, these updates always push an older graphics driver back into my PC, causing me to have to go back to the Intel site, for the new driver.

Best I can tell, there are only two options for moving back easily, meaning, without being forced into a clean install with the ISO method. Please, anyone who knows, elucidate me.

Option 1. In the Insider options, opt to stop getting any release preview versions. At some point, after a major public update of Windows 11, Microsoft would put me back on the public release schedule. Does this mean that I would no longer be a Windows Insider? Or does it mean that at that time, I would be allowed to join the Release Preview channel?

Option 2. The crux of the problem is that the recent Beta releases have been co-releases with the Dev channel. I don't even know if this is an option, but at least in theory, some future Beta channel preview could be a co-release with the Release Preview channel, as many had been in the past. Maybe when this occurs, the choice of moving back from Beta to Release Preview will not be grayed out? But is this even in the cards?

I'd of course prefer to stay with the Beta channel, but not if the time-consuming updates are as frequent as just one week apart, for heaven's sake. The Release Preview channel would be a good choice, I think. Please anyone who knows this detail let me know. Thanks.

Bert22306, May 23, 2024
Thema:

1. Microsoft releases Windows 11 24H2 to the Release Preview channel - Similar Threads - Microsoft releases 24H2

2. Windows 24H2 release date

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 24H2 release date: can i download windows 11 24h2 update by enablement package. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-24h2-release-date/a2f47f57-a339-4b1b-a677-0657df25e4cf
  3. Windows 24H2 release date

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 24H2 release date: can i download windows 11 24h2 update by enablement package. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-24h2-release-date/a2f47f57-a339-4b1b-a677-0657df25e4cf
  4. Microsoft releases KB5011563 Update Preview for Windows 11 stable channel

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft releases KB5011563 Update Preview for Windows 11 stable channel: The KB5011563 Update for Windows 11 is now available for users in the stable channel. The patch was released a couple of weeks ago for Insiders in the Beta and Release Preview Channels. [ATTACH] What's new in the KB5011563 Update The notification panel in the Alert Center...
  5. Missed the Release Preview Channel invitation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missed the Release Preview Channel invitation: I missed the invitation to go to the Beta channel and the Release Preview Channel . My computer does not meet the hardware requirement for Win11. How can I get the current version, 21H2 Build 19044.1147 KB5004296 downloaded so I don't have to wipe my computer?...
  6. Missed the Release Preview Channel invitation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missed the Release Preview Channel invitation: I missed the invitation to go to the Beta channel and the Release Preview Channel . My computer does not meet the hardware requirement for Win11. How can I get the current version, 21H2 Build 19044.1147 KB5004296 downloaded so I don't have to wipe my computer?...
  7. Missed the Release Preview Channel invitation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. windows 11 beta channel release

windows 11 beta channel release: when will windows 11 come to the beta channel In july yes but what date https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-beta-channel-release/24fc1fa2-fd50-4d31-a109-20d25b49df64
  9. When will Windows 10 21H2 be released to the release preview channel?

When will Windows 10 21H2 be released to the release preview channel?: As my device doesn't meet the minimum requirements to run Windows 11, it was moved to the release preview channel. Will Windows 10 21H2 Sun Valley be released? If yes then when?...
  10. Microsoft releases the first build of the Windows 11 Insider Preview to the Dev Channel,...

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft releases the first build of the Windows 11 Insider Preview to the Dev Channel,...: Microsoft has released the first Windows 11 Insider Preview Build to users to test before the free upgrade lands this holiday season. An ISO for this update has not been released, and the announcement post doesn't mention if an image will be made available. [ATTACH] The...