Windows 10: Microsoft removes MSN and most ads from Windows 11's Weather App

Discus and support Microsoft removes MSN and most ads from Windows 11's Weather App in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released an updated Weather application for Windows 11 last month to development channels. The updated version turned the, rather basic,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 15, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft removes MSN and most ads from Windows 11's Weather App

Microsoft released an updated Weather application for Windows 11 last month to development channels.

The updated version turned the, rather basic, weather app of the operating system into a totally different product. The weather functionality was improved in the new version, and most users might have been satisfied with the update, if Microsoft did not decide to integrate MSN news and advertisement as well.

The homepage of the updated Weather app for Windows 11 looked like this. Users who scrolled down would get to the MSN news part quickly.

Microsoft removes MSN and most ads from Windows 11's Weather App new-weather-app-windows-11.png

For some users, the update felt more like its main purpose was to push MSN news to yet another app.

Microsoft appears to have had a change of heart though. As our colleagues over at Deskmodder spotted, a new update for Windows 11's Weather app changed things again.

The two main changes affect the display of advertisement and MSN news in the app. Microsoft removed all traces of MSN news from the Weather app again. Users who scroll down won't see news articles anymore powered by MSN when they do so.

Even better, the advert that the Weather app displayed on its main page has been replaced by information about sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset.

The new homepage of Windows 11's Weather application looks the following now after the update has been installed.

Microsoft removes MSN and most ads from Windows 11's Weather App windows-11-weather-app-update.png

Advertisement has not been removed completely from the application. The hourly forecast page still shows an advert and so do some of the other subpages of the Weather app.

The latest version of the Weather app is 4.53.51253.0. It is only available for development builds of Windows 11 currently, but will be pushed to stable versions of the operating system eventually.

Closing Words

Did Microsoft listen to feedback? When the company launched the updated Weather app, it received a lot of criticism for it on various blogs, sites and in videos. The integration of MSN news in the Weather app made little sense and felt out of place to many users of the app.

It is unclear whether Microsoft listened to feedback or had another reason for adjusting the changes that it made. The effect, however, is that the app's usability has been improved as a consequence, and that is something that most users will certainly appreciate.

Now You: do you use the Weather app on Windows 11?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft removes MSN and most ads from Windows 11's Weather App appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 15, 2023

2. MSN Weather App live tile keeps stopping

Hi,

Since you already completed the troubleshooting provided and it did not resolve the concern with the live tile of the MSN Weather app not updating, we suggest that you reset the MSN Weather app by following the steps below:

• Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings
      app and then select System from the list of options shown.
    • Under the System options menu, select the option on the left-hand panel labeled
      Apps & features.
    • Under Apps & features, scroll down through the list of apps installed on your computer and locate the
      Weather app.
    • Select the Weather app and then click on the link "Advanced options".
    • Once you have the "Advanced options" menu open, click on the button labeled "Reset".
    • Once you click on the "Reset" button another prompt will show up notifying you if you would like to complete the reset. Just click on the "Reset" button to complete the process.

Once you complete the steps provided, we suggest that you restart the computer first before you proceed to set up the MSN Weather app again and also verify if the live tile will update properly or not. If the steps still do not resolve your concern we suggest
    that you follow the steps on this
    link
    to provide feedback from within the app and provide as much detail as you can to resolve the concern. Refer to the section in the article labeled "Send ideas for improving the app" for the steps to submit your feedback.

Feel free to reach out to us for further concerns.

Jordan Dom, May 15, 2023
  3. P4-630 Win User
    Weather App not working windows 8.1

In the Reliability Monitor I noticed there was an successful Microsoft Bing Weather update today, I tried the weather app and it's working again! *Peace Microsoft removes MSN and most ads from Windows 11's Weather App :peace:
    Thought it was "MSN" weather before or they have changed it to "Bing" weather.

P4-630, May 15, 2023
  4. Drone Win User

Weather App not working windows 8.1

Ah so it got sorted out. Cool!

The app itself is called just Weather indeed. Online versions are MSN and Bing respectively

Weather forecast | MSN Weather
    https://bing.com/explore/bingweather

MSN weather works really good for me while Bing just gave another stupid error. Dafuq ...

Drone, May 15, 2023
Thema:

1. Microsoft removes MSN and most ads from Windows 11's Weather App - Similar Threads - Microsoft removes MSN

2. msn weather app language settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    msn weather app language settings.: MSN weather app has a language which is not my preferred one. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msn-weather-app-language-settings/69c032bf-9a0e-4009-ba69-a014a077432d
  3. msn weather app language settings.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    msn weather app language settings.: MSN weather app has a language which is not my preferred one. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msn-weather-app-language-settings/69c032bf-9a0e-4009-ba69-a014a077432d
  4. MSN Weather

in Windows 10 Customization
    MSN Weather: I used to have MSN Weather on my desktop and Taskbar. After an update it has disappeared. I'm not even sure it is installed. Can anyone tell me how to find it and get it back on the desktop and taskbar?...
  5. MSN Weather App broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    MSN Weather App broken: A few days ago I noticed the MSN Weather app stopped working for me. Specifically the forecast/home section is an infinite loading screen, same with favorites. All other sections seem to work. I've tried changing settings, changing permissions, location, and resetting the app...
  6. MSN Weather app from Microsoft Store does not work properly.

MSN Weather app from Microsoft Store does not work properly.: The MSN Weather app from MS Store doesn't work when in the Forecast Menu. The other sections do work. I've reset/repaired this app several times and also downloaded/reinstalled several times, including running sfc/scannow, CleanHealth/RestoreHealth, etc. It used to work on...
  7. MSN weather

MSN weather: How do I uninstall MSN weather? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msn-weather/ee1b59c9-c6b7-4265-aa4c-08fc5e895928
  8. MSN Weather App Bug

MSN Weather App Bug: In the MSN Weather App, it shows "Cloudy" on Fahrenheit, but it shows "Light Rain" on Celsius. Why is that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msn-weather-app-bug/f31cdab2-c9f5-455a-b83e-16f87f86e9b2
  9. MSN Weather

MSN Weather: After the last round of updates the weather apps favorites vanished I use open shell but have never seen favorites vanish before.Any clues why this happens? On 1803 with 10/9/18 updates....
  10. MSN Weather App not updating.

MSN Weather App not updating.: Anybody else's Weather App refusing to update? Mine's been showing the same temperature and conditions for the last 3 days. Its the same for multiple computers so I think the problem is with the data feed rather than the app. Just figured out that the problem is with...