Windows 10: Microsoft removes fake Google Photos app for Windows 10 from Store

Discus and support Microsoft removes fake Google Photos app for Windows 10 from Store in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A Google Photos app recently hit the Microsoft Store (formerly known as Windows Store) and later we uncovered some evidence that confirmed the app was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Oct 15, 2018.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft removes fake Google Photos app for Windows 10 from Store

A Google Photos app recently hit the Microsoft Store (formerly known as Windows Store) and later we uncovered some evidence that confirmed the app was nothing more than a crap with ads that reportedly asked users to download a software.

The app was simply called “Album by Google Photos” and it published by a developer with publisher name “Google LLC,”. The fake app used icon similar to official Google Photos and Google LLC as publisher name to trick users into downloading it and then start bombarding them with ads.

Somehow the fake Google Photos app managed to bypass Microsoft’s certification process and it was recently published in the Windows Store. The reviews section of the app in the Microsoft Store revealed that it shows malicious ads.

Album by Google Photos has been pulled from the Microsoft Store following the reports from multiple users but it’s not known how many users downloaded it and submitted their credentials or experienced malicious ads.

Microsoft removes fake Google Photos app for Windows 10 from Store Google-Photos-app-review.jpg

The app asked users to enter their Google account information in order to access Google Photos features but it appears that the accounts were not compromised as the app loads the legit the Google logon screen. But still, you’re recommended to do a security review of your account if you installed the app and submitted the credentials.

Microsoft hasn’t issued a statement yet but the app is no longer available for download.

The post Microsoft removes fake Google Photos app for Windows 10 from Store appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Oct 15, 2018
  2. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft is purging a lot of low quality apps from the Windows Store

"Microsoft is sending emails to some Windows Store developers informing them that their apps have been removed from the Store for violating its quality standards."

"Neowin reports that app developers have been receiving these emails over the past couple of days:

In its latest review of the Store, Microsoft is evaluating if the published apps are good enough to be listed in the Windows Store. This includes publicly available apps as well as private beta apps. Additionally, Microsoft is also asking developers to delete any promotional campaigns for their apps to prevent advertising charges. Similarly, app name reservations are also being nullified; which means that if your app is unpublished, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to republish it under the same name.

Officially, the policies for the Microsoft Store says that apps must have "distinct and informative metadata" and "provide a valuable and quality user experience". There are also some specific standards that must be in the apps, including having a name that is not similar to another app or device, along with offering a description that is accurate about its features and functions.

There have certainly been many Windows Store users who have complained over the years about the large number of apps published that are clones of other apps or ones that are simply poorly made. Hopefully, this new move by Microsoft will help to curb these issues, at least for now.
    "

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-purging-lot-low-quality-apps-windows-store

P4-630, Oct 15, 2018
  3. WINDOWS 10 MICROSOFT PHOTO APP

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

The Photos app brings together pictures from all your devices using OneDrive, so that you can browse them by date, album or folder. It also automatically enhances photos, and creates albums for you, to showcase your best shots.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to change the Default apps in the setting app and verify the result. You may follow the steps in the below:

• Go to settings and system.
    • Click on Default Apps and select the appropriately.

Method 2:

I suggest you to reinstall Photo app using the PowerShell command
    and reinstall using the Windows store. Follow the below steps.

• Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
    • Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.

•   get-appxpackage  *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

More reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/photos

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Oct 15, 2018
  4. HTC
    HTC Win User

Microsoft is purging a lot of low quality apps from the Windows Store

Will they remove windows 10 too?

Thema:

1. Microsoft removes fake Google Photos app for Windows 10 from Store - Similar Threads - Microsoft removes fake

2. Pixel blur in the Photos app from Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pixel blur in the Photos app from Microsoft Store: In the new version of this application, I encountered the problem of blurry pixels when enlarging the image; for me it is important that the pixels do not change their appearance when approaching, as was the case in older versions. Question: How can I fix this in the new...
  3. Pixel blur in the Photos app from Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pixel blur in the Photos app from Microsoft Store: In the new version of this application, I encountered the problem of blurry pixels when enlarging the image; for me it is important that the pixels do not change their appearance when approaching, as was the case in older versions. Question: How can I fix this in the new...
  4. How to remove fake Google Reviews

in Windows 10 News
    How to remove fake Google Reviews: [IMG]Before going to a certain place, be it a shopping complex or a restaurant, I look for its reviews on Google. And on more than one occasion, I have been disappointed due to my high expectation. This raises the question of who to believe and who to not. In this post, we...
  5. Microsoft store not accepting apps from Google.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store not accepting apps from Google.: Completed recent update on Windows 10 build 1909. Microsoft store is not repond to commands to install Google apps. In settings apps Mircosoft store advance no response when terminate button is clicked on. Reset works. Uninstall is not available. Any suggestions to help...
  6. remove app from microsoft store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    remove app from microsoft store: Hi I published an app in microsoft store and i want to remove it . Is it possible ? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-app-from-microsoft-store/d2f9da44-3a38-4bbd-afff-29617aa70958"
  7. Cannot reinstall Microsoft Photos App from Store

Cannot reinstall Microsoft Photos App from Store: Microsoft Photos will not install. Photos would not call Maps from a photo file information. I reset Photos using Advanced Settings. The Photos App now shows on the Programmes and Apps list Start menu, but is not in the Apps list in the Settings list Apps&Features so it...
  8. Eight Windows 10 cryptojacking apps removed from Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 News
    Eight Windows 10 cryptojacking apps removed from Microsoft Store: [ATTACH] Microsoft has removed from the official Microsoft Store eight Windows 10 apps that had been caught mining the Monero cryptocurrency behind users' backs for the benefit of the apps' developers. The names of the eight apps are Fast-search Lite, Battery Optimizer...
  9. Google Photos app

Google Photos app: So I had the Google Photos app installed in my computer and I loved when I discovered that it was available in the store, recently I formatted my PC and while reinstalling all my apps I noticed that it's no longer there. What happened?...
  10. Microsoft removes Google’s Chrome installer from the Windows Store

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft removes Google’s Chrome installer from the Windows Store: Google published a Chrome app in the Windows Store earlier today, which just directed users to a download link to install the browser. Microsoft isn’t impressed with Google’s obvious snub of the Windows Store, and it’s taking action. “We have removed the Google Chrome...